U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 PM

44,673 posts, read 35,325,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
What I do know is that you're conclusion that his admission of drugging of women is an admission of sexual assault is very faulty.
Yeah, I bet he painted their nails while they were zonked out.

WTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 PM

15,215 posts, read 5,509,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

WTF.
After I incapacitate a woman I usually like to do her taxes.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 AM

13,108 posts, read 6,564,671 times
Quote:

WTF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
After I incapacitate a woman I usually like to do her taxes.

It doesn't matter to some that he testified under oath that he had given Quaaludes to women he wanted to have sex with. People want us to ignore that fact.

This reminds me of the other thread discussing the teen dragging an elderly woman and then throwing her in the pool. To some, it was no big deal and he was just trying to impress his friends.

As I posted in that thread, it calls to mind the book by JD Vance where he excused all of the bad behavior of the "hillbillies" surrounding him as normal because he was unaware of what normal was, given his upbringing.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM

4,180 posts, read 2,779,474 times
Say it ain't true, Coz. But I'm afraid it is.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 AM

16,429 posts, read 11,916,398 times
Quote:
So, without any proof you try to deflect from Cosby onto "white people" doing it too.

Most people would just be content saying, well cosby is a bad person. (color not being a factor)

But no, you have to make it a broad condemnation in order to deflect from Cosby for racial reasons.

Same thing happened in the OJ trial. Everyone knew he was guilty but the bigger issue was he had to be defended as a brother fighting a racist LA police department. I doubt that Cosby will get the same treatment from the black community, but as you see there are people willing to make excuses for him.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:47 AM

24,399 posts, read 17,135,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It doesn't matter to some that he testified under oath that he had given Quaaludes to women he wanted to have sex with. People want us to ignore that fact.

This reminds me of the other thread discussing the teen dragging an elderly woman and then throwing her in the pool. To some, it was no big deal and he was just trying to impress his friends.

As I posted in that thread, it calls to mind the book by JD Vance where he excused all of the bad behavior of the "hillbillies" surrounding him as normal because he was unaware of what normal was, given his upbringing.
I read Hillbilly Elegy and I did not come away with the impression that Vance was giving his fellow hillbillies a free pass; quite the opposite actually.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 AM

44,673 posts, read 35,325,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Same thing happened in the OJ trial. Everyone knew he was guilty but the bigger issue was he had to be defended as a brother fighting a racist LA police department. I doubt that Cosby will get the same treatment from the black community, but as you see there are people willing to make excuses for him.
Frankly, from what I've seen the black community is not defending him.

We have some apologists trying to deflect because they don't want this to reflect at all on the black community (and it doesn't to any rational person). I'm sure there are some KKK types trying to do the opposite...I oppose both viewpoints.

There is no color to be seen here. Cosby has a long history of roofie-sex plus a few dozen accusers and a confession. His race, profession, religious back ground or shoe size have no bearing on what his individual actions represent.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 AM

12,342 posts, read 5,719,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't know who "our culture" refers to, but I don't know anyone who would encourage this kind of criminal behavior.

Perhaps you grew up with a different crowd.
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote earlier. My post was based upon the allegations that have been aimed at Cosby from women who did make allegations of his behavior in the 1960s and 1970s.

In the 1960s and 1970s there was no such thing as "date rape." Also, women were blamed if they got drunk and a guy "took advantage of them." This, along with his celebrity status is the reason why those allegations were not taken seriously back then. Many of the women, who I do believe he had inappropriate contact with, stated that he drugged them and raped them at the Playboy mansion. Others, under the guise of him mentoring them.

Do you think that women who were drunk or under the influence of drugs in the 1960s/1970s when they were at a party could claim to have been raped and the police/courts would consider that a crime? Especially if the alleged perpetrator was someone who was a celebrity like the men at the Playboy mansion were?

Also the "culture" I'm speaking of is the one of our general American culture in that women were blamed for being raped in these circumstances back then with near 100% condemnation by law enforcement and society in general - both men and women would blame the woman for putting herself in that situation.

Today, that is not the case all the time, though it does occur. Date rape is considered rape. Having drunk sex with a woman is considered rape. Having sex with a woman who is intoxicated by drugs is considered rape. No matter what occurred before the above, those, today, are rape. This cultural shift started occurring in the 1990s. I remember sitting through various lectures and programs that included both males and females that discussed what "date rape" was and what my rights were as a woman and warnings to the men not to place themselves in danger of prosecution by having sex with girls who were intoxicated even if they were in a relationship.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM

10,676 posts, read 7,972,550 times
what about having sex with a man when he is drunker than she is? Is that rape on her part?

I hate to be that guy but if a woman and a man are drunk he shouldn't be more liable than she is...

Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 AM

12,342 posts, read 5,719,172 times
Quote:
So, without any proof you try to deflect from Cosby onto "white people" doing it too.

Most people would just be content saying, well cosby was a bad person. (color not being a factor)

But no, you have to make it a broad condemnation in order to deflect from Cosby for racial reasons.

Bill Cosby didn't say anything about "white people."

I also didn't make a condemnation. I see you cannot view any sort of POV outside of your own (which unfortunately, is very common around here). I was giving you the angle that Cosby can make to claim racism. For people not so gung ho on "he raped all the women in the world" (in my whiny liberal voice) and who step back and look at the actual details of each alleged claim of sexual inappropriate behavior or assault, one can easily see if they go over the list of alleged victims that a large amount of them were in the 1960s and 1970s and that some of those victims were allegedly sexually assaulted at the Playboy mansion or parties associated with Playboy or they "dated" Cosby and the alleged assault took place at his home(s) in the 1970s/1980s. During those eras that behavior would not automatically have been considered to have been "rape" per above and especially since some of them allegedly occurred at the Playboy mansion, Cosby can claim the racism angle since there is no one else to my knowledge that has ever been charged with any sort of sexual assault or rape that allegedly occurred at the Playboy mansion. Due to the mansion being a place of partying, drinking, drugging, and orgies, it is not outrageous for me to believe (and know) that some sexual crimes took place there at some point.

You not agreeing with the angle above doesn't mean that it isn't an angle he can use in his defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies