Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerZ View Post
Who is trolling whom?

16th Amendment states:
  • "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Article I, Section 8, states:
  • "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States."

Do you see those two things that I copied from the US Constitution? Do you? Can you explain to everyone what they say and what path they establish for taxation?

The Constitution was created to establish the power of the Federal Government...not limit it...establish it and its supremacy to the States.
Yeah? How is it that it limits the government's power then?

How is the first amendment not a limit on government power?

Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,160,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If we can do it across the board, fine. Bring all the soldiers home.
I would love that, but you nor I know how much demilitarization we can do and maintain our security.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
She was on Social Security and Medicare from 1974 to her death in 1982. As was her husband.
Those aren't a freebie public assistance program like Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid, Section 8 Housing, etc. One must have paid into SS and Medicare to be eligible for benefits.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I would love that, but you nor I know how much demilitarization we can do and maintain our security.
So.....if we are going to continue, continue we will. If we are going to continue to spend the money I'm going to argue that it help people as opposed to kill people that have done absolutely nothing to us.

"I would like to see them come home but we can't" isn't going to cut it.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerZ View Post
Who is trolling whom?

16th Amendment states:
  • "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Article I, Section 8, states:
  • "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States."

Do you see those two things that I copied from the US Constitution? Do you? Can you explain to everyone what they say and what path they establish for taxation?

The Constitution was created to establish the power of the Federal Government...not limit it...establish it and its supremacy to the States.
It doesn't appear that you have read many quotes of the founders. They tried to establish the necessary enumerated powers for the general needs of the states. Under the AoC the fed didn't have the necessary power to get fair participation for national security and treaties with foreign countries. While doing so they established enumerated powers and individual rights. It was not established to have the bloated central power we have now.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So.....if we are going to continue, continue we will. If we are going to continue to spend the money I'm going to argue that it help people as opposed to kill people that have done absolutely nothing to us.

"I would like to see them come home but we can't" isn't going to cut it.
The first and most important duty of the fed is to defend the country. If we can do it with no soldiers elsewhere, great. My guess is we have to have some amount of spread across the globe. But, I'm for making Europe pay the cost for our military presence in their countries. They should have to bare some of this cost.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,041,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The people who had defaulted on their mortgages got free homes. $2 Trillion worth of free homes. How does that not mean more discretionary income injected into the economy?

Do people really NOT know what happened?

Proof of the free homes:

Foreclosure to Home Free, as 5-Year Clock Expires - NY Times
Quote:
From your link:
Now a legal quirk could bring a surreal ending to her foreclosure case and many others around the country: They may get to keep their homes without ever having to pay another dime.
Come back with a link where it says they did get to keep their homes. Then we can agree that you proved something.

My idea of paying down mortgages of people who are struggling to pay their mortgages would reward those that are not gaming the system. Big difference.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Come back with a link where it says they did get to keep their homes. Then we can agree that you proved something.

My idea of paying down mortgages of people who are struggling to pay their mortgages would reward those that are not gaming the system. Big difference.
Really? What do you think is happening to that $2 Trillion? 9 years later, $1.8 Trillion worth of those Fannie/Freddie MBSes are still on the Federal Reserve's balance sheet.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,041,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? What do you think is happening to that $2 Trillion? 9 years later, $1.8 Trillion worth of those Fannie/Freddie MBSes are still on the Federal Reserve's balance sheet.
So how many people are keeping their homes free from any future foreclosure or forced payment? I am talking individual homeowners, not Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,261,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But that's not what you said. You said, "Pay taxes at gunpoint." That's never happened to me. Stop being melodramatic.
This is called being pedantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies