U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 AM
 
9,078 posts, read 3,006,035 times
Reputation: 4057

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Its intent was to look like a bomb, I will never believe otherwise unless someone presents evidence of its intent predating the issue.

To the lay person, it does not look like a clock, but given Hollywood's influence, it does look like a bomb. Given the behavior of him, and the known past behavior of his sister, I am not surprised that anyone would have a "half feeling" that this may be a bomb, or intent to scare people to thinking it is.

I have been with EOD in the Navy when they blew a damn gym bag with clothes and a Nokia missing its cover because they thought it was potentially a bomb, so some of you posters can lay off a little on "what does a bomb look like."
That makes a lot more sense than does this clock. You cannot see what is in a gym bag so it could be something bad. I would think blowing it up is overkill. Make more sense to tie a string on it and pull it outside. There are lots of ways to tell whether it is dangerous without blowing it up particularly if you have it in the open or an explosion containment vessel.

And note they did not blow up the clock or evacuate the school. So obviously some knew it was not a bomb.

And an interesting example. Should a high school call a bomb alert every time it encounters an unaccompanied gym bag? Give the bomb squad lots of practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2017, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
18,868 posts, read 19,767,481 times
Reputation: 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was told to put it away. No one is going to tell a kid to put away a possible bomb.
What makes you think a freshman science teacher knows about bombs. Do you know any freshman science teachers. Do you know any teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM
 
67,616 posts, read 27,761,020 times
Reputation: 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What makes you think a freshman science teacher knows about bombs. Do you know any freshman science teachers. Do you know any teachers.
That's been covered. It gets old when you have to cover the same question 20 times. Don't be lazy, read the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
18,868 posts, read 19,767,481 times
Reputation: 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's been covered. It gets old when you have to cover the same question 20 times. Don't be lazy, read the thread.
What because YOU said every science teacher knows what a bomb looks like. Ok then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM
 
3,803 posts, read 2,975,729 times
Reputation: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you are stuck with putting words in my mouth, your argument has obviously run it's course.

I didn't put anything in your mouth. I asked a simple question that you refuse to answer which shows your argument has clearly run its course.




Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is not 1950's America anymore, Greg. Kids go to school with guns and kill a bunch of their classmates, and kids strap bombs to themselves and blow up a crowd of innocent people. The teacher was concerned and decided to be prudent, and protect the other children there.

If she had ignored it and if it had been something deadly, you all would be calling her names for not recognizing what was happening.

Very reasonable post, I'm not sure what part of this simple statement some people fail to grasp. The kid wasn't in trouble for bringing a cellphone or mp3 player to class. It was a odd looking device that could be mistaken for a home-made explosive, the kind favored by suicide bombers. The kind that has killed hundreds of westerners in the recent past.

Why in the world would someone think it is appropriate to show off a "science project" to your English teacher anyway? Why did he think this thing would impress his English teacher, or any teacher? If you want to impress your English teacher you write a nice poem or essay, not show her some strange electrical doodad that has nothing to do with the class. Did he expect her to give him an award for it? What kind of genius does that? I don't know how to explain this bizarre behavior except maybe the kid was sniffing too much Elmer's Glue. The kid had to be high, trying to scare people with it or both. And people are praising this kid as some kind of child prodigy? The cops probably should have tested him for drugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 AM
 
46,935 posts, read 37,860,826 times
Reputation: 29243
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Kid makes a simple clock. Ignorant teacher squirrel wrongly guesses it is a bomb and freaks out. Kid is dismissed for no good reason. Teacher is upheld in court.


Triumph of ignorant authority over simple investigation. 'Freedom and Justice for all" my arse.
Your own biases are running amok upon your logic skills.

The kid was trolling for a reaction, you see it here all the time it's practically the national pastime of teenagers anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Charlottesville
20,680 posts, read 21,758,290 times
Reputation: 8531

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEmSwJTqpgY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM
 
9,078 posts, read 3,006,035 times
Reputation: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
All that has been known since day one. It is not a technical achievement. So What?

He demonstrated that he knew enough to take apart a commercial clock and repackage it into a pencil box. If I was his engineering teacher I would have suggested he try something more interesting...say get a small microprocessor and program it to drive a clock.

But it was a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Charlottesville
20,680 posts, read 21,758,290 times
Reputation: 8531
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
All that has been known since day one. It is not a technical achievement. So What?

He demonstrated that he knew enough to take apart a commercial clock and repackage it into a pencil box. If I was his engineering teacher I would have suggested he try something more interesting...say get a small microprocessor and program it to drive a clock.

But it was a start.
Removing the guts out of a clock is smart?? He did no work except for removing it from it's plastic enclosure and sticking it in a small case. He designed and built nothing. In my book that's a F. As for this thread it could have easily been used as a timing mechanism for a bomb. If he would have added some rectangular beige erasers to it, it would have surely been taken to be a real IED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
 
9,078 posts, read 3,006,035 times
Reputation: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Removing the guts out of a clock is smart?? He did no work except for removing it from it's plastic enclosure and sticking it in a small case. He designed and built nothing. In my book that's a F. As for this thread it could have easily been used as a timing mechanism for a bomb. If he would have added some rectangular beige erasers to it, it would have surely been taken to be a real IED.
Never said it was smart. I in fact suggest it was an under achievement. I would however observe that 80% of the population could not do it successfully.

Again...so what?

Teacher should suggest a more interesting project. And the kid did not claim a big deal. Twenty minutes on Sunday evening is not a claim of high invention.

The rub in all this is it is clear no one thought it to be a bomb. There was concern that some might not understand it so he was told to keep it in his back pack to avoid problems. It is not clear that he did not follow instructions though he did plug it in during the English class. That teacher became aware of it when it beeped.

So they arrested him on quite phoney charge that it simulated a bomb. They knew it did not but used thast as a pretext. So yeah he may have a case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top