Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

To the OP, plenty of stuff has been mentioned on this topic (such as, you know, the events that have been leaked this past week). And I won't go into detail about all of it (because I know you're being rhetorical and already have seen most/all of it). Sure none of it has been proven - and maybe it's all bunk (could very well be, I'm expecting it to mostly be). But there are investigations ongoing, and they must be seen to completion for the country.

This also just came out today (crazy, if true...probably not true, but who the hell knows anymore):

House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: 'I think Putin pays' Trump (Washington Post)

Non-WaPo link: House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: 'I think Putin pays' Trump (MSN News)

Quote:
A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the U.S. Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.
Quote:
Some of the lawmakers laughed at McCarthy’s comment. Then McCarthy quickly added: “Swear to God.”

Ryan instructed his Republican lieutenants to keep the conversation private, saying: “No leaks...This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

The remarks remained secret for nearly a year.
Of course - who knows - and there are plenty of denials.
Quote:
When initially asked to comment on the exchange, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, said: “That never happened,” and Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, said: “The idea that McCarthy would assert this is absurd and false.”

After being told that The Post would cite a recording of the exchange, Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: “This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor. No one believed the majority leader was seriously asserting that Donald Trump or any of our members were being paid by the Russians. What’s more, the speaker and leadership team have repeatedly spoken out against Russia’s interference in our election, and the House continues to investigate that activity.”

“This was a failed attempt at humor,” Sparks said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not sure we can say that definitively. Although I personally lean towards "not fully true" - even in some parts could possibly be shown to be true eventually.
Then your saying the FBI let a known Russian agent take the presidency? That's less believable and Comey should go to prison

Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
is that the document that has been utterly discredited? the one that alleges MR. Trump paid a couple of prostitutes to urinate on a bed because he wanted to desecrate the bed that Barak and Michelle slept on?

that "dossier"

and you want someone with a brain cell to take you seriously?
Why are you arguing with me? I didn't say the dossier was true. I say let's let an investigation happen.

I think if Trump had nothing to hide, he would have released his tax returns. He lost my respect when he allowed a foreign agent into his inner circle, and now fired the FBI director to protect him.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Do you people on the left understand that obama once said to the RUSSIANS, that when I get re-elected I'll have more leeway? Talk about collusion.....

The only thing anyone has, at this point is something anonymous....period...end of story....

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Then your saying the FBI let a known Russian agent take the presidency? That's less believable and Comey should go to prison
Well - it's mostly why I lean towards "not true". But we really don't know.

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I guess if giving classified information to a political adversary that undermined our allies, compromised our sources, and destroyed our credibility is not "something" then nothing is.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I guess if giving classified information to a political adversary that undermined our allies, compromised our sources, and destroyed our credibility is not "something" then nothing is.
We'll never know what hillary gave the anyone....

Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Pedro--- you will recall that I have said in many posts, that DT may not have done much at the beginning. Possibly just like with Nixon, it wasn't the "crime" that did him in, it was the cover up.

Nixon was very loyal to his inner circle and it is possible that DT is also. He does seem to have a thing for Flynn. There are some iffy things with Flynn and quite possibly that can be DTs downfall.

I also am somewhat willing to believe that there very well could be some "deals" that are rather suspect.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
it always boils down to money...and lying about, money. Stupid is up to his eyeballs in it and appears to be too stupid to have thought it through all the way.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
At the very very least, he played patsy. Let's look at it logically.

Trump bashes (quite nastily) everyone foreign and domestic...except Putin.

Trump campaign has lots of tentacles reaching out to Russians....Jared, Carter Page, Manafort, Flynn, and maybe Donny Jr.

Trump asks Comey to stop investigation of Flynn-Russian ties.

Comey keeps trucking on Russia investigation.

Trump fires Comey.

The very next day, Trump meets with with Lavrov and Sislyak at Putin's request.

Trump shuts out the US media and cameras at said meeting, but allows TASS Russian cameras and mics in.

Trump reveals intel that was received from Israel to Russians without running by Israel.

Trump threatens Comey.

So....maybe you can say it is all just a yuuggge coincidence, but it sure looks really really shady or really really clueless and dumb.

If you choose to decide Trump is simply that stupid and naive--well, that's your right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies