U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM

2,332 posts, read 961,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You really must have some stones to bring up lies during this administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM

3,555 posts, read 1,404,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
During the Obama administration they did not raise SS income or the raise was minimal, then they raised the cost of medicare. For many it was a wash. This not only effects people currently on SS but it also effects future recipients.
The laws for SS Cola's and increases in Medicare premiums were passed in 1982. Blame Reagan.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 AM

34,037 posts, read 15,343,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The laws for SS Cola's and increases in Medicare premiums were passed in 1982. Blame Reagan.
Premiums rise in 2016

Medicare beneficiaries who have Part B premiums withheld from their Social Security checks—about 70% of beneficiaries—will continue to pay $104.90 per month for Part B. If you aren’t collecting Social Security yet or will enroll in Medicare in 2016, you will have to pay $121.80 per month in 2016. The $121.80 monthly premium also applies to people who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid and have their premiums paid for by their state. And if your income exceeds certain limits, you’ll pay more—from $170.50 to $389.80 per month

Medicare Part B Premiums in 2016

Old 05-13-2017, 07:30 AM

34,037 posts, read 15,343,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
So while my premiums doubled (now paying over $900 a month) because of Democrats, I should just give Democrats a pass?

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Premiums rise in 2016

Medicare beneficiaries who have Part B premiums withheld from their Social Security checks—about 70% of beneficiaries—will continue to pay $104.90 per month for Part B. If you aren’t collecting Social Security yet or will enroll in Medicare in 2016, you will have to pay $121.80 per month in 2016. The $121.80 monthly premium also applies to people who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid and have their premiums paid for by their state. And if your income exceeds certain limits, you’ll pay more—from $170.50 to $389.80 per month

Medicare Part B Premiums in 2016
These premiums rise according to laws passed decades ago. Why not ask your GOP Congress that's in charge now, to do something about it.
Fat chance as these repubs hate SS and hate Medicare. They want them to fail. Read Ryan's plan...privatize SS and put Medicare on a voucher system.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM

1,997 posts, read 2,261,544 times
Quote:
Some of us have clarity of thought to understand that SS is supposed to be just one source of income of the multiple sources of income in retirement.
So if Republicans decide the answer is to cut your retirement by say 30 percent, you're good with that? I have saved for retirement and believe I am in better shape than at least 3/4 of Americans but a 30 percent cut in SS pay-out would cause me some pain. For many folks it would drastically effect their quality of life. Paul Ryan still is very focused on getting rid of Social Security. It surprises me that so few people consider this issue when voting.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
So while my premiums doubled (now paying over $900 a month) because of Democrats, I should just give Democrats a pass?
This is about SS, not health care. Even so, good luck with trumpcare! Hope you don't have any pre-existing conditions.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM

2,332 posts, read 961,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
So if Republicans decide the answer is to cut your retirement by say 30 percent, you're good with that? I have saved for retirement and believe I am in better shape than at least 3/4 of Americans but a 30 percent cut in SS pay-out would cause me some pain. For many folks it would drastically effect their quality of life. Paul Ryan still is very focused on getting rid of Social Security. It surprises me that so few people consider this issue when voting.
My sentiments exactly. Thank you for validating this thread.

We all need to show Congress that we are not asleep at the switch. If we doze off, they will try something.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 AM

3,310 posts, read 2,387,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:36 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,060,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
When Social Security was first introduced, life expectancy was a lot lower than it is today. It only had to cover people for an average of five years. Now, with people living well into their 80s and sometimes 90s, yes, this program is in trouble.
Agreed.

Quote:
Something needs to be done, but considering what Republicans have done to repeal ACA, I wouldn't trust them to revamp Social Security. As it is, we're going to see a lot of older homeless people in the next twenty years if safety nets aren't put into place.
Well may I ask. When SS retirement ages were guess at back when program was established. What kind of work was the average worker doing?
My thought would be that it would be more on the physical side. So age 55 at the time made sense for someone to retire because of wear and tear on the body. And as you said earlier average death. But now I think we are more of a knowledge ecomony, and our health care is to the point, That maybe even 72 is not high enough for a "complete" retirement age.
Perhaps we as a society need to take a hard relook at when Elderly people as a group can and can't make a meaningful contribution in the modern work enviroment. And come up with a revamping of the SS system.

Of course all of society will probably need to take on a new mindset toward the elderly in the workforce and the expectation of what retirement is to/for the elderly to make a revamping of a program like this work. Whether we can do that..is something that remains to be seen.....and is up to us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies