U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM

40,066 posts, read 19,210,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What is the limit? Lets leave left and right out of this conversation.

How many times before there are "certain anonymous sources" do you just stop caring?

Will everyone answer honest?
Without anonymity, you don't get to the bottom of hard news!

Come on... don't you guys know this stuff by now?

Didn't you take ANY journalism related courses in college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM

9,481 posts, read 7,216,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Anonymous sources can be wrong and unreliable at times. I don't think anyone disputes that. But as a whole they provide a great service by exposing corruption, misfeasance, and myriad crimes which would go unnoticed and unreported. Putin and other autocrats do not target and kill journalists for no reason. They do not want to be exposed.
But isn't it considered journalistic ethics to get independent verification first before publishing something from that one anonymous source (i.e. hear the same info from two people before publishing)? This, what I understand, is to avoid what we've seen of late, which is reliance upon one anonymous source and that story turns out to be false or inaccurate.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,524,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Why do you think that anonymous sources have not been interviewed? I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of the term.
To add to what Catgirl wrote, the NY Times has a rule that at least one editor above the reporter(s) working on the story has to know who the "anonymous source" is. As in their name. It's not a case where someone leaves a voice mail or an e-ail from an old Hotmail account and the reporter just runs wth ut

Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 PM

10,932 posts, read 19,087,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Harvard study shows 80% of media coverage during the first 100 days was negative.

However, according to anonymous sources....
I thought I'd heard it was 92%.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM

2,821 posts, read 530,218 times
Quote:
Links or proof....or is this anonymous again?
Oh, come on. Even Trump, when confronted with the number of journalists killed under Putin, didn't deny it. He only said that we have killed plenty of people, too.

And no, I will not provide a link. There are plenty on Google, YOU find one you are willing to believe.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 PM

4,712 posts, read 2,648,299 times
That's what they had when they started exposing Watergate.
It didn't mean that the information wasn't true or valid - and was proven later.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 PM

1,200 posts, read 214,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I ask because I don't think I've ever cared less about this nation than I do right now. This is what you wanted. You are alone with your consequences.
I hear Mexico is a great place to live.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:21 AM

22,116 posts, read 32,685,950 times
Quote:
What is the limit? Lets leave left and right out of this conversation.

How many times before there are "certain anonymous sources" do you just stop caring?

Will everyone answer honest?
No source mentioned than I will mostly ignore or take it as a low level unproven story.
CNN even has "sources say" Breaking News! Ridiculous!!!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 AM

15,671 posts, read 13,868,738 times
Here's an anonymous source: Washington DC has been overrun by Skeksis.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 AM

23,069 posts, read 13,198,457 times
Quote:
I did not ask you any questions.
I know you did not ask me a question that was the point of my (this thread) it was a question for people to answer and you come in with this tyrant of a long ass rant that has absotley nothing to do with MY question to you.

Quote:
I do not care if yours remain unanswered.
Great, at least you admit you provided not a single thing but some long ass rant that meant absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies