Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
See, that is the thing. You don't need a high IQ to do the higher level math. You need to put in a lot of effort, practice and have it explained in a way that it works for you.

Most of the people I know who are horrible at math are so because the are flipping lazy.

Not a surprise that progressives are after math, it is the foundation of logic and they need their followers to be clueless of logical process or they will see the holes in the ideology and behavior of the progressives.
Progressives need stupid lazy people to buy the tainted goods and beg for hand outs.
No. This is true for the level of math needed to perform ordinary functions or the amount associated most professions, but not higher level math. There is a huge gap between being horrible at math and being able to do true higher level math. At a certain level, with most things in this life, no amount or quality of teaching can compensate for innate ability, talents, skills, or traits that the person does not possess.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Recently posted on the American Mathematical Society Blogs website:

Get Out The Way | inclusion/exclusion

The writer recently received a PhD in mathematics from Princeton U. Her successful PhD thesis reads in part:

The Thesis That Everyone In My Family Is Talking About, When I Bring It Up – The Liberated Mathematician
I think Princeton needs a better English department. My community college English teachers would have dislocated their right arms slinging their red pens on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
So, she can't succeed unless smarter people get out of her way.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Please, this woman did not suffer from any oppression - at least from what she stated. I recall my Trig class way back in high school. The teacher was a real jerk and would go on and on about how I would never be good at math because I was a girl; he did this in class in front of my peers. Made me sit in the back of the class, would ignore my raised hand if I had a question, BUT I did my work, I got the questions right on the tests and he was forced to give me that A. It actually made me love math even more because even a total azz like this guy couldn't deny when I did something right unlike say in English or one of the humanities. Yeah, what I dealt with - THAT was actual discrimination and it was overt, ugly, and still didn't keep me from doing well as long as I was willing to do the work.

I went on to major in Math as one of my majors, graduating first in my class. Hmm, looks like I didn't suffer from my previous experience because I wanted it, understood math, and loved the heck out of doing proofs. Her study partner being absent for a couple of days and she ended up with a D in the class?? Her fault completely. Sounds to me like she just doesn't understand the material and is trying to make up for her lack of comprehension by saying "they don't like me." Bull. Get to QED and it doesn't matter what color you skin is, what gender you are, or anything in between.

Of note, that teacher I referenced above? Fired the following year.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:12 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/

This is a little bit similar to my own experience. I was very good at math in elementary school, still pretty good in high school, but mediocre in college. Isn't this what happens to everyone? Even people good enough at math to breeze through undergrad work eventually get to a level they can't really wrap their heads around and find out that, compared to the real geniuses, they're dense after all. Some math problems go unsolved for hundreds of years. They're just too hard, for anyone. I reached my level of incompetence in math, but it never occurred to me that I was a victim. I simply wasn't smart enough to go any further with it. If I experienced any privilege, it was in not being subjected to idiots telling me that calculus was hard because the world was against me, and that if I had been treated fairly I could have breezed through to a Fields Medal.
I think that's why a lot of folks trying to get through math classes get tutors to help them. I can understand that well, I too was pretty good in math till I hit calculus. I got through Calculus I (or more like squeeked through it with a C) in college and decided I had had enough math to last me a lifetime. I had the help of a fellow student who actually understood the stuff (and a cis-gendered white male to boot) to get me through that class-which I needed as a prerequisite in the graduate studies in microbiology (which I liked much better) I anticipated getting into. But I figured it was my bonehead that kept me so befuddled in this class, it never occurred to me that anyone else was to blame and my problems would be solved by removing others who didn't look exactly like me.

But I still have to wonder, if tbis woman has had those difficulties in the past, and dislikes math so much she doesn't like talking about it, how in the world did she manage to get a PhD in mathematics??????

Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

But I still have to wonder, if tbis woman has had those difficulties in the past, and dislikes math so much she doesn't like talking about it, how in the world did she manage to get a PhD in mathematics??????
Affirmative action and grading on a lower scale? Much like those Firefighter tests?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:23 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
I think that's why a lot of folks trying to get through math classes get tutors to help them. I can understand that well, I too was pretty good in math till I hit calculus. I got through Calculus I (or more like squeeked through it with a C) in college and decided I had had enough math to last me a lifetime. I had the help of a fellow student who actually understood the stuff (and a cis-gendered white male to boot) to get me through that class-which I needed as a prerequisite in the graduate studies in microbiology (which I liked much better) I anticipated getting into. But I figured it was my bonehead that kept me so befuddled in this class, it never occurred to me that anyone else was to blame and my problems would be solved by removing others who didn't look exactly like me.

About the part I bolded, I wonder the same because if she was already doing poorly in high school mathemetics, there is no way on this planet she could possibly do well at advanced mathematics. Zero. Every person I met who went on to major in mathematics or went on to further graduate studies felt like high school mathematics was a breeze and not even remotely challenging. I think it was when we hit Differential Equations where you started to see large numbers drop out of the major.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Sounds like a big B-word.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
About the part I bolded, I wonder the same because if she was already doing poorly in high school mathemetics, there is no way on this planet she could possibly do well at advanced mathematics. Zero. Every person I met who went on to major in mathematics or went on to further graduate studies felt like high school mathematics was a breeze and not even remotely challenging. I think it was when we hit Differential Equations where you started to see large numbers drop out of the major.
Yes, I wondered about the same thing that you bolded. Perhaps though, Princeton put her thru the wringer (so to speak) to get her PhD much more so than she is willing to admit. To the point that maybe she is exhausted (ie, burned out) mathematically.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
That is actually a different person from the one who is the subject of the thread. My bad for not making that more clear. That woman who got a D- in pre-calc went on to be a teacher, not a university professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies