U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could have a dictator that expressed your political views, would you?
Yes 3 3.95%
Maybe 5 6.58%
No 68 89.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM

8,999 posts, read 4,899,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Are they though? For quite a few people, Nazi Germany was a pretty good place to live.

To answer the OPs question, no. It would probably be a little hard to make my views into a dictatorship since a pretty significant aspect of my views is the opposite of that... but hey, if it happened, I'd oppose it.

Yes! And how did that turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM

12,448 posts, read 12,846,963 times
I'd pass. NAZI Germany, Cuba and N Korea are perfect examples of dictatorships

Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 PM

39,792 posts, read 37,304,547 times
Never. I like having a democracy, not a dictatorship.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM

4,408 posts, read 2,379,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Hillary/Obama supporters showing a rare burst of honesty.
That's fresh. From these kind of threads, I have to imagine it's people that are for some reason infatuated with the current President enough that they'd rather see him be a dictator than be removed because of wrongdoings.

Democrats are Playing With Fire.

The Media Has No Idea Their Playing With Fire; Trump Supporters Will Not Allow The Deep State To Overturn An Election

I don't care what party is in power - we are not a dictatorship.

p.s. in retrospect, it's likely just a troll trying to stir the pot.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 357,429 times
It's funny, the voting overwhelming says that people wouldn't want a dictator - but I can't help but wonder how many Republicans were in that poll, and if they realize that exactly what they voted for. It was clear then, and even more clear now, that at heart Trump is a wannabe dictator. You can see it in his expectation of being obeyed even with unconstitutional proposals. You can see it in his insulting disregard for legislatures and judged. You can see it in his admiration for dictatorial heads of state.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 PM

22,486 posts, read 9,794,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's funny, the voting overwhelming says that people wouldn't want a dictator - but I can't help but wonder how many Republicans were in that poll, and if they realize that exactly what they voted for. It was clear then, and even more clear now, that at heart Trump is a wannabe dictator. You can see it in his expectation of being obeyed even with unconstitutional proposals. You can see it in his insulting disregard for legislatures and judged. You can see it in his admiration for dictatorial heads of state.
Of course a hyper-partisan like you believes such tripe. You've been indoctrinated well.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,572,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
That's fresh. From these kind of threads, I have to imagine it's people that are for some reason infatuated with the current President enough that they'd rather see him be a dictator than be removed because of wrongdoings.

Democrats are Playing With Fire.

The Media Has No Idea Their Playing With Fire; Trump Supporters Will Not Allow The Deep State To Overturn An Election

I don't care what party is in power - we are not a dictatorship.

p.s. in retrospect, it's likely just a troll trying to stir the pot.
Thanks but it's not a troll if you are referring to this thread. I'm quite interesting in seeing how many would rather have such an alternative. Fortunately, it seems to be low as of the moment.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM

10,890 posts, read 4,226,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
A true democracy needs some compromising to be effective, dictatorships don't. If you could have an authoritarian that expressed your political views rule over the country would you chose that?
1 person enslaving the rest of society or 51% enslaving 49%.

Decisions decisions.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 PM

15,634 posts, read 10,960,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
If you could have an authoritarian that expressed your political views rule over the country would you chose that?
I would support a constitutional dictatorship with limited powers and appropriate Checks & Balances.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM

33 posts, read 18,250 times
Well, if we were to allow women to rule we would never have to worry about dictators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies