Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,843,401 times

Advertisements

Not surprised at all.

Very sad the culture of America these days! Thank god, I remember the 90s and some of the 80s.

The more America advances, the further the basic things like eating well, working out to maintain health and social skills take a back seat.

Here a documentary about Obesity in Evansville, Indiana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w28pj3kg-A

It will just get worse and worse. Most people stay at home now except to work, shop or go to a restaurant.

It seems as though everything revolves around food these days. It is no wonder that the rates of obesity are skyrocketing.

The parks are empty, but the restaurants always seem so very busy in no matter what city I am in.

Many people these start the morning with 1,500 calories with a sugary milkshake and pastry from chain coffee

Then for lunch, they have a burrito or light-lunch at a restaurant that has perhaps 1,000 more calories

Snacking at work, 500 empty calories out the vending machine and maybe 500-1000 calories of soda

Then maybe take-up with 1,000 calories of mainly oil and lard for take-out.

I was just looking at some video of Venice Beach in the 1980s compared to today. In the 1980s, there were crowded video frames of 100 or more people and not was one had a person considered obese. Today, a video of people watching performances on Venice has around a third or more people obese.

I just moved to Nebraska a few weeks ago and I am constantly in disbelief about the rate of not just obesity here, but morbid obesity.

I saw obesity in Arizona, California and Nevada. But coming to Nebraska, it is stunning the amount of morbid obesity here.

Many Nebraskans in their 20s and 30s can't breathe because of morbid obesity and Nebraska is not even in the top 10.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The BMI is a crock. I'm obese, but no one calls me overweight.
Probably because they're too polite.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Not surprised at all.

Here a documentary about Obesity in Evansville, Indiana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w28pj3kg-A

It will just get worse and worse. Most people stay at home now except to work, shop or go to a restaurant.

It seems as though everything revolves around food these days. It is no wonder that the rates of obesity are skyrocketing.

The parks are empty, but the restaurants always seem so very busy in no matter what city I am in.

Many people these start the morning with 1,500 calories with a sugary milkshake and pastry from chain coffee

Then for lunch, they have a burrito or light-lunch at a restaurant that has perhaps 1,000 more calories

Snacking at work, 500 empty calories out the vending machine and maybe 500-1000 calories of soda

Then maybe take-up with 1,000 calories of mainly oil and lard for take-out.

I was just looking at some video of Venice Beach in the 1980s compared to today. In the 1980s, there were crowded video frames of 100 or more people and not was one had a person considered obese. Today, a video of people watching performances on Venice has around a third or more people obese.

I just moved to Nebraska a few weeks ago and I am constantly in disbelief about the rate of not just obesity here, but morbid obesity.

I saw obesity in Arizona, California and Nevada. But coming to Nebraska, it is stunning the amount of morbid obesity here.

Many Nebraskans in their 20s and 30s can't breathe because of morbid obesity and Nebraska is not even in the top 10.
Do you have another hobby besides worrying so much about the weight problem in the US? Just curious.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It's too simplistic of a baseline, really. Doesn't account for bone size or muscle at all. When pro athletes (the people who do tons of exercise, etc and are in great shape physically in many cases) are considered to be obese because of a simple height to weight comparison, something is wrong.
Lol ok. 39% of Americans are pro athletes now. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It's too simplistic of a baseline, really. Doesn't account for bone size or muscle at all. When pro athletes (the people who do tons of exercise, etc and are in great shape physically in many cases) are considered to be obese because of a simple height to weight comparison, something is wrong.
Sure, it doesn't handle edge cases, but the overwhelming majority of people are not edge cases - they're just lazy and fat. Really, really fat.

We're not going to do anything though. Actually tackling the problem might cause middle America to have to do something besides grow government-subsidized garbage.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:42 PM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
LOL Very funny replies .

Old 05-21-2017, 01:43 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol ok. 39% of Americans are pro athletes now. Thanks for the laugh.
Oh geez, of course that is the EXACT fact I was trying to say. How did you know?

Try reading it again. I did not say all obese people were pro athletes. I was merely pointing out that a system that lumps in actual pro athletes and other people like that into obese by a simple calculation that does not take into account the actual composition of their body is quite flawed and a different calculation system would be better for seeing how healthy people are.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:44 PM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
well, There's no mystery behind it. These folks eat too much and move too little.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:45 PM

589 posts, read 379,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The BMI is a crock. I'm obese, but no one calls me overweight.
To meet the BMI standards, you have to run a marathon weekly.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,568,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Probably because they're too polite.
Nope, I just don't look overweight.

I didn't find out I was obese until I had to take medical for insurance purposes. When I expressed surprise, the doctor said to not pay any attention, as it's flawed (see the post #10). He said that at a guess, my body fat percentage would be around 10%.

Unfortunately, the doctor's opinion carried to weight, and my insurance cost was based on me being obese -maybe it's about money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies