Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think you are very wise.

I understand anger. It's often justified, and can be a great motivator in changing the world for the better. Hatred - true hatred - is a different thing. It's corrosive to the heart, mind, and soul, and harboring it is like drinking poison in the hopes that one's enemies will die.
There are many things I've been angry about in my life. I will admit that in some ways, I've dealt with anger in a destructive way. It is not good for the heart. I choose not to be a certain way by understanding that some things you should never do.

I understand that in many ways, anger did more harm to me than the person that harmed me. If I know there is something wrong, it is a good idea to speak out. However, turning into a bigot is a path to destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
No. I don't hate anybody because of who they support politically. The frustration comes when you're trying to have a fact based conversation with someone and all they can do is point fingers and deflect. Emotional thinkers baffle me in general. Weaponized propaganda has done a lot to divide this country. Some see it, some don't.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
No. I don't hate anybody because of who they support politically. The frustration comes when you're trying to have a fact based conversation with someone and all they can do is point fingers and deflect. Emotional thinkers baffle me in general. Weaponized propaganda has done a lot to divide this country. Some see it, some don't.
Even those who want to put a gun on your head and force you to pay for their compassion?

Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are many things I've been angry about in my life. I will admit that in some ways, I've dealt with anger in a destructive way. It is not good for the heart. I choose not to be a certain way by understanding that some things you should never do.

I understand that in many ways, anger did more harm to me than the person that harmed me. If I know there is something wrong, it is a good idea to speak out. However, turning into a bigot is a path to destruction.
Anger can be a great motivator.

I've been told things like I won't amount to chit for my beliefs or won't succeed with the attitude I have. It's not the 1950s.
It can never be done, and you sure as hell can't do it.
I've done things out of spite to prove yes it can and throw it back in their face.
Don't ever tell me something can't be done. I'll mcguiver the hell out of it to prove you wrong. I didn't need special service tools to disassemble a ZF6 to replace 3rd gear synchros... I didn't need to lift a cab off of a 6.4 to pull turbos and replace a high pressure fuel pump... beat the book time for pulling the cab by whole entire hours... Tell me it can't be done. Pfft.

As for bigots, pay no mind to them. Feed into their labels, stereotypes, or even pay any attention to them, and they've won. Ignore them instead of confronting them, they lose all power over you.
This election cycle sure did prove bigots exist on the left. Since us conservatives were labelled as bible thumping gun toting bitter phobosisticismists and nazi mysogynists who's privilege went unchecked...

We saw how well those divisive labels worked on election day now didn't we... and dems/liberals are still trying to figure out exactly why they lost, and what it would take to gain votes again...
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Americans are puppets of the politicians and the media. The politicians pull their strings and watch them dance. The media creates a controversy and watch them duke it out. All the while the politicians and the media are watching the money pour in. It's like taking candy from a baby.

Americans love to hate each other. It's an addiction. And politicians and the media are the pushers.
Don't underestimate our patriotism. We have a system that can remove our leaders. Emperors and Monarchy's do not.

Are you from China? You want to talk about suppressing its people.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Anger can be a great motivator.

I've been told things like I won't amount to chit for my beliefs or won't succeed with the attitude I have. It's not the 1950s.
It can never be done, and you sure as hell can't do it.
I've done things out of spite to prove yes it can and throw it back in their face.
Don't ever tell me something can't be done. I'll mcguiver the hell out of it to prove you wrong. I didn't need special service tools to disassemble a ZF6 to replace 3rd gear synchros... I didn't need to lift a cab off of a 6.4 to pull turbos and replace a high pressure fuel pump... beat the book time for pulling the cab by whole entire hours... Tell me it can't be done. Pfft.

As for bigots, pay no mind to them. Feed into their labels, stereotypes, or even pay any attention to them, and they've won. Ignore them instead of confronting them, they lose all power over you.
This election cycle sure did prove bigots exist on the left. Since us conservatives were labelled as bible thumping gun toting bitter phobosisticismists and nazi mysogynists who's privilege went unchecked...

We saw how well those divisive labels worked on election day now didn't we... and dems/liberals are still trying to figure out exactly why they lost, and what it would take to gain votes again...
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
What are you even talking about?

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What are you even talking about?
Giving real world examples at work using anger as motivation.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Giving real world examples at work using anger as motivation.
Okay, I see. I agree that anger can be a motivator. Hatred, however, is another thing entirely, and never constructive.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:47 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If you're an American, do you see a fellow American who has opposing political views to your own as someone you would wish ill will upon?
As a Democrat, I see someone with opposing Conservative-Republican political views as someone who I wish would educate himself.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If you're an American, do you see a fellow American who has opposing political views to your own as someone you would wish ill will upon?
In general no, those that want to declare trump president/dictator for life, yes, hang them from the nearest tree, where all Traitors to the Union belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies