Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Both excellent points.
Questions that can be answered by researching the law and proper department policy and procedure.

A person who asks a question, but makes no efforts to find an answer is a charlatan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
The accusation of Trumps violation is:

18 U.S. Code § 1510 - Obstruction of criminal investigations

That is, if Trump did what was claimed, then he obstructed a criminal investigation.

Upon learning of this criminal act and failing to notify authorities, Comey committed:

18 U.S.C. 4 - MISPRISION OF FELONY

When a public official commits a crime, a failure to report is a felony.

So, basically... Comey is in serious trouble if this is true. He was required by law to report this, but then considering he didn't even understand the conspiracy law with Hillary, it isn't a surprise.
You're forgetting that the investigation was still in progress and the authority you mention is Comey himself.

You surely wouldn't have expected him to notify Sessions the DOJ head; Trump's puppet who would of course simply issue a carry-on while running down the hall to give Trump a head's-up? Er....are you?

You're cracking us up on here!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
The accusation of Trumps violation is:

18 U.S. Code § 1510 - Obstruction of criminal investigations

That is, if Trump did what was claimed, then he obstructed a criminal investigation.

Upon learning of this criminal act and failing to notify authorities, Comey committed:

18 U.S.C. 4 - MISPRISION OF FELONY

When a public official commits a crime, a failure to report is a felony.

So, basically... Comey is in serious trouble if this is true. He was required by law to report this, but then considering he didn't even understand the conspiracy law with Hillary, it isn't a surprise.
Report it to whom?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's assume for a moment that Trump used his position as POTUS to tell the head of the FBI to stop the investigation of Flynn. Lets say the memo details that. It would be a crime.

Now, why didn't Comey report that crime? Why would he wait until after he lost his job to report it?

You know that if he testifies that Trump committed this crime, Comey will be asked why he didn't immediately take it to the DOJ. Since the accusation, the POTUS forcing the FBI to stop a criminal investigation of a high ranking official, is extremely serious, what could be the justification for inaction?

The only testimony Comey could make without making it look like he agreed to not pursue Flynn is that Trump did not pressure him; otherwise, it would appear as though he made a deal and backed out only after he was fired.
Before I answer your question, I don't understand the point that you and others have made: "Why did he wait to act?" Isn't that the EXACT same thing Trump did with Comey? I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but Trump was given a pass because "he was too busy (golfing)" to fire Comey.

I think the reason Comey waited is because it's a HUGE deal, and he probably sought some council, and/or wanted to make sure his ducks were in a row. Like another poster said, he had very limited options on who to report it to, or whom he could trust, so a little bit of due diligence and care was in order. (Same applies to Trump.)

I don't think he's boxed in for this reason. He was not sitting on it for a "deal". He has a history of being meticulous, and in fact, if his notes were entered into his computer, there will be metafiles that time-stamp it. Should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't see how Trump obstructed an investigation.
That was not the point of my post.

"They" claim he did, my point was only to shown that "if" he did, what law he broke and how Comey broke the law by not reporting it as soon as it was committed.

Remember... this is all theory crafting right now because there is NO evidence to support anything being said, there is only unsupported allegations, and not even formal ones as it is all idiot blather on the mainstream media.

I think their claim to an obstruction charge is that Trump asked Comey to stop the investigation on Flynn. If this was done in any real pursuance of power or pressure, then it would be a crime on Trump's part of obstruction of justice.

Which then sets up the point I made.,

Fact is, this is all crap, and what is really sad is all the progressives are too stupid and lazy to do their own leg work on the very things they are making accusations of, which... implies they are lying, or just really that stupid. Either way, it amounts to typical lunacy of a progressive.

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
His responsibility is to the law first, and we have numerous means available to us to properly report such.

There is never a justifiable reason to sit on a crime.

If Comey had followed the law, someone else would know about this who was authorized to deal with such occurrences, yet who has stepped forward to validate this?

Nobody.

Why?
Who is authorized to deal with such occurrences?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Questions that can be answered by researching the law and proper department policy and procedure.

A person who asks a question, but makes no efforts to find an answer is a charlatan.

OOOh; "charlatan" nice Shakespearean word. LOL.

I notice you're afraid to step up and answer the WHO part. You know the resultant answer would have you being chuckled at throughout the next episode of "whose your daddy?"

Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're forgetting that the investigation was still in progress and the authority you mention is Comey himself.
Show me the law and the department policy and procedure that validates your claim? I validated my argument, now it is time for you to do the same.

Please, refer to the title and code, and the department lawful policy and procedure sections and codes.

Quote:
You surely wouldn't have expected him to notify Sessions the DOJ head; Trump's puppet who would of course simply issue a carry-on while running down the hall to give Trump a head's-up? Er....are you?

You're cracking us up on here!
I deal in the facts sir, not BS speculation.

Cite the law, or run along.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't see how Trump obstructed an investigation.
Attempting to: hinder, delay, or prevent the communication to a law enforcement officer or judge of the United States of information relating to the commission or possible commission of a Federal offense is considered obstruction of justice. Asking Comey to let it slide could be construed as attempting to prevent communication to the appropriate agency.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
OOOh; "charlatan" nice Shakespearean word. LOL.

I notice you're afraid to step up and answer the WHO part. You know the resultant answer would have you being chuckled at throughout the next episode of "whose your daddy?"
You asked for the law code, I provided it.

All you can provide is accusation and fallacious dismissals.

Keep it up, show everyone just how skilled you are in law and logical debate.

Give me a second, I am grabbing some popcorn and a beer. This should be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies