U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 PM

944 posts, read 3,582,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
...we have been attacked on our own soil at the fault of Bill Clinton.
You're highly entertaining. Keep posting. What else can we blame on Clinton and those back-to-the-wall Lewinsky jobs?

I think it's his fault that the dinosaurs are extinct.

And he made my son gay. Oops, I don't have any kids. Wait, I'll think of something.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM

431 posts, read 294,559 times
Default Rich mommy and daddy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
What they were was a bunch of liberal elitists. Didn't they understand that those guys didn't have a choice but to go? Didn't they understand that without some rich mommy and daddy to pay their college tutition, they'd be in the same boat?

Wow. You sound like John Kerry. "Get an education or you go to Iraq." I'm sorry you feel that only uneducated people were in Vietnam. My father was there and he was a very educated man. It was his CHOICE to serve his country.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2006 at 05:32 AM..

Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'll admit: I was only 3 years old when the last US troops left Vietnam. But isn't the whole "protestors spitting on the soldiers" an urban legend? Is there one documented case of that actually happening? (My dad is a Vietname vet by the way.)

No, it's not an urban legend. My father served in Vietnam and came home to jeers, rather than cheers. My uncle experienced the same thing. Once I was grown and out on my own, my first neighbor was a Vietnam Vet and used to tell the horror stories of coming home to slurs and venom. He would well up with tears talking about it.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
My father served in Vietnam and came home to jeers, rather than cheers. My uncle experienced the same thing. Once I was grown and out on my own, my first neighbor was a Vietnam Vet and used to tell the horror stories of coming home to slurs and venom. He would well up with tears talking about it.
That is so horrible. I was a Vietnam war protester but I never disrespected the vets. I think that's disgusting to blame the soldiers for the misguided decisions of our government.

There is an excellent movie which deals with this from a leftist anti-Vietnam-war perspective but shows great respect for the vets themselves. It's called "Coming Home" and it stars, among others, Hanoi Jane. I hope you will watch this great movie and forgive Jane Fonda for being a dumb kid with a lot of naive ideas when she went to Vietnam and stood side-by-side with the "enemy." I think her heart was in the right place but her head wasn't screwed on straight, so please don't let her stop you from watching what I think is one of the 5 best Vietnam War movies ever made.

Bruce Dern and Jon Voight both created incredibly believable characters and the ugliness of BOTH sides of the war are shown without any final judgment about who was "right." In most wars there is no clear "good and bad" like there was in WWII, usually it's much messier as we're currently seeing in Iraq. We all need to have compassion for one another and work together to stop the killing and hate, regardless of our political persuasions.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,064,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
You're highly entertaining. Keep posting. What else can we blame on Clinton and those back-to-the-wall Lewinsky jobs?

And he made my son gay. Oops, I don't have any kids. Wait, I'll think of something.....
Didn't you hear? It was soy milk that made your imaginary son gay.

Soy milk that came from Clinton's cow, no doubt

Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That is so horrible. I was a Vietnam war protester but I never disrespected the vets. I think that's disgusting to blame the soldiers for the misguided decisions of our government.

There is an excellent movie which deals with this from a leftist anti-Vietnam-war perspective but shows great respect for the vets themselves. It's called "Coming Home" and it stars, among others, Hanoi Jane. I hope you will watch this great movie and forgive Jane Fonda for being a dumb kid with a lot of naive ideas when she went to Vietnam and stood side-by-side with the "enemy." I think her heart was in the right place but her head wasn't screwed on straight, so please don't let her stop you from watching what I think is one of the 5 best Vietnam War movies ever made.

Bruce Dern and Jon Voight both created incredibly believable characters and the ugliness of BOTH sides of the war are shown without any final judgment about who was "right." In most wars there is no clear "good and bad" like there was in WWII, usually it's much messier as we're currently seeing in Iraq. We all need to have compassion for one another and work together to stop the killing and hate, regardless of our political persuasions.

I've long forgiven Jane, although it was difficult......I just want everyone to support our troops regardless of their view of the war. There are 130,000 brave and honorable men and women fighting right now while we type and debate and exchange winks and snarls. They fight so we have the RIGHT and the FREEDOM to be in this forum. Support them - honor them - respect them - send them a Christmas box! Send them a phone card to call home once in a while (many can't afford the things we take for granted like cell phones and laptops). Disagree with the war - take it up with your respective representatives, but love the troops who keep our homeland safe while we sleep.

And I'll watch that movie :-)

Lannie

Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM

752 posts, read 596,987 times
Quote:
Unless they're willing participants. That makes them no better than the cheerleaders.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
...I just want everyone to support our troops regardless of their view of the war.
Ditto. I was opposed to the Iraq war when I took a flight to Los Angeles and sat next to a soldier who was on leave for a month. He had stories about his life in Iraq and what it was like there. All I can say is that I felt more honored to speak with him than I would if I had been seated next to Julia Roberts or George Clooney. This soldier is doing something I cannot begin to comprehend, it's an incredibly difficult war when they don't know who is going to shoot them, which cars might have bombs, they're getting conflicting orders from different commanders, and they're bogged down with heavy gear in weather that most of us would whine about if we were sitting by a swimming pool in bathing suits at a resort! I wanted to bow down to the guy but he probably would have been a bit creeped out by that...
Quote:
And I'll watch that movie :-)
If you actually do watch it, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it. It's dated but it captures those times very well. If you post about it and I don't see your post, please alert me with a PM pointing me to your post. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM

752 posts, read 596,987 times
Quote:
No, it's not an urban legend. My father served in Vietnam and came home to jeers, rather than cheers. My uncle experienced the same thing. Once I was grown and out on my own, my first neighbor was a Vietnam Vet and used to tell the horror stories of coming home to slurs and venom. He would well up with tears talking about it.
Did he go willingly to kill Vietnamese in their own country to "free them"?

It's a cop out to say you support the troops but not the politicians. The soldiers are as responsible as the politicians that sent them and the politicians are as responsible as the electorate that put them in office.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 PM

421 posts, read 244,744 times
Quote:

Hey you libs blame Bush for everything, I'm trying to even the stakes.

You guys blamed the Hurricane on him and the new ecoli scare An eye for an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies