Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm already registered. I'm white. I am NOT going to go get another I.D. so I can vote and I am going to vote. There is no way to win this one for N. Carolina.

Can you reason what I just said above?
The ONLY ID you have is a voter ID card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:41 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Nice try with that trite little right-wing talking point.

The NC state legislature explicitly requested data on which types of ID were most likely to be used by Black voters, then crafted the law specifically to exclude them.

Court: North Carolina Voter ID Law Targeted Black Voters | Election 2016 | FRONTLINE | PBS
NC can barely be called a democracy at this point. Senate GOP just stripped education funding from Democrats’ districts.

Read more here: NC Senate Republican cut education funding from Democrats

Old 05-15-2017, 03:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Love this thread for how it perfectly exemplifies the differences in political views. Let's review:

1. North Carolina Republicans ask for demographic information on when and where racial minorities, specifically black people, vote.
2. North Carolina legislature then crafts a voting law that specifically targets when and where those minorities vote, therefore engaging in blatant voter suppression based on race.
3. Liberals rightly call it blatant voter suppression and demand the law be retracted. Conservatives claim IDs are easy to get and said laws protect voting, but don't address how and why the NC law was formed whatsoever.
4. The NC law is repeatedly shot down as unconstitutional, liberals clearly vindicated, but conservatives still talk about the ease in which IDs are accessible, continuing to ignore the racism and underhanded, unconstitutional attack on voting access.
5. Liberals fight for the rights of all to vote, conservatives attempt to limit them, get caught red-handed, make excuses and then accuse liberals of being too sensitive.

Listen up conservatives: Regardless of how easy you think it is to get an ID to vote, a law specifically created to suppress the voting of a certain demographic is wrong. And illegal. Period. If you want to fight for IDs, this is definitely not the example to fly your banner.
You forgot the judges making the decision did not even listen to opposing evidence when the first decision was made. It was a political decision rather than a decision where facts could be presented. I feel justice has been raped in North Carolina. That statement just tips the iceberg as to how angry I am that we cannot have voter I. D. that assures that only citizens of this state and not dead people and illegal aliens and college students who are legal residents of other states pick our representatives.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
YOU. ARE. BEING. DELIBERATELY. OBTUSE.

It has been documented that they asked for voting behaviors, based on race, and intentionally excluded the forms of ID most likely to be used by Black voters.
So, is ID only required in those districts or state wide?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The ONLY ID you have is a voter ID card?
It's the only one I need to vote. It's all I need to vote. You can't change the rules after the fact. You want me to get a new one next time I'm updated my D.L.? One probably could. If I don't drive? You aren't going to be able to force me to do anything.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
What is the reason why minorities lack the mental capacity to do what whites can do?

Do you believe it's genetics or a cultural trend of not promoting deductive reasoning skills?
It's rural poverty. Nobody is stupid. They just lack access and advantages.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
State was turning blue( like 2008), yes that was an embarrassment without a doubt.

on topic - voter ID does need to be required so that we dont end up with illiterate reps like Elijah Cummings-MD and Hank Johnson-GA
What was so embarrassing about not being backward hillbillies?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's more to it than IDs, not that you'd know by listening to NC Republicans. In fact, the NC Republicans carefully looked at what types of State IDs were prevalent among Afrivcan-Americans and decided that those sort of IDs wouldn't do. Oh no, not at all.

Frankly, I wish I was curious as to why the NC Republicans requested and got statistics on voter behavior by race, then restricted specifically the behaviors prevalent among African-Americans - early voting, same-day registration and straight-ticket voting. Sadly, I am not curious at all, because their motives are so very transparent. As are yours.

Why do Republicans pull stunts like this? It makes me hate them - anyone who participates in voter suppression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm female. I was not in danger in the bathroom. Nor would I have been.

Not any more than I've ever been.

That bill was stupid.

Cooper didn't steal the election. McCrory sucks.
Oh Gawd! McCrory! What an a$$. I thought they were going to have to get a crane to remove him from the office.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:02 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
So, is ID only required in those districts or state wide?
Reading is rewarding, you should try it.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm female. I was not in danger in the bathroom. Nor would I have been.

Not any more than I've ever been.

That bill was stupid.

Cooper didn't steal the election. McCrory sucks.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies