Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/0...ed-hoax-study/

A Portland State U. philosophy prof and a mathematician teamed to submit a paper on gender studies.

Quote:
After completing the paper, we read it carefully to ensure it didn’t say anything meaningful, and as neither one of us could determine what it is actually about, we deemed it a success.

Here is a sample quote from the paper (from the above link):

Quote:
Inasmuch as masculinity is essentially performative, so too is the conceptual p****. The p****, in the words of Judith Butler, “can only be understood through reference to what is barred from the signifier within the domain of corporeal legibility” (Butler, 1993). The p**** should not be understood as an honest expression of the performer’s intent should it be presented in a performance of masculinity or hypermasculinity. Thus, the isomorphism between the conceptual....

(asterisks inserted by me because I am not sure it would make it through the CD filters).

The funniest part is that the prof linked all of this to global warming in the paper. I heard him interviewed, and he explained how the peer review process works. A paper is submitted and sent out to 20 or 30 experts in the field (in this case gender studies) who read it and comment. The paper generally received positive reviews, with one expert calling it "outstanding" in every applicable category"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Standard garbage of treat idiots like mushrooms by keeping them in the dark and feeding them crap.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,188 times
LOL. I love it when people do stuff like this. Hats off.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Theres a lot of places that are just publishing mills. I could write one on my specialty, and no matter how good or bad it would get published. Then on my resume suddenly I am a published expert in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies