Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Spontaneous nail combustion. Haven't you heard?
Spinal Tap's last drummer was a nail. This explains a lot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Right -- but the concert was over....he walked into the lobby area.

But at all the events I've been to -- at the end -- there isn't anybody waiting at the door to only let people out -- they open the doors and if someone comes in -- they come in.

It is easy now to say -- why didn't they do this or that...kind of like the day after 9/11. (I know not quite the same)....

But there was never a problem before.

You can be sure now --here and in the UK and Europe -- venues will not allow people to mull around outside a venue even at the end of an event.

As for parents letting their kids go to concerts.....let's not start handing out our self righteous judgements on what age is acceptable, what our parents did or what we did.

It's a tragedy.....
I've not had that same experience myself. At Circuit of the Americas here in Austin, which hosts concerts in a large amphitheater and auto racing including Formula One, every exit gate is staffed after the event and they facilitate everyone getting out, but do not let people go in. In this case the exit doors went straight into a public train station lobby, which was a public space not controlled by event security.

I think improving security perimeters outside places like this is definitely necessary.

Those poor kids. I saw footage of them trampling each other to get out. Complete pandemonium.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Nails loaded into bombs is a Palestinian tactic used often and the Palestinians would dip the nails in an anti-coagulant (rat poison) so that especially the little children would quickly bleed out before the medics got to them.
Pure evil......
And Palestinian Muslims name streets and buildings after them to honor these terrorists. I don't want one American dollar sent to these cretins anymore.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I've not had that same experience myself. At Circuit of the Americas here in Austin, which hosts concerts in a large amphitheater and auto racing including Formula One, every exit gate is staffed after the event and they facilitate everyone getting out, but do not let people go in. In this case the exit doors went straight into a public train station lobby, which was a public space not controlled by event security.

I think improving security perimeters outside places like this is definitely necessary.

Those poor kids. I saw footage of them trampling each other to get out. Complete pandemonium.
That's because their police were telling them to run. I read several accounts of people saying the police told them to run. That doesn't seem like sound advice.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Nails loaded into bombs is a Palestinian tactic used often and the Palestinians would dip the nails in an anti-coagulant (rat poison) so that especially the little children would quickly bleed out before the medics got to them.
Pure evil......
And Palestinian Muslims name streets and buildings after them to honor these terrorists. I don't want one American dollar sent to these cretins anymore.
Meanwhile, in Israel a doctor invented a bandage that will stop bleeding on anyone. And these idiots think Israelis are evil and should be driven into the sea. And American college students think the Palestinians are the victims.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's because their police were telling them to run. I read several accounts of people saying the police told them to run. That doesn't seem like sound advice.
I'm sure everyone means well but no matter how well you train for something like that, when the S hits the F our baked-in fight or flight instinct takes over. Stampedes commonly occur at large concerts, sporting events, etc. I had a friend crushed once while standing in front of the stage at a music festival. The band began playing and people began rushing the stage, smothering people already at the barricade. She got out alive and became a concertgoer who sits in a seat instead of standing in front of the stage. Probably smart.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
He could just as easily have simply left it on the train and got a packed car full of concert goers on their way back to the parking lots all along the "tube" lines.

Exactly same result without any security to worry about.

In the sense to which the two politicians are being vilified by Americans on here for making the statement terrorism is "here to stay and we'd all better get used to it"; taken in the intended context, they are completely correct.

Someone wants to enact their rage; a visit to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes will occasion them all the necessary components to do amazing amounts of damage in a confined space such as a loaded subway car on it's way from any event. The food court at any upscale mall. The ticket counter at any major airlines with hundreds of folks all lined up like lemmings waiting to get their bags checked in and handed a boarding pass before going to the TSA inspection area. The lawn area of a public parks band-shell area during a free concert.

EVERYWHERE people congregate for however long a duration is free game to these types of people and no amount of security other than hundreds of roving militia putting your face to a wall and kicking your legs apart for nothing more than talking on your cel-phone will stymie these cretins. Even then, the sacrifice of your freedom and liberty to move freely in your own country will have been long gone.

Those two pol's, Macron and Khan, were merely trying to tell you that these events will continue and to over-react and turn your country's cities into armed security zones would be achieving the terrorists goals for them.

They want you living in fear. It's your lifestyle they want to ruin bit by bit. They're prevailing.

America has over 3000 Mosques and almost 4 million Muslims (it knows about, with the first recorded one being in the early 1700's) within it's borders. If this is to be looked at logically, purporting to believe all Muslims are complicit in not subduing this would mean you have no choice but to turn you own country into one huge inspection zone of roving patrols of cops stopping everyone walking while Muslim.

Do you all think that will get the desired results and end well?

Last edited by BruSan; 05-23-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm sure everyone means well but no matter how well you train for something like that, when the S hits the F our baked-in fight or flight instinct takes over. Stampedes commonly occur at large concerts, sporting events, etc. I had a friend crushed once while standing in front of the stage at a music festival. The band began playing and people began rushing the stage, smothering people already at the barricade. She got out alive and became a concertgoer who sits in a seat instead of standing in front of the stage. Probably smart.
I understand that, but actually training of the police would help. I don't blame the crowds who panicked, but hearing that the police just told them to run was a head scratcher.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Can you imagine if we started training dogs to sniff out nails.

Anyhow as stated the bomber seemed to have picked a spot where the concert goers where exiting the venue possibly into a train station. Usually these area have no security especially after the events. Things will definitely change now.
I'm not saying how I feel about beefing up security but wouldn't it stand to reason any terrorist could simply move further down the line and do the same thing? He couldn't get into the venue, so he did it outside the venue. If he couldn't do it outside the venue, he'd simply do it where there was no security.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Pure evil......

What about taking their $$$ to arm them? Seems a little bass ackwards if they are the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies