U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM

3,273 posts, read 6,953,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I wonder what DeBlasio and NYPD secret it is, that all these other smaller cities can learn from!

Des Moines had more homicides then Manhattan at one point.

Birmingham more homicides then Manhattan, Bronx and Staten Island.
Money.

It's really easy to solve your problems when you have 1) Actual social programs and 2) Money to fund them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 12:03 AM

12,448 posts, read 12,844,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wow, what is going on in New York City? Crazy low homicide rates that are likely lower then many Canadian and some European cities?

Amazing, how law and order the Mayor is in New York City compared to many cities. It just boggles my mind how the rates can be so low. What is NYPD and the Mayor's secret recipe of keeping rates so low for such a major city.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/down...en-us-pbbx.pdf

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/down...en-us-pbms.pdf

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/down...en-us-pbmn.pdf

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/down...en-us-pbsi.pdf

Only 20 homicides in the Bronx, 16 Manhtattan and 4 in Staten Island: Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island total of 40

Young woman killed in early-morning southwest Birmingham drive-by shooting | AL.com

41 homicides in Birmingham, Alabama

With 1/7th of the population of the Bronx yet twice the homicides in actual numbers.
You compare a city that is >70% black with three that are apprx 17% (Manhattan), 43% (Bronx) and 9% (Staten Island).

Birmingham's demographics are closer to Gary, IN, Newark, NJ or Detroit.

Did you do that on purpose?

Last edited by doc1; 05-20-2017 at 12:50 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 01:43 AM

3,603 posts, read 790,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You compare a city that is >70% black with three that are apprx 17% (Manhattan), 43% (Bronx) and 9% (Staten Island).

And what about Brooklyn and Queens?

I'm guessing the Brooklyn and Queens stats might have motivated the OP to 'cherry pick his boroughs'.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 AM

10,275 posts, read 5,142,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

When you take a city that is overwhelmingly the demographic that commits 12 times more murders than the national average, that are going to have a very high murder rate and you can only compare that city against other cities with similar demographics to make a legitimate comparison.

Good on NYC for having a very low crime rate....to me it's likely mostly tied to the fact that you have to be upper income to live there and that's not the demographic that has a high murder rate.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:49 AM

4,874 posts, read 2,200,560 times
High Income to live in the Bronx and SI? I do not think so. In fact I know that is wrong. Lived on SI many years ago and still have friends and family their.

What you could say is that the income in NYC is higher then most of the rest of the country, however the middleclass of NYC live in 4 borough's and commute to the 5th. What would be considered wealthy in most of the country is only middle class in NYC.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:59 AM

15,232 posts, read 6,606,216 times
And here I thought all cities with Democratic mayors were hell holes.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 AM

12,648 posts, read 8,687,681 times
Low murder rate but they bankrupted everyone else.

Income level

Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 5,142,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And here I thought all cities with Democratic mayors were hell holes.
Anybody with a brain knows that's not right. Birmingham also has a Dim Mayor so does Detroit, Gary, Indiana, E. St. Louis Memphis....all the cities that really suck have Dim Mayors.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM

40,078 posts, read 19,216,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
High Income to live in the Bronx and SI? I do not think so. In fact I know that is wrong. Lived on SI many years ago and still have friends and family their.

What you could say is that the income in NYC is higher then most of the rest of the country, however the middleclass of NYC live in 4 borough's and commute to the 5th. What would be considered wealthy in most of the country is only middle class in NYC.
Staten Island is pretty damn expensive. You're gonna need a household income in the six figures to afford a home out there no matter where it is on the island.

And Bronx property ain't cheap either. Homes in even tough neighborhoods like Allerton/Laconia are gonna run 300k plus.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM

40,078 posts, read 19,216,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Anybody with a brain knows that's not right. Birmingham also has a Dim Mayor so does Detroit, Gary, Indiana, E. St. Louis Memphis....all the cities that really suck have Dim Mayors.
Lol...Gary and East St Louis are tiny towns...you need to get out more. You've never been to either place or met real people from there.

Detroit has multiple serious issues, but all of it doesn't suck. And Memphis ain't that bad either.

Besides, it ain't like things in those places would get any better with a Repub mayor. They'd probably get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies