Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
So true. What's sad is Americans love to view the sick and poor as akin to the way people in India do regarding caste system. They probably think Manifest Destiny was awesome to.
I'm an American and I've long argued that we need to help the less fortunate.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Oppose in words only when it comes to the military and debt service.
Conservative views on military spending are fractured. Some support, some oppose, so you'll hear opposition only from those in the latter camp and see no action because of the politics of coalitions.

Opposition to the debt & most deficit-spending is pretty universal. Where there is disagreement is whether or not deficits are worse than higher taxation. You're seeing this split right now in practice between Trump & McConnell.

Anyway, this is kind of an aside to the main point I was making, which is that arguing against conservatives on the basis of infrastructure is a form of tilting at windmills.

edit:

Quote:
They probably think Manifest Destiny was awesome to.
Yeah, I think America being America and not just the 13 original colonies is a pretty good thing.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Conservative views on military spending are fractured. Some support, some oppose, so you'll hear opposition only from those in the latter camp and see no action because of the politics of coalitions.
As I said, words with no actions.

Quote:
Opposition to the debt & most deficit-spending is pretty universal. Where there is disagreement is whether or not deficits are worse than higher taxation. You're seeing this split right now in practice between Trump & McConnell.

Anyway, this is kind of an aside to the main point I was making, which is that arguing against conservatives on the basis of infrastructure is a form of tilting at windmills.
I've had many argue against it being done at the Federal level.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
They aren't. They don't even complain much about taxes going to programs that they don't use.

I mean, my husband and I don't have kids and we don't drive. But we don't complain (at least not often) about our taxes going to schools and the DMV.

But I have taken for granted the ability to go to national parks. To have clean drinking water. To walk on clean streets. Taking public transit. To be assured that there's a number I can call and trust for emergencies. To live somewhere with a virtually non-existent street dog population. To not have to live somewhere with open sewage. To walk home safely at night thanks to the street lights. To be able to read books in the library. To know that potential disease epidemics are being contained.

Etc etc.

If you want to know whether Americans are really against social programs, just propose taking all of that away and see how they'd like that.

There's little difference in concept between those, and universal healthcare. If the USA already had universal healthcare (*real* universal healthcare, not the ACA) and then tried yanking that away, there'd be an enormous outcry. And not just by liberals - but by most people, because they'd be accustomed to not having to worry about being made destitute if someone calls 911 for them in a medical emergency (and if insurance just doesn't feel like covering them). Just as people are accustomed to not having to manoeuvre around raw sewage as they walk 5 miles to the nearest market in the middle of dirt roads.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
I've had many argue against it being done at the Federal level.
An argument that the states would do a better job than the feds is a very different thing than an argument that something shouldn't be done by the government at all. That's about execution and efficiency, not whether it should be in the purview of the government or not entirely.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
An argument that the states would do a better job than the feds is a very different thing than an argument that something shouldn't be done by the government at all. That's about execution and efficiency, not whether it should be in the purview of the government or not entirely.
And then I've had people argue it should be voluntary. Those who argue for it to happen at the state level haven't bothered to explain how the funding will work.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
So true. What's sad is Americans love to view the sick and poor as akin to the way people in India do regarding caste system. They probably think Manifest Destiny was awesome to.
My stepfather was Indian, of an upper caste, and even he acknowledged the remarkable similarity when it comes to a lack of compassion for the poor. He's taken me there himself, and even though the caste system is technically now prohibited (except for some affirmative action measures to compensate for the past), I definitely noticed a difference in how different people were treated, and in their standards of living. Picture aluminium roof slums next to sleek modern high rises containing luxury stores.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-20-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 01:00 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
No they don't. You do an incredible disservice to all the single mothers that work their butts off to make ends meet for their families and still come up a little short.

Any chance you supported the guy that just grabbed them by the .......?
I WAS a single mother many years ago. Working full time, going to school in the evenings and volunteering as a Cub Scout leader on top of that. Don't tell me how tough it is now. Back in the day, if you were working, you were ineligible for any type of assistance, except free school lunches for the kids.

I do no disservice to anyone. You can't alter facts, and what I see on a daily basis M-F. And what difference does it make who I voted for? Gee, did I touch a nerve??

Old 05-20-2017, 01:04 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
They aren't. They don't even complain much about taxes going to programs that they don't use.

I mean, my husband and I don't have kids and we don't drive. But we don't complain (at least not often) about our taxes going to schools and the DMV.

But I have taken for granted the ability to go to national parks. To have clean drinking water. To walk on clean streets. Taking public transit. To be assured that there's a number I can call and trust for emergencies. To live somewhere with a virtually non-existent street dog population. To not have to live somewhere with open sewage. To walk home safely at night thanks to the street lights. To be able to read books in the library. To know that potential disease epidemics are being contained.

Etc etc.

If you want to know whether Americans are really against social programs, just propose taking all of that away and see how they'd like that.

There's little difference in concept between those, and universal healthcare. If the USA already had universal healthcare (*real* universal healthcare, not the ACA) and then tried yanking that away, there'd be an enormous outcry. And not just by liberals - but by most people, because they'd be accustomed to not having to worry about being made destitute if someone calls 911 for them in a medical emergency (and if insurance just doesn't feel like covering them). Just as people are accustomed to not having to manoeuvre around raw sewage as they walk 5 miles to the nearest market in the middle of dirt roads.
Well said. I am absolutely convinced that Americans are really no different than people in other developed countries. When we look at the resistance against taking away cherished social programs, it is abundantly clear. The only reason we still dont have universal healthcare and tuition free public colleges is the enormous power of the ruling donor class, their control of the media and the political system. Big money in politics is destroying the will of the people.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
I'm an American and I've long argued that we need to help the less fortunate.
You have argued to help others by using other people's money, not your own!

Not only that, you have argued that the government should force others people at gunpoint to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies