Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerZ View Post
Anecdotal evidence is not very good evidence. But I'm not doubting your sincerity.

My contention about the nails and waxing would be, so what? The pittance that recipients are paid pales next to the waste of defense spending and healthcare spending. So someone in a dead-end job with a miserable life reaches for the brass ring of a nice haircut or a frozen pizza. So what? That doesn't diminish me in any appreciable manner. I'm happy for them for doing it.

Nobody wants egregious waste. I don't. But I don't see a pair of new shoes as egregious waste. Do we really want to have an entire segment of our population living in abject poverty to suit the 'stoic' tastes of others? I don't. Considering most recipients of aid are single white mothers, I don't want the kids tortured any more than circumstances provide. It's tough not having a dad. No one to teach you how to catch a ball or ride a bike. Why make their lives meaner and tougher?

I think a government by and for the people should provide for the people. Why else are we here. I mean we don't even know what this is in the larger sense. But that's another issue.
I would agree if we all paid a capitation tax and equally divided the costs, but we don't, and that has created a "taker" class that has enslaved the productive/contributing class.

If you want social democracy-type programs, we'll have to change our tax system from progressive to regressive, the type of tax system social democracies have.

Many economists have studied this. More info, here:

How Social Democracies Are Able To Fund and Provide Comprehensive Social Programs

Why Danes Happily Pay Regressive, High Tax Rates - US News and World Report

Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I would agree if we all paid a capitation tax and equally divided the costs, but we don't, and that has created a "taker" class that has enslaved the productive/contributing class.

If you want social democracy-type programs, we'll have to change our tax system from progressive to regressive, the type of tax system social democracies have.

Many economists have studied this. More info, here:

How Social Democracies Are Able To Fund and Provide Comprehensive Social Programs

Why Danes Happily Pay Regressive, High Tax Rates - US News and World Report
Meanwhile the GOP make taxes more regressive AND cut programs.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:19 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Meanwhile the GOP make taxes more regressive AND cut programs.
They're nowhere near as regressive as they are in the social democracies. Make them so, and the cuts won't have to be made.

Review the info in the link:

"...This isn't an accident. UC Davis's Peter Lindert has argued in his book "Growing Public" that European social democracies were only able to develop the programs they did because they used efficient consumption taxes that didn't lower growth as much as progressive income taxes, particularly those on capital income. *European countries needed tax systems that could raise a lot of money without hurting growth, and only regressive consumption taxes fit the bill.*

...[Researchers] Prasad and Deng found that the progressivity of countries' tax codes is *negatively* correlated with the amount of redistribution they do. In English: The less progressive the [tax] code, the more progressive the system."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies