Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Humans, by nature, are selfish........it is a survival mechanism.
Humans, by nature, care most for those closest to them, their family, friends, countrymen, coreligionists. But recently it has become the fashion to make a show of caring more for the other. So you have people who don't give a crap about their own relatives but profess deep affection and concern for Syrians, arctic wolves and trees growing in the Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Edit-delete

Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
"Stockholm syndrome" is when hostages sympathize with their captors as a means of coping with a stressful situation. But in this thread we have people who aren't even directly affected by the Manchester attack justifying it and directing their anger toward their own society. I suspect the motive is simply a desire to feel morally superior to others who exhibit a more normal, healthy response, but who knows... do we even have a proper term for this type of mental illness?
I saw no one justify it. There must be a name for the syndrome you just exhibited.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Just asking. I remember a story of an Iraqi family

one night in Baghdad. Father, Mother, 3 kids. 12 and 8 yr old girls and a 3 year old boy. They came up on a US checkpoint/roadblock and I guess approached too closely too fast. There was confusion and when it was all over the 12 year old had lost her mother, father and little sister in a hail of bullets. She protected her little brother with her own body and neither were hurt badly.

There's been children lost their lives all over the ME in this War On Terror. You hear little if anything unless its used for propaganda and its done by those people.

The hypocrisy is sickening. I guess the average westerner can live with it though as long as it's the children of those people.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-s-led-forces/
What a disgusting pivot.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
How many children have been killed and raped due to Islam?

Yeah, thought so.
I'm not sure what you're point is here. Am I overestimating you in assuming you actually have one?

Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
To the OPs question: no.

Well, depending on who "we" and who the "others" are. We is too vague to even address, so I won't. "Others" however can be simplified into a few categories. There are the people near enough that we can see them; most people will feel some sympathy for those suffering if they actually see it happen. Then there are "Americans." This one, we tend to feel some sympathy for, but often, it's limited. Then there are those who look like us. Pretty similar to the last, though even less real sympathy. Then there are those who don't look like us. This is where the "we" comes in. Ultimately, some "we's" will feel the same about dissimilar looking people as they do about any non-Americans, some will feel more bad for them, and some frankly just won't give a damn.

The latter is usually someone who is racist in some capacity. Just being honest. The numerous "Muslims are also bad" response is sort of the example to give. That's irrelevant. Many innocent people die in this so called war on terror; it doesn't really matter if non-innocent people exist.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
From what I understand, that is the main reason all of this began (first WTC attack?) : because we were killing their innocents. Their hatred for us didn't come out of thin air.
Blowback is part of the reason they hate us yes, as well as just the hatred within their religion in general that has existed for thousands of years. It certainly doesn't give them a free pass to hurt our innocents though, or flood our western countries(Europe in particular) with aggressive, low-skill, low IQ people who resent our culture. War in the middle east is a terrible thing, but we average citizens aren't the ones who created that mess, and I don't think we as a whole deserve any of the consequences that we're getting thrown at us. Now if we keep voting for war AND for bringing in countless refugees all of whom become legally protected from criticism then we made the bed of our own destruction.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Yes I really do care.

But I don't know what to do about it. I support refugees coming to this country, I support social programs that help underprivileged children, I would volunteer to pay higher tax rates to make sure all children get a quality education, access to healthcare, etc. I volunteer with several programs aimed at helping children and teens. I don't know what else I can do.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Human Rights! I saw a video of ISIS training little kids to kill. It is sick! I feel for every kid, we cant save the world but we can stop adding to its destruction by invading the wrong country and talk to our southern neighbors. We wont because it is not profitable.
I believe this is the single biggest and most nefarious source of violence in this world and it always has been. I don't ever see this disgusting love of money and power going away.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
"Stockholm syndrome" is when hostages sympathize with their captors as a means of coping with a stressful situation. But in this thread we have people who aren't even directly affected by the Manchester attack justifying it and directing their anger toward their own society. I suspect the motive is simply a desire to feel morally superior to others who exhibit a more normal, healthy response, but who knows... do we even have a proper term for this type of mental illness?
Classic.

Feeling empathy and expressing it is now a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies