U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
 
6,306 posts, read 2,483,282 times
Reputation: 9052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is only one public Liberal who actually doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite, Bill Maher. I can respect him, even though I don't agree with him on a lot of issues. At least he is willing to say, all religions are ridiculous hypocritical crap responsible for most wars. He points out that Islam goes completely against the Liberal agenda much more so than Christianity and that Liberals shouldn't ignore the fact that 99% of terrorist acts are in the name of Islam. He probably hates Trump more than any public Liberal, but even he admitted Trump had a point when he tweeted after a terrorist attack that Obama and Democrats seemed more angry at Trump for mentioning the terrorist was a Muslim than the actual terrorist himself.

Bill Maher is pretty much alone on this, so may I ask why is it taboo for Liberals to say anything negative about Islam, when so much about the religion is against equal treatment of women, homosexuals etc?
I agree.

Honestly, I think the world would be a better place if religion either didn't exist, or was kept as private as the adherents would keep their bedroom matters.

It'd mean people would have to stop using religion as a convenient excuse for the real reasons they demand to have their way at the expense of others.

Then maybe rational discussions and peaceful negotiation could take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Tennesee
2,821 posts, read 531,802 times
Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I said PUBLIC... look at CNN, MSNBC, Liberal celebrities etc... what public Liberals are on the same page with Bill Maher, who openly admit Islam is horrible for women and gays and that we do need to accept most terrorists are Muslims?
Pardon me, I did miss that. Unfortunately, I don't share your enthusiasm for Maher. He is most harshly critical of Islam, but is pretty contemptuous of all religions and religious people, dismissing them all as gullible idiots. I don't care for that sort of blanket judgment. I am a Christian, but that doesn't make me some gay-bashing, snake-handling young Earth creationist who believes Adam and Eve had a pet dinosaur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM
 
2,291 posts, read 615,751 times
Reputation: 850
Well Christians won't kill a person who objects or ridicules our faith. The teachings of Christ and the apostles clearly teaches that the world hated Christ and killed him. How can Christ's descendants and followers not also pick up our own crosses. Now to the OP, I am a devout Christian. I love Protestant and Catholic teachings as well as Orthodox Christian teachings. Yet. I am a liberal Democrat. Those who oppose and ridicule my faith are OK with me. Jesus died for them just as much as he died for me. Also Christ thought enough to teach his followers to pray for our persecutors and to pray for those who mean to do us harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Status: "Wake Up America!!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Baptistan
3,621 posts, read 1,510,838 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is only one public Liberal who actually doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite, Bill Maher. I can respect him, even though I don't agree with him on a lot of issues. At least he is willing to say, all religions are ridiculous hypocritical crap responsible for most wars. He points out that Islam goes completely against the Liberal agenda much more so than Christianity and that Liberals shouldn't ignore the fact that 99% of terrorist acts are in the name of Islam. He probably hates Trump more than any public Liberal, but even he admitted Trump had a point when he tweeted after a terrorist attack that Obama and Democrats seemed more angry at Trump for mentioning the terrorist was a Muslim than the actual terrorist himself.

Bill Maher is pretty much alone on this, so may I ask why is it taboo for Liberals to say anything negative about Islam, when so much about the religion is against equal treatment of women, homosexuals etc?
I am the Bill Maher type of liberal. I despise radical Islam just as much as I do fundamentalist Christianity.

The issue comes from two things. First, most Americans have a lot more hands-on experience with Christianity so it's much easier for them to validly criticize it. I know the Koran has some serious bullsh*t in it but I couldn't begin to tell you what it actually says. I can quote some of the more disturbing parts of the Bible. Secondly, liberals have a tendency to want to give a voice to marginalized segments of the population and one could say that Muslims are marginalized in this country. At the very least, they have a stigma. The problem is, Islam at its core is against everything liberal values are about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:19 PM
 
6,648 posts, read 5,990,320 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is only one public Liberal who actually doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite, Bill Maher. I can respect him, even though I don't agree with him on a lot of issues. At least he is willing to say, all religions are ridiculous hypocritical crap responsible for most wars. He points out that Islam goes completely against the Liberal agenda much more so than Christianity and that Liberals shouldn't ignore the fact that 99% of terrorist acts are in the name of Islam. He probably hates Trump more than any public Liberal, but even he admitted Trump had a point when he tweeted after a terrorist attack that Obama and Democrats seemed more angry at Trump for mentioning the terrorist was a Muslim than the actual terrorist himself.

Bill Maher is pretty much alone on this, so may I ask why is it taboo for Liberals to say anything negative about Islam, when so much about the religion is against equal treatment of women, homosexuals etc?
They may just think Muslim extremist are nuts and it is par for the course.

They may reluctant to defend Christianity because they attended the Southern Baptist church as children. My kids had the chit scared out of them. And I did it to them. One daughter now works for a church. But it took her half a lifetime and years of therapy to understand she was not born evil.

Your premise that liberals think acts of evil are more often committed by Muslims but not condemned by liberals is faulty. Muslims harm their own more frequently than they harm Christians. All acts of violence in the name of the Creator are senseless, evil and cruel. The liberals I know condemn all of it.

Are you referring to people on tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Status: "Term limits" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dixie
569 posts, read 191,886 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am the Bill Maher type of liberal. I despise radical Islam just as much as I do fundamentalist Christianity.

The issue comes from two things. First, most Americans have a lot more hands-on experience with Christianity so it's much easier for them to validly criticize it. I know the Koran has some serious bullsh*t in it but I couldn't begin to tell you what it actually says. I can quote some of the more disturbing parts of the Bible. Secondly, liberals have a tendency to want to give a voice to marginalized segments of the population and one could say that Muslims are marginalized in this country. At the very least, they have a stigma. The problem is, Islam at its core is against everything liberal values are about.
And therein lies the issue ... liberals scream about a Muslim travel ban, but the core religion itself is contradictory to liberal values. So it's OK for Muslims to enter the U.S., but just don't throw any gays off rooftops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM
 
4,282 posts, read 982,239 times
Reputation: 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Not true, even the leaked emails from Hillary mentioned her team was disappointed when the terrorist attacker had a Muslim name. I'm not sure why Liberals, especially ones with public power defend Islam so aggressively. They make it sound like its a coin toss whether a Christian or a Muslim will conduct a deadly terrorist act, even Bill Maher said this is one reason why Democrats lost seats this election, their denial that Islam is has a major problem that enables people to use it to justify terrorist acts and treat women and gays like animals.
what you are saying has NOTHING to do with my post.

I answered the OPs question you just went off on a random Hillary rant.

And even if you were on topic you are still wrong. Her being disappointed an attack is by a muslim might be because she knows the loony toons will claim it means muslims are bad.

You may as well say Catholics are bad because they murdered prods for 30 years in Northern Ireland.

But i bet you don't think that makes all catholics bad do ya? You most likely would say. "No the RA was bad, not catholics".... and who cares what Maher says, did you elect him to represent you recently?

hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
 
40,082 posts, read 19,223,519 times
Reputation: 11310
How many times are you Conservatives gonna start this same exact thread??

Enough already! You're persecuted Christians that have sit by and watch Muslims takeover the whole world!

We get it! Ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Status: "Term limits" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dixie
569 posts, read 191,886 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How many times are you Conservatives gonna start this same exact thread??

Enough already! You're persecuted Christians that have sit by and watch Muslims takeover the whole world!

We get it! Ok?
Same number of times you liberals are gonna start a new anti-Trump thread.

Enough already !

We get it ! Ok ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM
 
2,442 posts, read 1,022,398 times
Reputation: 1400
I think many liberals fear Muslims, not respect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top