Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Don't be silly.

Those kids have the right to walk out but they are rude brats.
When have I whined about the fringe left and the violence?? Are you saying that you condone violence? DO you approve of the idiots that turn a peaceful protest/march into a looting mob? perhaps you do since they are sending a message.

It is not about sitting still and having a puppet of the Fuhrer bark at you. it is about respect.

These kids have little minds that are shut down to anything outside their comfort zone. What exactly did they learn in college. I know when I went my mind was opened to all kinds of ideas and I graduated a better student of the world.
I'm no fan of Obama, Hillary, Warren but if I had a chance to shake their hand or to hear them speak I would not turn my back on them. I would probably disagree but I would listen and possibly learn something.

The kids that walked out closed their minds to learning and showed just how ignorant they are.
These graduates quietly walked out. Remember Joe Wilson at the State of the Union speech? That is disrespect. He should have quietly walked out.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:27 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm a pretty non-confrontational person so I would probably never walk out on anyone; however, I get what this is about. Notre Dame is a Catholic University and the students don't feel that this administration (and Pence) are reflecting Catholic values.
I have to disagree. It's not the least bit about Catholic values (and I'm Catholic). It's about being in the news and being a hero to your fellow progressives. For every liberal Catholic, I can show you at least one conservative Catholic. Catholics are a well mixed bunch.
Everyone expected there would be a number of students that walked out. No shocker there and certainly no big deal.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The VP spoke today at the commencement ceremony at Notre Dame and a groups of graduate got up and left to cheers and boos.

Dozens of Notre Dame Students Walk Out of VP Mike Pence Commencement Speech - NBC News

What happened to tolerance, patience and respect?
Like him or not he is still the VP of the United States and it certainly was their right to walk out but one would think that after 4+ years of higher learning that those students would have learned something beyond throwing a tantrum like a child that doesn't like the game that is being played so they leave.

Listening to A right wing radio show a mom called in to chat and she told a story about her very conservative daughter that went to a very liberal university where Elizabeth Warren gave a commencement speech. Did this young woman get up and walk out? No she stayed in her chair and held her nose but she gave Warren the respect that should be forwarded to anyone that is taking the time to make a speech at the ceremony.

I think it is totally ridiculous that those kids walked out on Pence. I wonder if when they enter the work force and their boss tells them something they do not like if they will walk off the job and seek out a safe space?

What a bunch of rude brats to walk out and not even be able to listen to what may be an opposing view. So much for debate in higher learning.
UH you do know the first amendment hasn't been repealed yet - right?

Boston Tea party and all that stuff.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:31 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm a pretty non-confrontational person so I would probably never walk out on anyone; however, I get what this is about. Notre Dame is a Catholic University and the students don't feel that this administration (and Pence) are reflecting Catholic values.
Not to be overlooked, Notre Dame is in South Bend INDIANA, so they've had a front row seat to the Pence show.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Was attendance at the commencement mandatory? If not, why attend? If someone whose policies I didn't agree with was giving a speech, I wouldn't waste my time going.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
the problem is trump and pence are preaching a message of intolerance, so why should they be afforded any? You get what you give.
bs

Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Was attendance at the commencement mandatory? If not, why attend? If someone whose policies I didn't agree with was giving a speech, I wouldn't waste my time going.
Good for you. You're quite the hero.

I admire their willingness to stand up, literally, for what they believe instead of going along with any old nonsense.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
That's you. They chose to go attend... and then to walk out. No big deal.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohhh View Post
A quiet demonstration and exercise of their First Amendment rights and you call them rude brats ... yet you also whine about the "fringe left" and the "violence" ad nauseum ...

So you're basically saying we should all just sit down, shut up and let your Fuhrer do whatever he wants, is that it?

Typical.
Yes they have the right to exercise their First Amendment rights but as adults we have learned to tolerate others and listen to their opinions and willingly express our own. One would think they could have expressed themselves in something more productive and meaningful than walking out of a graduation. Maybe someone could have given a speech rather than something so nonproductive.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Yes they have the right to exercise their First Amendment rights but as adults we have learned to tolerate others and listen to their opinions and willingly express our own. One would think they could have expressed themselves in something more productive than walking out of a graduation. Maybe someone could have given a speech rather than something so nonproductive.
It was a commencement speech, not a public debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies