Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times

Advertisements

Flynn to invoke Fifth Amendment, rebuff Senate panel subpoena | Fox News

This was reported prematurely before they had the lawyers' final response. So what happens now?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

This was reported prematurely before they had the lawyers' final response. So what happens now?
Nothing will happen as all these congressional investigations will now get "I take the 5th" from any witness. Evidently this is the kind of thing that happens when a Special Counsel (prosecutor) is brought on to the scene. People clam up and won't say another word as everything they do say will be scrutinized and if it differs one iota from what was said in the past they will be charged with lying even if inadvertent.

I know I would't talk either, nothing to be gained and lots to be lost even if innocent.
I will be shocked if Comey shows up to testify although, he might just be cocky enough to think "it can't happen to me"...

Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i also would not testify before congress, even if i was not the subject of an investigation. all it would take is some congressman how was a bit more of an idiot than the others to decide i should be the subject of an investigation, or some overzealous prosecutor to decide the same thing, and suddenly i need a criminal lawyer.

so congress gets nothing from me, even if they give me permanent blanket immunity.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
they're going to ask for their secret decoder ring back

Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i also would not testify before congress, even if i was not the subject of an investigation. all it would take is some congressman how was a bit more of an idiot than the others to decide i should be the subject of an investigation, or some overzealous prosecutor to decide the same thing, and suddenly i need a criminal lawyer.

so congress gets nothing from me, even if they give me permanent blanket immunity.
You aren't the former top national security officer of the White House. Flynn had access to literally every secret the United States has.

When it comes down to brass tacks, Flynn may decide it's to his advantage if he testifies. He could possibly face some very serious felonies with very long prison sentences, and many criminals have been convicted without being forced to testify.

I'm sure Flynn has several criminal lawyers right now, as he is fully aware of the jeopardy he's in. Since nothing has started yet, all his announcement amounts to is Flynn won't be voluntarily testifying to the Senate like Comey will do today. His announcement isn't ignoring a subpeona; it's only an announcement that if he is under subpeona, he won't say anything. He will still appear, however, because failure to appear is a criminal offense in itself.

That is both men's choices.

For all we know both could be guilty or innocent. The only thing that we know for certain right now is one man wants to talk and the other does not.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Well then based on his prior logic regarding Hillary - he must be GUILTY!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

If someone told me I was under the microscope of the feds, I would not show up either.
You have every right to remain silent. What you say will always be used against you. It will never be used to help you. NEVER.
Show me the man, I will find the crime.

Are kids in public schools, being taught to give up their rights as if they never existed?
Kids these days, have no clue what the Bill of Rights actually says. They get told a summarized version, with all the unconstitutional language, approved by the politically appointed supreme courts, inserted.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
He is looking for immunity and congress has learned a lesson from the trial of Poindexter (Iran-Contra). He was given immunity when he testified before congress and it clouded the case of the special prosecutor and he dropped all the convictions. Mueller has clear issues where they can convict Flynn so there is absolutely no reason to muddy the waters at this point. If Flynn wants leniency he can tell all later on but right now it would be a mistake. Even without a special prosecutor he was going to avoid testifying, he has nothing to gain.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

I bet he learned that from Lois Lerner and the Obama administration.

So why did libs not have any problem with Lerner, Holder, and Obama's insiders "pleading the fifth" and being in contempt of congress, but now it is a big deal?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
This is common practice in both Democrat and Republican administrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies