U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 PM
 
10,924 posts, read 5,011,244 times
Reputation: 5679

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Wow, some sickening thoughts posted here.

The rat pack was filled with dogs who took advantage of their status. They didn't have to date rape. Cosby didn't have to either. The whole *drug a woman until she lies there like she's dead* has to do with a sick mind. Cosby is sick in the head. It's not about sex.

And yeah, take a few nutballs out of the equation and you're still left with more than 40 women. Overestimate and take another 20% out for cash grab purposes and you're still left with more than 30 women.

More than 30 women didn't make this up and the victim blaming here is vile.
I agree with the bold for both the rat pack and Cosby. However, I don't believe for a minute that he is the only one who did the things alleged. Our culture back then was one that encouraged this sort of behavior in men. So I don't see Cosby as any worse than the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2017, 01:58 PM
 
10,924 posts, read 5,011,244 times
Reputation: 5679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bwah hah hah.....their "opinion" is to try to minimalize Cosby's actions by claiming that what he did was "common".

Some opinions are more insulting than others.

Also, did you just attack me for having my opinion?
I did not minimize his behavior.

I stated my opinion and also stated that I understand how Cosby can try to claim racism based on him being the only old Playboy to get criminally charged.

I don't think he was out victimizing women due to racism. I also do think he victimized women. But I don't think all the women who claimed to be victims actually are.

I also do feel that what he did in the 60s and 70s was common with certain segments of the population, especially entertainers who frequented the Playboy mansion like Cosby did. Many of the allegations that I do believe occurred at the Playboy mansion with Cosby.

Those of you who cannot fathom the idea of the others behaving similar to Cosby IMO are kidding yourselves. The whole culture of Playboy was partying and drugging and having sex. If a woman was drunk or under the influence of drugs and a man had sex with her back then it wasn't rape. If that happens today, it is rape. It was a cultural shift that re-defined rape. Cosby's main complaint in the manner IMO is that he feels he is being dragged through the mud when the other white men in the Playboy culture aren't.

However, I think he was an idiot, like Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly not to stop doing what he knew was illegal behavior by the 1990s. Some people get stuck in their bad habits and many bad habits are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
82 posts, read 22,842 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Wow, some sickening thoughts posted here.

The rat pack was filled with dogs who took advantage of their status. They didn't have to date rape. Cosby didn't have to either. The whole *drug a woman until she lies there like she's dead* has to do with a sick mind. Cosby is sick in the head. It's not about sex.

And yeah, take a few nutballs out of the equation and you're still left with more than 40 women. Overestimate and take another 20% out for cash grab purposes and you're still left with more than 30 women.

More than 30 women didn't make this up and the victim blaming here is vile.
I love this argument of more than 30 women didn't make this up. Well do you know the story of Emmitt Till? He was brutalized by a likely gang of white men in 1955. The town he died in - Money, Mississippi - had a population of about 400 people. An all-white male jury of 12 decided in less than an hour to acquit the two men who were involved in his abduction, Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam. Many years later, in a 2007 interview Carolyn Bryant Donham, the woman who lied about Till whistling at her, admitted to that she had lied about Till making advances toward her. The town of 400 said or did nothing to pursue the truth about what happened to Emmitt Till.

(reference: Emmett Till - - Biography.com)

The moral of the story here is that many people can lie and many people can believe a lie. Cosby is guilty of being a jerk and a philanderer. But I don't believe for a second that he raped all of those women because he didn't have to. He was famous and he had money. And a black man raping a white woman (or even accused of raping one) in the 70s would have had him strung by a tree in many parts of the country. The accusations alone would have been the end of his career - no Fat Albert, no Cosby show, nada.

Cosby is right - when it comes to criminal justice, race has, does, and always will play a role in court...particularly in the minds of jurors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Status: "Fly the W and NOW I know what the P stands for!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chitcago
10,898 posts, read 5,604,560 times
Reputation: 14563
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the bold for both the rat pack and Cosby. However, I don't believe for a minute that he is the only one who did the things alleged. Our culture back then was one that encouraged this sort of behavior in men. So I don't see Cosby as any worse than the others.
I don't know who "our culture" refers to, but I don't know anyone who would encourage this kind of criminal behavior.

Perhaps you grew up with a different crowd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
I love this argument of more than 30 women didn't make this up. Well do you know the story of Emmitt Till? He was brutalized by a likely gang of white men in 1955. The town he died in - Money, Mississippi - had a population of about 400 people. An all-white male jury of 12 decided in less than an hour to acquit the two men who were involved in his abduction, Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam. Many years later, in a 2007 interview Carolyn Bryant Donham, the woman who lied about Till whistling at her, admitted to that she had lied about Till making advances toward her. The town of 400 said or did nothing to pursue the truth about what happened to Emmitt Till.

(reference: Emmett Till - - Biography.com)

The moral of the story here is that many people can lie and many people can believe a lie. Cosby is guilty of being a jerk and a philanderer. But I don't believe for a second that he raped all of those women because he didn't have to. He was famous and he had money. And a black man raping a white woman (or even accused of raping one) in the 70s would have had him strung by a tree in many parts of the country. The accusations alone would have been the end of his career - no Fat Albert, no Cosby show, nada.

Cosby is right - when it comes to criminal justice, race has, does, and always will play a role in court...particularly in the minds of jurors.


Stop. Do you think race played a role in court when it came to OJ? And if so, did it work against him or in his favor?

Of course you're bringing up something from 60+ years ago which has zero relevance to this case, or even today in general.

Some of these women have claimed they told people at the time, they had to seek counseling, etc.

FEW women would undergo the scrutiny of being interrogated under oath unless it was true. In fact the opposite is more likely. Many women do NOT report such crimes because they don't want to endure being put under a microscope.

But wait, he even admitted it he'd slip women drugs. Are you saying he was making it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
82 posts, read 22,842 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't know who "our culture" refers to, but I don't know anyone who would encourage this kind of criminal behavior.

Perhaps you grew up with a different crowd.






Stop. Do you think race played a role in court when it came to OJ? And if so, did it work against him or in his favor?

Of course you're bringing up something from 60+ years ago which has zero relevance to this case, or even today in general.

Some of these women have claimed they told people at the time, they had to seek counseling, etc.

FEW women would undergo the scrutiny of being interrogated under oath unless it was true. In fact the opposite is more likely. Many women do NOT report such crimes because they don't want to endure being put under a microscope.

But wait, he even admitted it he'd slip women drugs. Are you saying he was making it up?

Uh, yeah! me and about 200 million Americans. Every friggin newspaper around the country wrote the OJ trial as a huge racial debacle. In OJ's case, it worked out well for him in the criminal case because Cochran and team were smart enough to paint the LAPD as a racist outfit.

Are you kidding? So I reference something historical but you say it has zero relevance when I pointed out its relevance while you you're only retort is...what exactly?

How the hell would you know what women would choose to go through scrutiny? You speak for all women? No? Didn't think so! And what you're saying in the context of a black man in the 70s is ridiculous which is why I brought up a historical event - a white women so much as accuses a black man of rape and he's a goner. That's indisputable. Heck, in the late 80s/early 90s the Central Park 5 were all jailed only to be later exonerated after the woman who was sexually assaulted recanted her testimony that the 5 men were the culprits.

And so what about him admitting he slipped the women drugs. What does that prove? That he's a rapist or that he likes his women drugged up? Using your logic, Woody Allen should be in jail since his own daughter spoke out about his sexual abuse habits. And yet, no one believes her enough to pursue criminal action against him. Not every woman who cries rape or sexual assault is truthful. Not even 30. As I told you a whole dang town in Mississippi though Emmitt Till whistled at a woman when in fact it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Status: "Fly the W and NOW I know what the P stands for!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chitcago
10,898 posts, read 5,604,560 times
Reputation: 14563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Has the drug thing also been proven, or is that something you just "heard"?

Last time I checked, Cosby wasn't found guilty of drugging anyone in a court of law.



And yes, rich celebrity males get women and like drugs. It's not necessarily something I need to "hear".
So you've got nothing. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 PM
 
Location: My House
25,212 posts, read 21,075,401 times
Reputation: 19816
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I do believe that Cosby is an old freak, but I don't think that all the women who came forward wanted justice served. I think they wanted money or attention, especially the crazies like Beverly Johnson and Janice Dickinson.

Knowing what I know about the recent case that will be going to court soon, she is one of only a handful I believe. But I do believe he's done it to other women, just not all those who came forward. Too many people look for money and attention. And I do see how Cosby himself would try to claim racism. But I don't think it was a factor. I think him not stopping his behavior is the factor and that it is a personal issue of his.
It is entirely possible that there are a few wild cards in the bunch, but I agree with your assessment re: why he's in so much trouble now.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Status: "Fly the W and NOW I know what the P stands for!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chitcago
10,898 posts, read 5,604,560 times
Reputation: 14563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Uh, yeah! me and about 200 million Americans. Every friggin newspaper around the country wrote the OJ trial as a huge racial debacle. In OJ's case, it worked out well for him in the criminal case because Cochran and team were smart enough to paint the LAPD as a racist outfit.

Are you kidding? So I reference something historical but you say it has zero relevance when I pointed out its relevance while you you're only retort is...what exactly?

How the hell would you know what women would choose to go through scrutiny? You speak for all women? No? Didn't think so! And what you're saying in the context of a black man in the 70s is ridiculous which is why I brought up a historical event - a white women so much as accuses a black man of rape and he's a goner. That's indisputable. Heck, in the late 80s/early 90s the Central Park 5 were all jailed only to be later exonerated after the woman who was sexually assaulted recanted her testimony that the 5 men were the culprits.

And so what about him admitting he slipped the women drugs. What does that prove? That he's a rapist or that he likes his women drugged up? Using your logic, Woody Allen should be in jail since his own daughter spoke out about his sexual abuse habits. And yet, no one believes her enough to pursue criminal action against him. Not every woman who cries rape or sexual assault is truthful. Not even 30. As I told you a whole dang town in Mississippi though Emmitt Till whistled at a woman when in fact it didn't happen.
Keep banging the same drum. That historical event has ZERO to do with this situation.

What does his admission prove? You think it doesn't prove anything?!!

It's clear some of you are protecting an individual - based on - some bias.

I'm sorry, I can't continue sparring with someone who steps in it at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
82 posts, read 22,842 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Keep banging the same drum. That historical event has ZERO to do with this situation.

What does his admission prove? You think it doesn't prove anything?!!

It's clear some of you are protecting an individual - based on - some bias.

I'm sorry, I can't continue sparring with someone who steps in it at every turn.
One thing is certain friend, you obviously don't read nor do you seem to have an appreciation for history. I'm not going to repeat my earlier examples because they apparently flew right over your head. I have no more of a stake in protecting Cosby as you have in denouncing him. Protecting Cosby doesn't fatten my wallet. What I do know is that you're conclusion that his admission of drugging of women is an admission of sexual assault is very faulty.

So since you'll no longer continue to "spar" (didn't know we were boxing here), since I bang the same drum ( hyperbolic cliché), I'll accept having the last word on this. Deuces!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM
 
42,631 posts, read 33,182,172 times
Reputation: 25743
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I did not minimize his behavior.

I stated my opinion and also stated that I understand how Cosby can try to claim racism based on him being the only old Playboy to get criminally charged.
So, without any proof you try to deflect from Cosby onto "white people" doing it too.

Most people would just be content saying, well cosby was a bad person. (color not being a factor)

But no, you have to make it a broad condemnation in order to deflect from Cosby for racial reasons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top