U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM
 
1,345 posts, read 360,558 times
Reputation: 1627

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this. It was clear a year ago that Trump was unfit to be president, whether you were considering it in terms of his unstable temperament, his lack of experience, or his general ignorance. But it seems to me that one reason that Democrats were instantly ready to look for reasons to impeach dates back to the Republican treatment of Bill Clinton.

Prior to Bill Clinton, the last discussion of impeachment had been two decades earlier, triggered by Nixon's attempt to undermine the electoral process. By contrast, Bill Clinton was a generally popular president, smart, experienced, presiding over a fairly good period. But Republican were so rabid to undermine him that they latched onto everything they could, finally fixating on a relationship that was tawdry, but certainly not illegal, and certainly not imperiling the country, as had been the case with Nixon. They were fixating on his having lied, under oath, about a purely personal matter that no one should have been asking about.

But I think it may have opened the door for today. Because if Republicans were so quick to go off the deep end for something so inconsequential, surely that gives Democrat the ammunition to immediately object to something that is, again, potentially undermining the basic underpinnings of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM
 
19,290 posts, read 8,091,183 times
Reputation: 8324
You mean the guy whose crime was simply lying about what he did in private with someone?

If Clinton acted like Trump he would have been impeached and gone in 60 days under the Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM
 
22,511 posts, read 9,814,986 times
Reputation: 17476
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

So far, no evidence Trump has done anything impeachable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
25,259 posts, read 29,376,590 times
Reputation: 29362
Democrats started talking impeachment about 5am on Wednesday Nov 9.

It had zero to do with Clinton. They were in such a state of shock Impeachment was mentioned on day 1. If Trump beat Hillary in a fixed election for Hillary, it had to be dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
27,190 posts, read 32,137,756 times
Reputation: 32342
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean the guy whose crime was simply lying about what he did in private with someone?

If Clinton acted like Trump he would have been impeached and gone in 60 days under the Republicans.
No, the guy who lied under oath in a court proceeding. Something a lawyer knows isn't done.

Why is that lying under oath part always forgotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
8,005 posts, read 2,985,258 times
Reputation: 3699
The difference between the Clintons, and Trump, is that the Clintons are career criminals that there was no shortage of evidence of their criminal activity.

Bill was very lucky that they only were pursuing the ridiculous Monica Lewinsky nonsense. Even then, that had him dead to rights for impeachment for perjury, but choose not to remove him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM
 
1,345 posts, read 360,558 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

So far, no evidence Trump has done anything impeachable.
Oh?

As I said - did you read? - he lied about a private intimate matter, which was legal, about which the questions should have not been asked, which did not impact the country. Can you possibly be so willfully dense as to think that's worse than the way the Trump investigation is headed? Yes, "so far," as you say. Yet, many smoking guns, and he's barely past the 100-day mark.

Funny, I can't help but wonder if you were one of the many accusing Hillary, who, despite all her years in the arena also has not been found guilty of anything serious, despite the appalling sight of Trump supporters chanting "String her up!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
 
1,345 posts, read 360,558 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Democrats started talking impeachment about 5am on Wednesday Nov 9.

It had zero to do with Clinton. They were in such a state of shock Impeachment was mentioned on day 1. If Trump beat Hillary in a fixed election for Hillary, it had to be dishonest.
Yes, Democrats realized long before the election that Trump was not only ignorant and incompetent, but was seriously ethically compromised.

And what are your thoughts about the way that Republicans secretly convened to block Obama at every turn, regardless of what he proposed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
9,932 posts, read 5,041,189 times
Reputation: 22822
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

So far, no evidence Trump has done anything impeachable.
But lying to everyone, all the time, as long as it's not in a court of law, is A-OK behavior for a president. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
 
Location: DR Beach, FL
13,961 posts, read 5,207,543 times
Reputation: 10769
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, plenty of evidence Clinton committed perjury (I'll PM you what that means and how it happened).

So far, no evidence Trump has done anything impeachable.
Obstruction of justice is a very popular impeachable offense. Trump has been attempting to do this in a multitude of ways. He will do and say more impeachable offenses because he is a clueless braggart who just can't help himself. He's not fit to be president and he won't be for long.

Trump's presidency is like the Godfather meets Home Alone meets All the President's Men meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

"...I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Trump said, according to the Times. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.” ...

Ha ha--so you think--dumb dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top