Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I was under the impression that in a capitalist system, demand for stuff created jobs.

How can a rich person who owns a business give me a job if nobody wants what he is selling?

There is a lot of money. It is all off shore. What happened to all the job creation the last time they cut taxes?
There's a huge causal link that people continuously overlook in "trickle down."

Because I have more money as a business owner does not mean I suddenly decide to start hiring people. That's foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:12 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that in a capitalist system, demand for stuff created jobs.

How can a rich person who owns a business give me a job if nobody wants what he is selling?

There is a lot of money. It is all off shore. What happened to all the job creation the last time they cut taxes?
You can demand things all you want. People have to have the money to make the purchase.

A rich person won't be rich for long if no one is buying what he is selling.

A lot of money is off shore because it's too expensive to be used here (high taxes and too many regulations). That's why Trump is looking to shift 20% of the taxes from the corporate tax rate to taxing imports.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Turkey gobbler go home.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
There's a huge causal link that people continuously overlook in "trickle down."

Because I have more money as a business owner does not mean I suddenly decide to start hiring people. That's foolish.
When they buy their 7th house (with the extra money from trickle down), they might hire a few more illegal house cleaners and landscapers. But they surely won't start hiring more workers unless they start selling more products and/or services that necessitate the need for more workers. Even then, they might offshore the work anyway, or outsource it to a company that uses offshore labor.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
When they buy their 7th house (with the extra money from trickle down), they might hire a few more illegal house cleaners and landscapers. But they surely won't start hiring more workers unless they start selling more products and/or services that necessitate the need for more workers. Even then, they might offshore the work anyway, or outsource it to a company that uses offshore labor.
Guess what else they buy - all of the stuff that goes in the home - roof, wall material, paint, plumbing, electrical, paintings, stereos, computers, yard furniture, pools... people have to manufacture that stuff as well - and construct it, and maintain it also. It all helps the economy. It all adds to tax revenue, assuming everything is above board.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
One - we have to realize the the upper income earners pay the majority of the taxes, so yes, they are going to get the majority of the cut benefits. Aside from the envy that people express - what if it helps? Tax cuts usually bring in more revenue... however, deficits are a function of revenue and spending.
]

No, tax cuts don't bring in more revenue. The only economists who still believe the Laffer curver are those that are bought and those that are loons. See the example of Kansas - the Republican government cut taxes and now their tax revenues have crashed.

Quote:
Two - I think Trump - by looking at taxing imports, is hoping to get companies to make their products here - which would employ more people and hopefully expand the pool of people paying into the system, which is a good thing.
No, it won't. The Smoot Hawley Tariff of 1930 was enacted to do what you propose would happen - that tariff was a failure in terms of job creation.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
A border tax while lowering corporate rates is exactly the kind of change I would expect from Trump. Since he began campaigning, he's been all about infrastructure. But the problem is the already brutal debt this country is carrying. And if/when business starts shifting from importing to US made, we'll have to deal with the higher costs of labor in this country, benefit packages which get choked by insurance companies, etc. Very complicated stuff.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sorry for interrupting the political gossip with some news that actually matters.

McConnell wants revenue-neutral tax plan, at odds with Trump

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that any tax overhaul can’t add to the growing U.S. budget deficit, a position that places him at odds with President Donald Trump, who has called for a significant tax cut.

McConnell said in an interview Tuesday with Bloomberg News that the nation’s “alarming” debt requires an approach that would balance tax cuts with new sources of revenue to avoid changing overall government receipts.

“It will have to be revenue-neutral,” he said. “We have a $21 trillion debt.”

In an interview with The Economist that was published last week, Trump said “it is OK” if tax legislation increases the deficit in the short term in order to “prime the pump” for economic growth.

One of the tax changes being discussed is a border levy tax that would tax imports 20%. I assume this to counter the corporate tax being lowered from 35% to 15%. Companies say that it would cause them to raise their prices. The companies would have to choose to pay the extra tax, or make more of their goods here. I'm OK what that.

Anyway - there is going to be a big tax battle on this.
Trumps tax cuts will add $7 trillion dollars to our national debt in the next 10 years, and then add $20.7 trillion dollars to our national debt in the next 20 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway.../#73f058d36554

Quote:
Will McConnell block tax cuts for Americans?
Trumps tax cuts will raise low income workers after-tax income by 0.8% and raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5% (one point five percent.)

Then Trumps tax cuts will raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%, and raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1164a57c65b9

Are Trumps tax cuts for Americans or the richest 1% of Americans?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
What happened to all the job creation the last time they cut taxes?
They took their tax break money and trickled it down in Asia.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Oh lookee here crooked mitch wants to continue the theft of earnings from working folks at all costs.
Where was his fiscal concern while obama piled up the debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies