Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 AM

589 posts, read 381,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Psst.........hopefully, someday the electoral/outdated system will change. Still, 3 MILLION, votes. And, Psst, we need to change the voting system; don't you think?
No, because if it had been the other way round, you wouldn't be saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Not. He has gained in many states. Can't remember now who gave the numbers, but he is gaining supporters, not losing. In Ohio, up something like 8%, I recall.
Would like to see your reference to the above.

I live in Ohio and haven't seen many polls about the state and our favorable/unfavorable views of Trump recently.

Last one I saw was from March and that was before the Comey firing.

I live in a rather "blue" city but I know a lot of "red" suburbanites here and even they felt that that was a bad move on Trump's part and makes him look suspicious.

Cleveland.com - Statewide Survey

From the link:

Quote:
Trump so far has failed to consolidate support among self-identified Independent voters, who make up nearly one-third of those who responded. This contributed to Trump having an overall slightly negative favorability rating, despite the "honeymoon effect" that's typically enjoyed by presidents in the early days of their administration.
FWIW I'm an independent. We actually have quite an independent streak in many parts of this state, that is how Trump got in office - lots of support from independent voters in Ohio.

He is not looking good with many independent voters here.

However, I do believe that many independents, like myself, were more than willing to give him a chance and was hoping that his more country focused rhetoric would be good for jobs and the economy here. In Ohio it is always about the economy. I think many here were willing to overlook the hysteria of the left, those of us who were independents. I know, I personally didn't think he'd be all that bad of a president, but as stated earlier, I was concerned with his lack of political/public service experience because I know that it is tough to navigate the political atmosphere. I honestly believe Trump is getting himself in trouble now with this Comey firing and today reports of him not providing the list of former lobbyist now working in his administration to the Ethics review committee. He is just making himself look bad unncessarily and for me, that is what will sway me to a complete negative view as an independent voter.

All of you, his staunch supporters, can overlook all this "Russia stuff" and him firing people and not following political traditions in our government, but many of us more rational, not entirely on his side voters, are not that loyal and especially not blindly loyal.

There is no "deep state." That is just something conspiracy theorists are aiming at in order to take the focus off of Trump not knowing ho to govern due to lack of experience. It takes a high degree of finesse to be able to be a public servant.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
yes he going be gone, but it not going be for anything he did, they will make up something
Why would anyone have to make up anything Trump does? For the President, he does crazy, out of the mouth, idiotic stuff. Blabbing and boasting to the Russians, about classified information, received by another country, in the Oval Office is just plain nutty.

I have known (sadly) many people who have suffered from dementia or Alzheimer's, and I think Trump is in the early stages of one or the other.

Don't forget there is article 25. Trump, hopefully will resign. (Why would "they," have to make ANYTHING up? Trump gives all the world what is on his mind on a gold platter.)

Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
No, because if it had been the other way round, you wouldn't be saying that.
No, Gore vs. Bush was the beginning of my thoughts that the electoral college should go away. The way our voting laws and the different systems in every state is way too easy to manipulate.

Our last election was so full of fraud and corruption; Comey, Wikkileaks, Trump and the Russian connections...............seems like a whole lot of shaking going on. You don't think there should be changes??? We are going to have future elections. The Presidential election is too important, to treat it like it is a high school pep club vote for cheerleader.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

He is not looking good with many independent voters here.

However, I do believe that many independents, like myself, were more than willing to give him a chance and was hoping that his more country focused rhetoric would be good for jobs and the economy here. In Ohio it is always about the economy. I think many here were willing to overlook the hysteria of the left, those of us who were independents. I know, I personally didn't think he'd be all that bad of a president, but as stated earlier, I was concerned with his lack of political/public service experience because I know that it is tough to navigate the political atmosphere. I honestly believe Trump is getting himself in trouble now with this Comey firing and today reports of him not providing the list of former lobbyist now working in his administration to the Ethics review committee. He is just making himself look bad unncessarily and for me, that is what will sway me to a complete negative view as an independent voter.

All of you, his staunch supporters, can overlook all this "Russia stuff" and him firing people and not following political traditions in our government, but many of us more rational, not entirely on his side voters, are not that loyal and especially not blindly loyal.
Nice post.

I'm a left-of-center independent (Bush 04, McCain 08, Obama 12, Clinton 16) and my view is similar, but maybe a bit more left leaning.

I didn't like him or vote for him. His campaign was brilliant. Targeting a variety of dissatisfied voting groups and giving them hope for change in the form of a boisterous, outsider. They did just enough to beat the ultimate status quo politician who was the epitome of arrogant and neglected the population he wooed to win. We can gripe about the electoral college all we want, but he campaigned smarter and he won.

And for that reason, I was willing to give him a chance and I expected a departure from some of the more over-the-top rhetoric. I actually thought that some of the bluster was just an act. But I was wrong. He gives legs to the Russia stuff with his impulsive actions. The media is in hysterics. It's hard to watch. But when he fires the guy investigating him as things are heating up, he looks bad. Comey was probably overdue to be fired; but if you're the president the timing is important. He choose poorly. He's got guys in his cabinet and congress defending his actions, then he comes out on Twitter and contradicts them. It doesn't look good. At all. Maybe there's nothing there. I actually feel that IF there's something there, it's not huge, and it's certainly not collusion with Russia. But he needs to be able to handle the negative media attention (every president has had to deal with it) and focus on the tasks at hand and he's failed to do that in epic fashion early on. Every time he "settles down," he's baited into being an idiot again. It's the one thing you can rely on him for.

Trump was elected to be the solution to what was perceived as a dysfunctional government. In a matter of 4 months he's found himself at the root of the dysfunction. He'll never lose his core- and it's a strong, vocal core. But he squeaked by in the election with a brilliant campaign and the perfect storm of strategic support. He can't afford to lose the independents and the people who were on the fence about him either. His base is as strong as ever, but he's not doing anything to retain the remainder of his supporters.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Love Trump, have been behind him since late 2015.
I find very little fault with his job to date......a bit, but not bad overall.
That said, he's toast. And the funny thing is, I think I always knew it would happen just like this. And it is something that NEEDS to happen, so I don't feel bad at all. Just as we needed him to win the nomination (bringing some light on the cockroaches in the process), so this process of impeachment and removal needs to happen. We need a "cleansing" of the GOP and our system in general, and the destruction of the Trump administration is certainly going to accomplish that in the long run. (But not in the way the leftists think........lol).
Goodbye, Good Old Boys and Girls Club of the Establishment Elite. Goodbye, lamestream media. Goodbye, Republican flunkies. You are going to regret this, but you're too dumb to see that now......lol

Bring it on....the faster the better (I hope he's out by June).
Falling prey to the media hysteria that refused to consider trump a serious contender.

swamp creatures on both sides of the aisle scream the loudest, exposing themselves as trump drains the swamp.

trump did nothing wrong and isn't going anywhere.

Now the media is searching its thesaurus and OED to psychoanalyze individual words, their root meaning, Latin and greek derivations and popular usage. News sounds more like a discussion in an english class or courtroom drama arguing over the use of the conjugation and present tense vs pluperfect..

The Trump supporters see the elitists play with words and sentence structure trying to figure out what trump is saying. Poor souls, can't adapt to a different style of communication as they try to fit their template to trump and can't understand him.

Years of lawyer speak generating supposedly clear language, given twisted legal meaning as the situation requires, have them all twisted and jerky.

Meanwhile the rest of America clearly understands trump and suppoorts him.

hey, you can keep your doctor if you like your doctor.PERIOD! still tryoing to figure out what obama meant when he spoke those crystal clear words distorted by the legal language prism.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Nice post.

I'm a left-of-center independent (Bush 04, McCain 08, Obama 12, Clinton 16) and my view is similar, but maybe a bit more left leaning.

I didn't like him or vote for him. His campaign was brilliant. Targeting a variety of dissatisfied voting groups and giving them hope for change in the form of a boisterous, outsider. They did just enough to beat the ultimate status quo politician who was the epitome of arrogant and neglected the population he wooed to win. We can gripe about the electoral college all we want, but he campaigned smarter and he won.

And for that reason, I was willing to give him a chance and I expected a departure from some of the more over-the-top rhetoric. I actually thought that some of the bluster was just an act. But I was wrong. He gives legs to the Russia stuff with his impulsive actions. The media is in hysterics. It's hard to watch. But when he fires the guy investigating him as things are heating up, he looks bad. Comey was probably overdue to be fired; but if you're the president the timing is important. He choose poorly. He's got guys in his cabinet and congress defending his actions, then he comes out on Twitter and contradicts them. It doesn't look good. At all. Maybe there's nothing there. I actually feel that IF there's something there, it's not huge, and it's certainly not collusion with Russia. But he needs to be able to handle the negative media attention (every president has had to deal with it) and focus on the tasks at hand and he's failed to do that in epic fashion early on. Every time he "settles down," he's baited into being an idiot again. It's the one thing you can rely on him for.

Trump was elected to be the solution to what was perceived as a dysfunctional government. In a matter of 4 months he's found himself at the root of the dysfunction. He'll never lose his core- and it's a strong, vocal core. But he squeaked by in the election with a brilliant campaign and the perfect storm of strategic support. He can't afford to lose the independents and the people who were on the fence about him either. His base is as strong as ever, but he's not doing anything to retain the remainder of his supporters.
ITA with the bold.

It is sad you staunch supporters cannot see t hat the bold is the truth and that Trump cannot stay in office without independent voters, who are the ones who put him over the top and gave him the election.

I also don't think that there is anything huge in his closet in regards to Russia, but I think his lack of experience is showing in regards to the dysfunction mentioned above. He is giving ammunition to those who are against him to take him down because he doesn't know how to be a steady leader and to control the flow of information in a precise, rational manner.

Those of you who do not see this. You are just blind IMO because you love him. But the rest of us don't love him like you do and due to that we are more likely to want a boring president.

At this point, I'd rather have Pence than Trump since Pence has some executive experience and knows how to deal with the media IMO. Trump seems to be in a constant state of dysfunction. We need steadiness and not hysteria.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Tick, tock, tick, tock . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies