Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times

Advertisements

"Cisgender" is a ridiculous term that doesn't even deserve a spot in a person's vocab, unless its strictly used to mock a SJW's use of it, like the lunatic in the article.

"I don't usually like to discuss math" she says. Maybe she is not very good at it compared to her peers? Most people feel passionate about things they're experts at, and love to talk about it. Perhaps she is largely an affirmative action case, in which case she should be glad she isn't an "oppressor cis white man." At least we know what this racist fool DOES like to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If the SJWs start moving in on STEM we are all doomed.
If they ever come to dominate math and the hard sciences the way they do things like sociology and anthropology, human progress will pretty much stop.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Heh.

I'll go post stuff from Stormfront and call the American right racist. Basically what you're doing here in reverse.
I would say that the difference is that 1-2% of the right thinks the way that Stormfront does, whereas 20-30% of your side thinks the way this Kafka-meets-Dilbert mathematician does.

And I'm an ex-leftist.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 PM

983 posts, read 738,316 times
Sucks for her that white cis males are pretty much the only ones that ever have or will do anything truly noteworthy in human history.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Heh.

I'll go post stuff from Stormfront and call the American right racist. Basically what you're doing here in reverse.
First you compare posting a story from the NYT about the Writers' Union of Canada to digging up stuff from Stormfront, and now a piece from the blog of the American Mathematical Society?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
"Cisgender" is a ridiculous term that doesn't even deserve a spot in a person's vocab, unless its strictly used to mock a SJW's use of it, like the lunatic in the article.

"I don't usually like to discuss math" she says. Maybe she is not very good at it compared to her peers? Most people feel passionate about things they're experts at, and love to talk about it. Perhaps she is largely an affirmative action case, in which case she should be glad she isn't an "oppressor cis white man." At least we know what this racist fool DOES like to talk about.
That is almost certainly it. Few people on the planet are very good at math compared with doctoral course math students at Princeton. Herron likely found herself in way over her head, like a shower singer trying to join a professional opera troupe. But because she is a black woman, the school encouraged her to continue, and she found, in social justice rhetoric, a way to explain her situation by turning the blame outward.
Quote:
I can count on zero hands the number of times I was asked “Tell me, who or what crushed your mathematical curiosity?” When I stopped talking about math, not a single friend said “Have I done something to make you uncomfortable talking with me?” Nobody questioned whether I felt safe asking questions. They just built up their assumptions and their judgments. It became a thing. That thing they knew about me, you know, how I don’t talk about math. Whatever my problem is.
I hated it, but even still, it was better than discussing math.
It’s not that my friends had terrible intentions. Nobody was mean to me, nobody consciously laughed at me. There’s just a way that mathematicians have been socialized (I guess?!) to interact with each other that I find oppressive. If you have never had someone mansplain or whitesplain things to you, it may be hard for you to understand what I’m going to describe.
Why I Do Not Talk About Math – The Liberated Mathematician

Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I have a lady friend who is a retired nuclear chemist. She holds 2 or 3 advanced degrees, and worked in her very specialized field her entire career, always as the only woman in a lab full of men.

She loves men. All her best friends are men, but none of them are her former fellow workers in the labs.

She's pretty quiet about all those years, but I've learned a little from her over the years of what she had to endure from a lot of very smart guys who should have known better. Leave it to saying she suffered a lot of personal and professional abuse from them, and she blames it on the male-dominated culture that exists in the higher levels of advanced science.

These days, she is very happy hanging out with banjo players instead. She's very humble about her abilities, but she's as good a player as she was a chemist for sure. She can run with the big dogs all night long and never stop for a break.

Making music is one of those things where a good player can be anyone of any color or gender and be acknowledged for their musical abilities alone. Despite her humility, she likes a compliment just as much as anyone does, and hers are well deserved.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have a lady friend who is a retired nuclear chemist. She holds 2 or 3 advanced degrees, and worked in her very specialized field her entire career, always as the only woman in a lab full of men.

She loves men.
Is this her? (at 0:43)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwZ8cD3JDY#t=43

Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

She loves men. All her best friends are men, but none of them are her former fellow workers in the labs.

She's pretty quiet about all those years, but I've learned a little from her over the years of what she had to endure from a lot of very smart guys who should have known better. Leave it to saying she suffered a lot of personal and professional abuse from them, and she blames it on the male-dominated culture that exists in the higher levels of advanced science.

These days, she is very happy hanging out with banjo players instead. She's very humble about her abilities, but she's as good a player as she was a chemist for sure. She can run with the big dogs all night long and never stop for a break.

Making music is one of those things where a good player can be anyone of any color or gender and be acknowledged for their musical abilities alone. Despite her humility, she likes a compliment just as much as anyone does, and hers are well deserved.
Sounds like the script for a Lifetime TV movie.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If they ever come to dominate math and the hard sciences the way they do things like sociology and anthropology, human progress will pretty much stop.
In America anyway. I doubt the Chinese will get that memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies