Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What can you use your vote for?
Anything I want. No limits. 1 16.67%
Anything I want as long as it doesn't include imprisoning or killing others. 0 0%
Only items government has enumerated powers to do, PLUS for any amendment to the respective Constitution. 5 83.33%
Most people shouldn't vote as they aren't as smart as me. I have all the solutions to problems. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people on here think they are entitled to use their vote for? Are there any reasonable limits to what you can or cannot use your vote for?

Can you use your vote to have government:

take other people's property, their earned income, to be used to pay for a fire truck and train and hire firemen? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to hire judges and police? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to be used to build and maintain roads? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to be used to create a government agency like the FDA (food and drug administration) claiming they exist to prevent people from being harmed, yet they are never held responsible when people are harmed and people ARE still harmed even though the agency exists?? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to be given to farmers if their crops (their risked investment) fails? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to be given to business owners or corporations if their business (their risked investment) fails? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to pay for free food for the poor? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to build housing for the poor? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their earned income, to purchase laptop computers for all kids K-12? Why or why not?

impose YOUR values, beliefs, morality and dictates upon society? If you answer yes, can others use their vote to impose THEIR values, beliefs, morality and dictates upon you? Why or why not?

take and condemn other people's property if it isn't up to code according to YOUR standards? Why or why not?

force your employer to give you a raise? Why or why not?

establish a minimum wage? Why or why not?

take 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% other people's property, their earned income, to be redistributed to you or someone else? Why or why not?

punish people via taxation for making more than they need or deserve? Why or why not?

take other people's property, their art or jewelry collection, to be redistributed to you or someone else or to be used to fund other aspects of government? Why or why not?

round up and jail or otherwise inter people of a certain race or religion because you don't like them or think them inferior? Why or why not?

kill people of a certain race or religion because you don't like them or think them inferior? Why or why not?

Again, are there any reasonable limits to what you can or cannot use your vote for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
No takers... How nice.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Anything that doesn't violate the Constitution. And no voting for adding amendments that would negate the Constitution as it is now. I'm fine with adding amendments that would enhance the Constitution.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
A vote as a citizen has literally only one purpose: it's a signature of support for a person to serve as a representative for you. My votes does not effect policy, only my action and representative do. If I want to affect policy, I'm better off either running for office myself, where my vote, if elected, can actually effect policy, or speaking with my congressmen or others in my district in hopes of convincing them to do the same.

Voting is, with the possible exception of protest, the lowest form of political action. It's the minimum requirement, not the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies