U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:16 PM

10,785 posts, read 14,787,713 times

Advertisements

I'm a cancer survivor. Cancer decimated my finances for years and completely derailed my career. It also made me uninsurable, when I was already considered high risk due to minor preexisting conditions. I could live a normal lifepan - another 50+ years - but my access to health insurance is paramount.

The ACA wasn't perfect, but any lack of protection for people with preexisting conditions is a direct threat to me and my family. It is FAR more of a threat than terrorism, immigrants, transpeople in bathrooms, or any of the other rallying cries I've heard in the past year from Trump and his supporters. I do not consider huge premium increases to be a protection. My cancer was considered metastatic, though I am now 6 years in remission and considered cured. Bipartisan policy wonks suggest that insurance rates for people like me could increase to more than double my income.

The career cancer derailed was one in diplomacy. The dangers Trump is putting our country, but especially those serving in the foreign service or in intelligence capacities, is damaging and concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM

9,514 posts, read 5,344,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, do his lemmings even remember that "repeal and replace ACA" was going to be accomplished on "Day One" of his presidency?

How about "trust me--Mexico is going to pay for that wall!"

I think they were trying to say nobody is thinking Hillary Clinton is going to become President when trump is impeached.

Most people (myself included) are likely happy about that

I would hope to hell that they are not that stupid to think that would happen. I did not say it in that manner. I just said that I am glad that she would not be president. Trump prevented that. He served a purpose. I guess some need reading comprehension.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,249,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Once again, I get it. I see all the same things we all do in terms of how Trump can put his foot in his mouth, the Muslim bans being too extreme, tweeting all night, not being sensitive, et all (did I miss anything?) I also get how Fox can be bias, just as MSNBC, and CNN. Furthermore, I get how Obama was less vocal and more behind the scenes. But lets face it, a Democrat isn't President.

So, why is it when you argue with liberals, they always take the stance that you are defending trump and not Conservative values? Why do they always associating a pro-America stance with love for Trump?

Lastly, why are the democrats playing such dirty hardcore defense, especially when you have the majority of MSM on your side?

At the end of the day, the Democrats will have their day and I really hope they don't have it this bad...
The title of your thread asked how has Trump affected my life.

If he gets his way as someone with a pre-existing genetic condition, which makes it more likely to have cancer, my access to medical care will be reduced if he implements his plan. More important to me since I will likely get by, is my daughter's access to medical care since she inherited the gene. And no you can not treat cancer in the emergency room as I heard one conservative Republican Senator assert.

His reduced environmental regulations makes it more likely that the environment will be negatively impacted (dirtier air and water).

His catering to Wall Street makes it more likely that there will be further preventable financial disruptions.

Its also likely that my taxes will be significantly reduced, with zero benefit to the US economy.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM

9,693 posts, read 2,892,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Once again, I get it. I see all the same things we all do in terms of how Trump can put his foot in his mouth, the Muslim bans being too extreme, tweeting all night, not being sensitive, et all (did I miss anything?) I also get how Fox can be bias, just as MSNBC, and CNN. Furthermore, I get how Obama was less vocal and more behind the scenes. But lets face it, a Democrat isn't President.

So, why is it when you argue with liberals, they always take the stance that you are defending trump and not Conservative values? Why do they always associating a pro-America stance with love for Trump?

Lastly, why are the democrats playing such dirty hardcore defense, especially when you have the majority of MSM on your side?

At the end of the day, the Democrats will have their day and I really hope they don't have it this bad...
Just curious; why do you think Trump and the GOP majority pushed through the internet spying bill that had 6% public support? What goes through the mind of Trump and his GOP allies when they sign such a bill? How can people not see that they dont represent the people, but the big money donors?

Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 593,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Just curious; why do you think Trump and the GOP majority pushed through the internet spying bill that had 6% public support? What goes through the mind of Trump and his GOP allies when they sign such a bill? How can people not see that they dont represent the people, but the big money donors?
Well that is just what happens when you install a cable/ISP company shill into the master position over the entity that regulates cable/ISP companies. What I don't under stand is how this is not blatantly obvious to ANYONE.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM

5,092 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I would hope to hell that they are not that stupid to think that would happen. I did not say it in that manner. I just said that I am glad that she would not be president. Trump prevented that. He served a purpose. I guess some need reading comprehension.
Well, what you said was ambiguous--could have been taken either way, but I assumed you were trying to "school" people on the fact a trump impeachment wouldn't put Clinton in the WH.

I can see where you were saying trump's main accomplishment was keeping Clinton OUT of the WH, but I disagree.

Really, when the actual election came down to a choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the entire nation lost.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM

8,539 posts, read 5,608,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well I am not "left" but here are the actual actions Trump has taken that I don't like:

Hiring drug warrior as AG
Hiring an ISP shill in place at head of FCC, who immediately started attempts to undermine net neutrality
Hiring an Oil Company shill in place as head of the EPA
Putting multiple Goldman Sachs shills in place in cabinet positions
Putting a Fast Food shill in place as head of FDA
Alienating allies and intelligence partners through reckless behavior
The spastic twittering

A lot of these actions will not begin to impact peoples every day lives for a while, as it takes time for cumulative policy changes to occur.

I like the round up of the gang members and the pressure being exerted on that front. Most of the rest of his decisions I am ambivalent about.
Not to mention who he hired as Education Secretary.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM

49 posts, read 22,174 times
The sooner you right wingers realize nobody cares about him beating Hillary the sooner you may get some sanity back. Do you think if Kasich or somebody won people would be this upset? Of course not, but you don't want to face facts. You think this is all about Hillary losing which it has NOTHING to do with her losing. Nobody cares about her losing. What people care about is the moron in chief rapidly destroying the country.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM

777 posts, read 956,678 times
Trump wouldn't bother me half as much if he weren't leading an all-out assault on the common citizen and blatantly pandering to his billionaire friends. Everything is about maximizing corporate profit. If it gets to the point where we are like China, where you can see the air and not drink the water, at least corporations will have made a lot of money before everyone dies. What could possibly go wrong with removing all environmental regulations from corporations and letting them do as they please? Let's also remove the safeguards that were put in place to prevent a repeat of the mortgage crash, so that the same people can cash in again at the expense of the rest of us.

His cabinet is a litany of detached wealthy people and campaign contributors, with dubious qualifications at best for the positions that they hold. Many have gone on record as championing the destruction of the areas that they are overseeing. He has surrounded himself with cronies, yes-men and family members who will never disagree with him or tell him that anything is a bad idea, no matter how unrealistic or ridiculous it is.

He also apparently plans to hand control of health care back to the insurance companies, and to allow them to charge extortionate prices to anyone who may cost them money. He wants to reduce spending on government programs, but only those that help people. If he were planning to balance the budget that would be a discussion worth having, but he plans to just shift the money to the military at the expense of food and medical programs without reducing the deficit. I won't even go into the atrocity that is the border wall, which will cost billions and solve none of the problems that result from illegal immigration. Not all immigrants cross the Rio Grande or the Mojave Desert. My solution? Go to the coast and walk around it.

I'm wondering how long the Republican Congress is going to go along with this dog-and-pony show after it begins to get really hot back home. People are catching on, even many who supported Trump in the election.

Last edited by orca17; 05-19-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,301,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well I am not "left" but here are the actual actions Trump has taken that I don't like:

Hiring drug warrior as AG
Hiring an ISP shill in place at head of FCC, who immediately started attempts to undermine net neutrality
Hiring an Oil Company shill in place as head of the EPA
Putting multiple Goldman Sachs shills in place in cabinet positions
Putting a Fast Food shill in place as head of FDA
Alienating allies and intelligence partners through reckless behavior
The spastic twittering

A lot of these actions will not begin to impact peoples every day lives for a while, as it takes time for cumulative policy changes to occur.

I like the round up of the gang members and the pressure being exerted on that front. Most of the rest of his decisions I am ambivalent about.
These are mine as well.
Also, IF Trump's tax plan passes (which is a big IF at this point), it would be great for me (self-employed spouse, 15% instead of 28%?! Yay), but bad for the country. A president and his proposals don't have to affect me, personally, negatively, for me to dislike his policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies