Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,932,879 times

Advertisements

This is true in every State in the USA:

When parents are unmarried, Mother has custody of any child born out of wedlock. Furthermore, Father has ZERO parenting rights by default. What that means is that Dad is not allowed to see the child at all- not even 15 minutes- if Mom does not allow it. In fact, Dad will be arrested if he tries. The only way Dad can get any parenting rights at all is to file in court, which usually results in some small token amount. Almost never does Dad get custody in this situation.

So you have a situation where one gender is given 100% full rights, and one gender is given 0 rights. Nothing, zip, nada. Imagine if you will a scenario where the script was flipped, and it was decided that moving forward Dad was granted 100% parenting rights (Mom zero) when parents are unmarried. That story would be on the cover of every newspaper, it would be the lead on every news show, and it would be discussed on every radio show. Yet this subject is rarely if ever discussed now.

I believe that this policy rises to the level of a large scale human rights violation (remember, not only are Dads rights being trampled on, but also all children born out of wedlock). It's really not that dissimilar to slavery, or anti semitism, or discrimination against people that are handicapped. Perhaps the best analogy would be many decades ago when women were not allowed to vote. Of course that was wrong, why should one gender be given full rights and the other 0? How is this policy any different then women being prohibited from voting?

By the way, I have never been personally effected by this policy. I do have one child from a previous marriage, but I was married to Mom at the time so this has nothing to do with me being effected personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 01:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,392,760 times
I believe it varies by state, but that is the flip-side of unwed fathers being able to walk away without any obligations. This is why we have so many unwed, single, low-income mothers. Dads can walk away.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I believe it varies by state, but that is the flip-side of unwed fathers being able to walk away without any obligations. This is why we have so many unwed, single, low-income mothers. Dads can walk away.
Mothers can walk away as well so this is not gender specific and male is not the only gender who walks away, abuses or neglects.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:58 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,932,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It does not vary by State.

Unwed Fathers can also not walk away from their financial responsibilities anywhere in the country. However, unwed Mothers can walk away from theirs by putting children up for adoption.

You seem to be defending a system that blatantly and openly discriminates one gender.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,159,753 times
When these issues of unequal laws towards men are brought up, we very seldom see women give a damn. Women generally don't care about men at all and even discussing men's rights offends and annoys many women. The rub is that many women expect men to care about women's rights, but these same women feel no obligation to reciprocate.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:42 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,000,182 times
I don't feel oppressed at all.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:46 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,018,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
It does not vary by State.

Unwed Fathers can also not walk away from their financial responsibilities anywhere in the country. However, unwed Mothers can walk away from theirs by putting children up for adoption.

You seem to be defending a system that blatantly and openly discriminates one gender.
Unwed mothers can not give children up for adoption without permission of the father. If the father does not agree to the adoption and gets custody of the child the mother has to pay child support. If the child is adopted out both parents are relieved of financial responsibility.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,769,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't feel oppressed at all.
Try attending some family court hearings.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:48 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Solution for men: do not impregnate any women who are not married to you.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:50 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
OP: I do not have to defend anything, I am just stating that Mothers have the same options as Fathers after the child is born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies