Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

During the first Gulf War, he made much hoo-hah over the supposed hypocrisy of those who said they opposed the war but supported the troops. I cite another example of such a man. He was in the House of Representatives. His political enemies called him "Spotty" and implied he was a coward.

Want to see a picture of him? Take out a five dollar bill, he's on the front.
This is an interesting view of history. I did not know anything about this so I took a look at the record. While my research was not exhaustive, here is what I found:

Lincoln questioned the Mexican war but all of the battles involving this war were complete (in other words our fighting men were done fighting) and he wrote a document what wanted to know what the "spot" was that the blood was first shed. He mentioned the work "spot" several times, thus the nickname.

As for being called a Coward, it was not related to a war. On his inauguration day there was a rumor of an assasination attempt that would be made. He agreed to change his route and arrived incognito. For this he was called a coward, and he himself considered it to be the biggest mistake he made.

Now, if I am missing something, I am open to hear where else the spotty and coward comments apply to.

So, in addition I would love to know what makes you a conservative? Not saying you are not, but I am curious as to what are your core political beliefs that would align you with the typical conservative? (I am asking because very few conservatives would ever question the historic reputation of Lincoln).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRS View Post
Alright been reading all the "Im moving threads" and "Whats it like here" threads so I thought I'd throw something in different.

So how many are Rush Limbaugh fans? How many are "closet" Limbaugh fans?

I started to listen to him about 2 yrs ago. The very first time I had turn on his show was about 3 yrs ago and I was like......... This guy is out there!!!!! Nothing but stuck on himself and an ego maniac!! Granted I only listened for about 10 mins and he was probably on one of his "Every square inch of my glorious naked body" kicks. Since then though I've been listening to him just about everyday for a couple of hrs. (All I have time for) You start to learn that he isn't an ego-maniac. Since listening to him I've started to listen to Sean Hannity and Micheal Savage also. Savage is a little more staunch than Rush or Sean, but still a good listen. Although I'm not sure he really likes anybody. lol

Anyways with me coming from a Blue state and moving to a Blue state just thought I'd ask.
I am Michael Savage's number #1 fan. I like people that say it like it is.
Rush is not an ego-maniac he says all stuff to be funny and drive the Liberals nuts. Sean is a GREAT AMERICAN

Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
This is an interesting view of history. I did not know anything about this so I took a look at the record. While my research was not exhaustive, here is what I found:

Lincoln questioned the Mexican war but all of the battles involving this war were complete (in other words our fighting men were done fighting) and he wrote a document what wanted to know what the "spot" was that the blood was first shed. He mentioned the work "spot" several times, thus the nickname.

As for being called a Coward, it was not related to a war. On his inauguration day there was a rumor of an assasination attempt that would be made. He agreed to change his route and arrived incognito. For this he was called a coward, and he himself considered it to be the biggest mistake he made.

Now, if I am missing something, I am open to hear where else the spotty and coward comments apply to.

So, in addition I would love to know what makes you a conservative? Not saying you are not, but I am curious as to what are your core political beliefs that would align you with the typical conservative? (I am asking because very few conservatives would ever question the historic reputation of Lincoln).

I heard a Liberal call into either Ruch or Sean yesterday and said he was a conservative and was trashing Lincoln too.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 PM

180 posts, read 582,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
I am Michael Savage's number #1 fan. I like people that say it like it is.

His real last name is wiener... you could call him the savage-weiner...

Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
His real last name is wiener... you could call him the savage-weiner...

Wiener? Like in Oscar Meyer?

Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM

328 posts, read 239,837 times
Rush Limbaugh is fun to listen to (and also witty) if you have a mind of your own. There is no person in politics, on the radio or in the media in which you will totally agree with unless you are a total follower. I like listening to most of the people on talk radio who can refrain from name-calling and insulting people just because they disagree. Another point of view is refreshing and interesting if there is respect for all involved.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 AM

180 posts, read 582,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
Wiener? Like in Oscar Meyer?
yes exactly like the hot dog.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Savage is a nut job. And not even a fun nut job. He's an ill-informed meanie.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:12 PM

753 posts, read 758,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Savage is a nut job. And not even a fun nut job. He's an ill-informed meanie.
Hi,

Today's NeoRadicals are to modern Conservatism as the Radical Left was to the Progressives of the 1960s. Michael Savage, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are merely the Abbie Hoffmans, Timothy Learys and Allen Ginsbergs of our day.

Biographical factoid: Michael Savage and Allen Ginsberg were once ideological kinfolk. Coincidence?

Successful politics thrive where moderation and compromise exist. The gentle push and pull of conservativism and progressivism is healthy. But Radicals pull that balance apart. Radicals have an insidious way of taking over the agenda of moderates. Today, the NeoRadicals are the ones who have undeservedly taken the title of Conservatives.

So when we recall the statements 1960's era "thinkers", in today's terms they sound completely off the wall. But remember back then there were millions who responded to their goofball pronouncements with a resounding "Far Out, Man!".

The dittoheads of today should take note.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
To The Dufferz; I wasn't questioning the reputation of Lincoln. I was pointing him out as an example of a truly great man who the Limbaughs of the day criticized unfairly. Your history is right on, incidentally.

I think it's not only possible to oppose the war and support the troops, it's the only view that a responsible citizen who does oppose a war can take. You recall how our guys who came back from Vietnam got spit on and abused as "babykillers", etc? What did those idiot "protesters" think they were doing?

What they were was a bunch of liberal elitists. Didn't they understand that those guys didn't have a choice but to go? Didn't they understand that without some rich mommy and daddy to pay their college tutition, they'd be in the same boat?

Stuff like this makes my blood boil. It's one of the things that makes me consider myself a conservative. I think our current adventure in Iraq is an ill conceived train wreck. But I would NEVER FOR ONE MINUTE even THINK about cheating our guys out of anything, putting them down, or depriving them of anything but the best equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies