Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 PM

833 posts, read 520,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Short version: unless you can afford a Mar-a-Lago membership your effed!

I don't understand how anyone can stand for this. I consider myself to be pro-business and reasonably center-right on most political issues, but we can't balance the budgets on the backs of our most vulnerable because some billionaires want a tax cut to buy their 7th vacation home.
You don't seem to be of the opinion that there's room to trim the fat in our entitlement system. Instead, you'd rather bloviate about these imagined rich people getting richer as people starve. Point us to a mass starvation crisis in the USA since 1996, when Bill Clinton signed welfare-to-work reforms. Tell us what changed since 1996 to make this welfare reform effort different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It's being given to fund $54B (that's billion) in increased defense spending but the deficit will still be higher because it won't cover everything. Rich guys happen to run those defense companies in case you didn't notice. WHY is even more spending in defense necessary?
Good point, it seems that with all he's doing to destroy us, there should be decreases in defense spending.

He's stripping our education system.
He's gutting our healthcare worse than it already was, which was bad.
He's selling off our national forests.
He's giving free pass to pollute our clean air and water.

Seems to me that there won't be much left of America for our enemies to want to take or destroy. The least he could do is recognize that, and spend less on a military to defend it.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM

589 posts, read 381,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
You don't seem to be of the opinion that there's room to trim the fat in our entitlement system. Instead, you'd rather bloviate about these imagined rich people getting richer as people starve. Point us to a mass starvation crisis in the USA since 1996, when Bill Clinton signed welfare-to-work reforms. Tell us what changed since 1996 to make this welfare reform effort different.
Exactly, eliminating social program fraud and assistance to illegals would preserve the precious $ needed by those who actually deserve it.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Obviously, I don't know your personal situation but what do you consider to be a livable wage ?
Enough to keep you housed, fed and have transportation to your job in your working area! It would have to be higher in Palo Alto Ca than Little Rock Ar!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Good point, it seems that with all he's doing to destroy us, there should be decreases in defense spending.

He's stripping our education system.
He's gutting our healthcare worse than it already was, which was bad.
He's selling off our national forests.
He's giving free pass to pollute our clean air and water.

Seems to me that there won't be much left of America for our enemies to want to take or destroy. The least he could do is recognize that, and spend less on a military to defend it.
You forgot one--in honor of his sons, he is making it easier to kill wild animals.

Donald Trump makes it legal to shoot hibernating bears | The Independent

Old 05-23-2017, 01:52 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Until you can quantify the dollars lost by fraud or abuse in the programs being cut, it's probably wise to wait-and-see.

"If you're on food stamps and able-bodied, we need you to go to work," Mulvaney said.

And out of the other side of their mouths the GOP will claim that undocumented immigrants are taking all of the jobs and that the Democrats destroyed the economy putting millions out of work.

So, which is it today? Plenty of jobs for everyone that wants one? Or no jobs due to immigrants, liberals and gay marriage?

Republicans are such scumbags when it comes to their economic policies. Billions in tax cuts for the rich, trillions of taxpayer dollars to dole out to their rich friends in the business of making weapons but never a single penny for an American that is literally struggling to stay alive.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
We can't sustain the $20 Trillion dollar debt -- something has to be done. Is everyone aware that the last BUDGET signed in the USA was in 2008? The 2009 reconciliation deal (which was a CR added to the 2009 fiscal year from Bush) added over $800 Billion (a Trillion counting interest) to pay for the Obama Stimulus package, supposedly due to the Great Recession. Each year after that, they did yet another Continuing Resolution that KEPT the Trillion on the Budget and added to it by a percentage.

That has to STOP - we are no longer in that recession and the huge increases in Welfare payments have to come down. They claim we have 4.5% unemployment and yet are clinging to a Budget that reflects 17% unemployment. TeamObama removed the Welfare reforms that Bill Clinton put in place.
Our Welfare rolls exploded - time to start clawing them back.

I didn't spend a lot of time searching for exactly what they budget will be % wise in the cuts & that's what I want to see because it's easy to find the % that we increased over the last 8 years.

Trump’s ‘taxpayer-first’ budget focuses spending, proposes $3.6 trillion in cuts |Washington Times

On the face of it -- a $3.6 Trillion dollar "cut" when considering the close $10 Trillion dollar increase is probably a good start. A lot of that can be made up in cleaning up the fraud and abuse.

The taxpayer-first review resulted in a proposal to require people receiving the earned income tax credit and child tax credit to have a Social Security number. The change would prevent illegal immigrants from pocketing the refundable tax credits designed to help poor families, saving $40 billion over 10 years. He noted that the earned income tax credit has a 25 percent fraud rate, according to government data.

⦁ A $800 billion cut from Medicaid spending over 10 years that is part of the House-passed Republican bill to replace Obamacare.
⦁ Zeroing out the heating assistance program for the poor for a $3 billion savings.
⦁ Reducing food stamps by $193 billion, or 25 percent, over 10 years.

The Medicaid cuts won't come unless the ACA is repealed - that would also reduce the food stamp and some other welfare because they were automatically increased when the poverty level was increased. Food Stamps have increased 44% in the last 8 years, a 25% reduction is not unreasonable. I don't know much about how the heating assistance program works - but it should be based in NEED and not be on autopilot.

I want to know more and I want the CongressCritters to get a backbone and get to work.
They were hired to do a job and that "job" does NOT include caring more about their careers than they do the people who hired them and PAY their salaries and generous benefits.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM

589 posts, read 381,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
And out of the other side of their mouths the GOP will claim that undocumented immigrants are taking all of the jobs and that the Democrats destroyed the economy putting millions out of work.

So, which is it today? Plenty of jobs for everyone that wants one? Or no jobs due to immigrants, liberals and gay marriage?
Actually, removing the undocumented immigrants is part of the plan in case you haven't been following along.Lazy Americans will have to find another excuse if that ever happens.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Short version: unless you can afford a Mar-a-Lago membership your effed!

I don't understand how anyone can stand for this. I consider myself to be pro-business and reasonably center-right on most political issues, but we can't balance the budgets on the backs of our most vulnerable because some billionaires want a tax cut to buy their 7th vacation home.
Yeah, because everyone who earns over $200K per year is a billionaire with 7 vacation homes.

How about instead of expecting the well heeled to pay for your life decisions, you own it for once.

Last edited by Colorado^; 05-23-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The people who pay the most in taxes are going to get to keep more of their own money. It's not like money is being taken from the poor and given to the rich. The groups that use the most government services SHOULD be paying the most for them.
Exactly. People need to learn to live within their means and be responsible for their life decisions.

I don't want to fund some women's out of wedlock, oversized family. Soda is the #1 food stamp purchase, but these people cry "poor".

Share housing, ride a bicycle and eat beans and rice. Don't have babies that you can't afford to take care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies