Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Here we go again with the phoney cries of racism

--

(CNN)Weeks before his criminal trial begins, Bill Cosby gave a rare interview to a radio host, saying racism and "nefarious" motivations could be behind the allegations against him.

The interview was an unusual one for Cosby who has rarely addressed the accusations made by more than 50 women, many of whom say that he drugged and sexually assaulted them.
Cosby and two of his daughters are stepping up in his defense -- in what appears to be a media campaign timed right before his June 5th trial and jury selection next week.

Bill Cosby trial: Racism could be a factor, Cosby says - CNN.com
Of course racism. So when Roger Aisles was accused that was suppose to be racism too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what about having sex with a man when he is drunker than she is? Is that rape on her part?

I hate to be that guy but if a woman and a man are drunk he shouldn't be more liable than she is...
FWIW, I'm not here to debate drunk sex lol.

I personally think too many of these laws are too far reaching and I fear for my own son in today's age. I don't get drunk but I knew many girls in high school and college who did and who did so in order to get more "loose" and to "have a good time" and oftentimes that meant having sex with some boyfriend or random guy. I think these laws are too wide reaching and that there is a double standard in regards to men.

However, I will note that it would probably be harder for a man to be raped if he were drunk, depending on the man because alcohol affects some guys in a way that may make them not be able to....perform. But that doesn't mean a woman can't rape them in some other way.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I need Bill Cosby to swallow his pride and admit that he is a creepy old bastard. Quit playing the race card already. It demeans the times when people actually play the race card for a valid reason.

I'm black, and I grew up watching the Cosby show. Bill was a TV dad, I looked up to him. And I think it's true that he drugged and sexually assaulted those women. I'm disgusted by it.

Just a reminder that people we put on a pedestal are still flawed people. Sports players, politicians, actors/actresses, musicians. They've all got problems. Bill is definitely a sicko.
It's so easy to forget that. It seems to be human nature to want our heroes to be 100% good and our villains to be 100% bad, when the truth is much, much more complicated than that. A person can do great and admirable things in area of life, and be an absolute mess in another.

I would love for the accusations against him to be untrue, but an awful lot of women have come forward. It's hard to believe they are all lying. I'm usually extremely hesitant to dismiss charges of racism in any conflict, but this time it just doesn't quite ring true to me. Before all this came out, Cosby was pretty much universally beloved, by blacks and whites alike. If anything, his status as "America's Dad" makes me think that most people have accepted the charges against him reluctantly, and with heavy hearts.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I read Hillbilly Elegy and I did not come away with the impression that Vance was giving his fellow hillbillies a free pass; quite the opposite actually.
I wrote that poorly. He grew up thinking it was normal until he went off and started a life of his own, learning that the majority of people didn't behave that way.

Thanks for the catch.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Bill Cosby didn't say anything about "white people."

I also didn't make a condemnation. I see you cannot view any sort of POV outside of your own (which unfortunately, is very common around here). I was giving you the angle that Cosby can make to claim racism. For people not so gung ho on "he raped all the women in the world" (in my whiny liberal voice) and who step back and look at the actual details of each alleged claim of sexual inappropriate behavior or assault, one can easily see if they go over the list of alleged victims that a large amount of them were in the 1960s and 1970s and that some of those victims were allegedly sexually assaulted at the Playboy mansion or parties associated with Playboy or they "dated" Cosby and the alleged assault took place at his home(s) in the 1970s/1980s. During those eras that behavior would not automatically have been considered to have been "rape" per above and especially since some of them allegedly occurred at the Playboy mansion, Cosby can claim the racism angle since there is no one else to my knowledge that has ever been charged with any sort of sexual assault or rape that allegedly occurred at the Playboy mansion. Due to the mansion being a place of partying, drinking, drugging, and orgies, it is not outrageous for me to believe (and know) that some sexual crimes took place there at some point.

You not agreeing with the angle above doesn't mean that it isn't an angle he can use in his defense.
Narrative changed a lot between this post and the first page.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Of course racism. So when Roger Aisles was accused that was suppose to be racism too?
Racism killed Roger !

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah but we don't know if he really raped anyone though. Innocent until proven guilty.
Ohh, please...

fifty-some women don't just come forward to publicly share and humiliate themselves over a traumatic experience, for fun. I figured that after some came out, the rest began to feel there was "security-in-numbers". There are similar points to individual women's stories and they did not know each other, being from different periods in time, from the 60's through the 80's or 90's.

He continued doing so since he knew they wouldn't bring it up, that he had the upper hand due to his position and that they were alone with him (under his pretense of discussing their careers), or he paid some of them off, with them having to bury and live with the experience and shame. Besides, as someone stated here, there were those knowing him who could / can corroborate his behavior. I don't doubt these occurrences at all.

(The prez has functioned similarly. Certain types think they are entitled and have a way of getting away with something, but it can catch up with them).

Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
I have for a long time been a huge Cosby fan and at first didnt believe the accusations but testimony from years ago prove that drugging women and having sex with them is something he in fact did. Does this mean that all of the accusers are telling the truth? No. In fact i believe the vast majority are not. I think among them are multiple "casting couch" dupes, paying Cosby back for being a scumbag and not holding up his end of the bargain. There are also many 70s party girls who see an opportunity to allay the guilt of their drug induced, party girl promiscuity of their youth by revising the memory of some of those consensual drugged out encouters as rape.

But even a few telling the truth is a few too many and the piling on of the others doesnt take away from the seriousness of those who were truly victims.

As far as the claim that racism or something else nefarious is behind this (which i for the record strongly suspect to he a possibility), it is a different matter and has no bearing on his actual guilt. And it is his actual guilt, regardless of whether justice or something ulterior is behind it all, that warrants him now getting what he deserves .

Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LMAO

OJ Simpson Part Deux?

Ignored and denigrated the black community and their concerns, fears and trials for his entire career and now he wants to claim racism??? Cosby, BYE!
For a person who was so widely loved by all, this charge is a slap in all everyone's faces.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For a person who was so widely loved by all, this charge is a slap in all everyone's faces.
Who cares if he was 'widely loved by all'? A scumbag is a scumbag, whether the uneducated masses love him or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies