Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Bill Clinton was impeached due to him committing perjury, and many Republicans didn't really want to impeach him over that.

I'd have to find the quote, but I think it was a Republican Senator from Alaska, Stevens maybe, who said he could be shown a picture of Clinton with a gun over a dead body and he still wouldn't vote to impeach.

This hyper partisanship is like nothing seen in modern times.
All I can say to that is, wow. That's really disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
So, when I stated that I was happy to hear independent counsel would be investigating, was it Opposite Day?

This is symptom of what I'm talking about. People are so wrapped up in their preconceived ideas that they immediately make assumptions and ignore anything that may counter it.
I was responding to your first post. It wasn't until several posts later you said that and I missed it. Apologies if I misunderstood you, right now I'm not sure what your point is...

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
So, when I stated that I was happy to hear independent counsel would be investigating, was it Opposite Day?

This is symptom of what I'm talking about. People are so wrapped up in their preconceived ideas that they immediately make assumptions and ignore anything that may counter it.
It's on both sides. Cognitive dissonance is in full effect for the extreme right and extreme left. There is no talk from moderates, of which I am sure there are a majority. The hypocrisy from both sides is on display for all, and doing nobody any favors.

Speaking of hypocrisy, I'm pretty sure there were threads about Obama being the most divisive president ever, funny to see this thread so early on.

There needs to be a return to common sense. All this alt-right, alt-left crap is not going to accomplish anything except making enemies out of fellow Americans.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes, I agree, the peaceful transfer of power is being fought by Democrats and our democracy is in danger and that's exactly what Putin wants.
There are Trump supporters on here calling for civil war if Trump is impeached by a Republican congress, and you think it's Democrats who oppose the peaceful transfer of power? That is just...I have no words.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
This division isn't a new phenomenon. At all. Take a look at a map of the Confederate and union states. It looks eerily similar to our current political cleavages. The truth is we really never should have been a single country to begin with. It took a lot of cajoling and shoving square pegs into round holes to make it happen.

The states that are blue now have consistently wanted more federal control whereas the current red states have always wanted primacy for the states. This is all confused by the fact that the Republicans used to be the urban party and are now the rural party, whereas the opposite transformation happened to the Democrats.

Bottom line is thinking we can all be a big happy family is naive and unrealistic. Southerners have always hated Yankees and yankees have always thought of Southerners as backwards imbeciles. What we are seeing now is simply the most current manifestation of the same divisions we've always had and have never overcome.
So your "amicable divorce" would be along the Mason-Dixon line? How does that address any of the things I mentioned in an earlier post about the fact that there are very few states that are purely either conservative or liberal?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry but you haven't been paying attention if you think this is simply "Trump may have gotten loans from Russia"
Yes, that was my takeaway too, the OP seems to be playing a shell game.
OP, please clarify, exactly what is your beef that prompted this thread?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
This division isn't a new phenomenon. At all. Take a look at a map of the Confederate and union states. It looks eerily similar to our current political cleavages. The truth is we really never should have been a single country to begin with. It took a lot of cajoling and shoving square pegs into round holes to make it happen.

The states that are blue now have consistently wanted more federal control whereas the current red states have always wanted primacy for the states. This is all confused by the fact that the Republicans used to be the urban party and are now the rural party, whereas the opposite transformation happened to the Democrats.

Bottom line is thinking we can all be a big happy family is naive and unrealistic. Southerners have always hated Yankees and yankees have always thought of Southerners as backwards imbeciles. What we are seeing now is simply the most current manifestation of the same divisions we've always had and have never overcome.
Honestly, the fact that talk of breaking up the United States is done on such a matter of fact manner is worrisome. I've seen threads on here several times throwing out such notions. Such a divorce would be quite ugly.

BTW, I know we've been more divide which is why I said in modern times.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There are Trump supporters on here calling for civil war if Trump is impeached by a Republican congress, and you think it's Democrats who oppose the peaceful transfer of power? That is just...I have no words.
exactly. Knee-jerk reaction to blame Democrats for EVERYTHING no matter who does it. Nope. It's the people who think it's ok to believe in "alternative facts" who have caused the problem.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yes, that was my takeaway too, the OP seems to be playing a shell game.
OP, please clarify, exactly what is your beef that prompted this thread?
You might scan the threads on CD, watch the news, hop around the internet or just listen to people talk.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So your "amicable divorce" would be along the Mason-Dixon line? How does that address any of the things I mentioned in an earlier post about the fact that there are very few states that are purely either conservative or liberal?
No, it would be impossible to be only two countries for geographic continuity reasons. More likely there would need to be four or more. Set up trade and defense pacts like we have with Canada.

There will never be a perfect solution as far as liberal enclaves in conservative areas and vice versa. But we can do better than what we have now. What we have now is a recipe for there to be a 100% chance of widespread political violence at some point in the future.

All I know is that this can't go on, and it won't get better. No election or candidate will fix this. Even Jesus Christ couldn't fix this since probably half the country hates Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies