Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could have a dictator that expressed your political views, would you?
Yes 4 5.19%
Maybe 5 6.49%
No 68 88.31%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times

Advertisements

Only if the dictator sat and did nothing...and left everyone alone. Just another random person like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I thought about making it a public poll but I figured some people might chicken out then. Maybe that's why they need an authorization to rule over them.
I doubt it. There are a few people here - about in line with the results so far - who express such a desire quite openly.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
In order for a dictator to express my viewpoints, they'd have to be against dictatorships.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's funny, the voting overwhelming says that people wouldn't want a dictator - but I can't help but wonder how many Republicans were in that poll, and if they realize that exactly what they voted for. It was clear then, and even more clear now, that at heart Trump is a wannabe dictator. You can see it in his expectation of being obeyed even with unconstitutional proposals. You can see it in his insulting disregard for legislatures and judged. You can see it in his admiration for dictatorial heads of state.
I see your point but I don't think most Republicans want a dictator. However there are many Americans of many backgrounds (of both major parties or none at all) whom have been hurt by the rapid pace of change in this country. Many feel left behind without many (or any) tangible options.

Mr Trump has a way of speaking to that, and people responded.

Most responded to an ideal, not so much to the man. But they felt he understood them, had a decent chance of making a difference, and they learned to love him for his message.

I just don't think he ever sincerely cared about the people who love him, his cabinet appointments and Executive Orders show a different side of the man. He is really ruthless and uncaring, vicious and greedy, self aggrandizing and ungrateful.

It strikes me as amazing that he shows such deference to tyrants, even cold blooded killers, praising them as 'strong leaders' and yet he doesn't realize that people can see his deeper values reflected there.

Yes, I think he would like to have more power in his office. He would like to dismiss and replace judges who get in his way, he would like to shut down inconvenient investigations. I think he did not realize how limited a role a president has in our republic, and he is frustrated.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Stupid question, and shallow answers. The question logically leads to would you be a dictator if you could be? I can't speak for anyone else, but there is no one else on the planet who has precisely the same political beliefs as I do, some people come close, but no one who is my political identical twin.

This means that the question resolves to would you be a dictator? Hard question to answer because it's rhetorical, if someone came to me and said (with the ability to deliver it once only) you have 100% carte blanche ownership of the US to rule, could I refuse it? I can claim all kinds of ethical fortitude that I would, but if it were real...? I mean come on if someone came and said here's $100M, it's yours but if you take it someone will be horribly killed, and we'll send you who it was, and photos of what we did, I'm not even convinced I could refuse that. Being ruler of the GSA (Gungnir's States of America) is worth a whole lot more than a measly $100M.

Further, no your opinion in this carries no weight, because we're discussing dictatorship, specifically my dictatorship which can be the only dictatorship that meets the criteria of expressing my political views, and I know that I'm not alone in this, in fact I'm probably in the vast majority.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's funny, the voting overwhelming says that people wouldn't want a dictator - but I can't help but wonder how many Republicans were in that poll, and if they realize that exactly what they voted for. It was clear then, and even more clear now, that at heart Trump is a wannabe dictator. You can see it in his expectation of being obeyed even with unconstitutional proposals. You can see it in his insulting disregard for legislatures and judged. You can see it in his admiration for dictatorial heads of state.
You mean Trump is going to be President for life like Chavez and Castro?

How will that go about?

Last edited by doc1; 05-20-2017 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
No way. Even if I think the left is off their rocker, I still don't want a dictatorship. That's asking to destroy this country beyond repair.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:26 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why do you think Trump is a dictator and you didn't think Obama was? How curious. There is far more evidence that Obama would have been a dictator (if he could have been) than Trump. Obama even bragged about going around Congress. He chose not to enforce laws he didn't like, and he changed laws by E.O. (clearly unconstitutional), specifically having to do with his ACA (in case you aren't aware, and you probably aren't, Congress makes law, not the President).
Trump is the one constantly talking about going after the press and silencing their criticism with libel laws changes. That is Step One towards dictatorship. Obama never did that, even when he disagreed with what was being said about him. Everyone knows Trump deals with criticism like a five year-old boy.

Trump is the one who puts his own family members into cabinet positions. That is another mark of a would-be corrupt dictator. Obama never did that.

Trump is the one who grows massive conflicts of interest between his businesses and his presidency. He's got his kids running his businesses dealing with big stakeholders in the same international places where Trump is negotiating policy. Golly gee, how do you think that's gonna turn out? That is another mark of a would-be dictator. Obama never did that.

Why do you look past these things? They are so blatant and in your face that it's hard to keep a straight face about it.

Obama did not contravene laws by executive order; that's illegal. He operated within the realms of what is legal via executive order, similar to Trump. The only difference is your opinion of what constitutes as legal, which has nothing to do with what anyone knowledgeable of law would say.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
How can a dictator express my views on the rights of the individual when a dictator quashes those rights?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
I would sooner be left alone on a habitable island than have to deal with everyone's BS all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies