Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
annnd...there's the Godwin.
No no. I didn't actually say "Hitler" in that post. So I call illegal formation in the offense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM

345 posts, read 250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Looks like an interesting read--I put it on my wish list. I have studied the SS a bit in their various roles. This book looks to be quite informative. BTW, I do believe that the combat unit SS troops were legitimate in their outrage when they were branded an "outlaw organization" and lumped together with units such as totenkopfverbände and einsatzgruppen.

You could make a heckuva movie about SS Nord playing rear guard through Finland to escape to Norway. Shades of Michel Ney.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Without proof? Let's set aside the possibility of Russian interference in the election for a moment. Trump is still unfit and utterly incompetent to be president, and the events of the last week are ample proof of this. Trump leaked Israel's classified intel to the Russians, which, although technically acceptable, poses grave security risks. Every thought that enters his mind is posted on Twitter the moment he thinks it. He's as mature as a teenager (if that). He accused Obama of wiretapping him, which is libel. Every word he says is a lie. He has no clue how to run the country. He spends taxpayer dollars playing golf EVERY WEEKEND. He fires every staff member when they start investigating the Russia thing or when they annoy him. Is he even addressing the country's problems? No, because he's too busy taking care of his personal problems that he created. It's time for someone else to step in and for Americans to fire him.
For one thing, I was trying to set aside my personal opinion for a moment, in the spirit of the original question. If he is, indeed, impeached, the best thing would be for the case against him to be absolutely airtight. I agree that he is unfit, ill-prepared, and mentally unstable, but unfortunately, those things are not easy to prove, from a legal standpoint.

That leads directly to my second, and more important, point. If we do get around to an impeachment, do you want it to fail because the evidence is less than 100% solid? I don't. The results of a failed effort to impeach and remove him would be devastating to his opposition and to the country in general.

As for my personal feelings, I want him gone yesterday.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
It would take very little to make Fedgov "act" in a manner that would start a real crumbling of US Of Retardistan. You "make" Filthyfed do a REAL crackdown, out of necessity.......this is going to make a certain percentage of the population furious.......some would act on their fury.

I do not endorse or condone violence.......just laying-out one nightmare scenario. That scenario would TEAR APART this country like never before. And if this type "action/Fedgov-response" pattern became a regular thing...........more people would understand why Rulers in some countries rule with an iron-fist.

YES, for instance, a well-trained, heavily-armed, terrorist-group simultaneously attacked 3 major urban-centers during peak-hours.....that would kick-off a whole new set of Fedgov actions.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It would take very little to make Fedgov "act" in a manner that would start a real crumbling of US Of Retardistan. You "make" Filthyfed do a REAL crackdown, out of necessity.......this is going to make a certain percentage of the population furious.......some would act on their fury.

I do not endorse or condone violence.......just laying-out one nightmare scenario. That scenario would TEAR APART this country like never before. And if this type "action/Fedgov-response" pattern became a regular thing...........more people would understand why Rulers in some countries rule with an iron-fist.

YES, for instance, a well-trained, heavily-armed, terrorist-group simultaneously attacked 3 major urban-centers during peak-hours.....that would kick-off a whole new set of Fedgov actions.
Is this about...hmmm...

Actually, what IS this about?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You do realize that it's quite likely that any given SS officer in Nazi Germany would have said the same thing, right? Even though their nation had turned into an absolute dictatorship, for the most part. So, if the nation you vow to defend becomes a tyranny, you are still going to defend it?

That's your choice, of course. But I will say that most who so state do so because they are on the shelling out side of the tyranny rather than on the receiving end of it. After all, even that SS officer within Germany would have lived a quite comfortable life for a good ten years or so. Until those who really did believe in freedom came in and "repealed his brand freedom."

Well, at least we can agree on something...
No, this isn't about tyranny. The people who talk about busting up this country want to do so because they can't have their way just like the people who tried it in 1860 because they wanted to foist slavery onto the rest of the country.

Didn't work in 1860 and it ain't gonna work now.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 PM

345 posts, read 250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
because they wanted to foist slavery onto the rest of the country.
There really wasn't much interest in that aside from the wish to have their property returned if it escaped. The main interest in new slave states was a balance of power problem in Congress.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry but you haven't been paying attention if you think this is simply "Trump may have gotten loans from Russia"

There is so much more than that, including knowingly putting in a national security advisor AT THE SAME TIME as that person was being paid to represent the interests of foreign powers, and he was given authority to create policy with respect to the foreign countries he was receiving money from.

This isn't about being a sore loser . . . .
It certainly is. Every President for decades has been paid to represent the interests of a foreign power whose supporters he received money from (Israel). It's the ordinary course of business.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, this isn't about tyranny. The people who talk about busting up this country want to do so because they can't have their way . . . .
And it's a damn good idea. Why should people with irreconcilable differences fight over who gets to make the other side do things their way? Just separate so everyone's happy.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
A book recommendation:

"Black Edelweiss: A Memoir of Combat and Conscience by a Soldier of the Waffen-SS"

As usual, there's always more to it than you might think. Double Godwin points, BTW.
Just downloaded it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies