Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

These nutty posts remind me of David Brent and the black man's c*ck joke in The Office.

YouTube - The Office (UK) Racist Joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,933 times
Default Polynesian Power

Actually, in all my years of lifting, as a bodybuilder, powerlifter and arm wrestler, I've never encountered more raw potential for strength development than in Polynesians/Micronesians. Long, full muscle bellies, incredible leverage factors and generally highly mesomorphic proportions. I know Samoans and Tongans who could easily challenge the strongest athletes on the planet if they were so inclined. Most are not. I had the singular opportunity to be raised in Hawai'i and most of my closest friends are "locals"...one of my buddy's was Lenny Latusi who weighed in at ~320 hard pounds in his prime and could bench press 500 as easily as many pro football players can heft 300. I knew a similarly superhuman specimen on Maui who could rip quarters in Half and bend tire irons!!!! I once witnessed this behemouth carry a 327 Chevy engine up a hill on his shoulders...from time to time he would shift this huge and awkward hunk of iron and steel from the left to the right shoulder and back again. I watched this scene in stricken awe. Frank Jocinto. As close to superhuman as I've ever seen, and I've seen most of 'em! There is strength...and then there is STRENGTH!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
In advance some may consider this a dangerous topic, but a worthy nonetheless I feel. I have my opinions of why certain races get ahead more easily than others, many because of poverty and lack of education in Chicago and let' stick to Chicago for this forum as I know this issue is endemic to most major metro areas.

Povery is certainly a major cause but there are also cultural reasons driving this as the Mexicans and Central Americans in the city come here with little and not even English but most work hard and in a few years get ahead or see their children get ahead. To be fair, this is true of many immigrants, including Haitians, dominicans, and Africans so it is not so much a race issue as it is a culture issue.

Many American blacks have been raised in an entitlement culture. Many blacks, like those I work with have gotten beyond this and gone out and gotten good educations and jobs and all the trappings that come with affluence. For many however, there seems to be little hope and there is what appears to be an endless cycle of poverty.

My father, the cattle farmer put it simply, "they are at the bottom" when referring to poor blacks on the west side. And just to avoid you calling my dad ignorant he has bachelor and masters in agriculture and spent 2 years in Vietnam and was twice awarded a purple heart. My mother worked as a sociologist in the 60s and 70s in Gary before teaching special needs children in middle school before the days of ritalin.

So, what do we do to stop this cycle of poverty. Frankly, I am tired of my tax dollars being applied toward programs that don't work (and please don"t attack my family over farm subsidies we are the same page regarding ethanol as it has hurt my father as a cattle farmer, driving up his price of feed).

What can be done to avoid another generation of entitlement?
Don't put this soley on black Americans and African Americans. Believe it or not, real traditional AAs descended from colonial times are doing very well as a group. In fact they are the most successful group in the USA or one of the most successful.

Also many people abroad look down on people of their nationality who come to the USA when they find that they are not at the top of doing as well.

Think about it, in the USA the longer you and your ancestors and generations have been in the USA, and living there regardless of race or background or heritage, the more you might not have taken advantage of opportunities here. It's simply an American thing to an extent but at the same time it's true for just about any nation. If people move to other nations from their respective original homelands there is often a fast hard working drive among new immigrants in countries all around the globe and they take advantage of what their host nations have to offer them. But this is not true all the time.

Many times it's newer arrived blacks that are lagging behind and the ones that may be committing in crimes and engaging in negativity, because other black categorized ethnic groups and immigrants and descendendants of more recent black immigration to the USA may often be lumped in with African Americans(AAs). Many of the ppl that are black that are lagging behind are often ppl that have been here shortly or a few generations but come from direct or full West Indian/Caribbean backgrounds or they may be directly from Continental Africa. Same with even black Hispanics.

The original black Americans as a whole and as a group if you look at them specifically and delve into descendants of colonial black identified or categorized U.S. Americans are doing well.

All groups of all races and backgrounds struggle to ahead after a generation or 2 once they and their children and their descendants are born here in the USA.

It's more of a mental state. Blacks are not doing bad. In addition why hasn't anyone said anything about whites or how white people are doing? Overall white people are committing the most crimes and make up majority of welfare and poverty if people want to start singling out people etc. This bottom-line had to do with stereotyping people in a racist manner.

For example ppl will automatically assume things about a person by default because they look black to them even though that "black" person may not be of traditional American black heritage.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
In advance some may consider this a dangerous topic, but a worthy nonetheless I feel. I have my opinions of why certain races get ahead more easily than others, many because of poverty and lack of education in Chicago and let' stick to Chicago for this forum as I know this issue is endemic to most major metro areas.

Povery is certainly a major cause but there are also cultural reasons driving this as the Mexicans and Central Americans in the city come here with little and not even English but most work hard and in a few years get ahead or see their children get ahead. To be fair, this is true of many immigrants, including Haitians, dominicans, and Africans so it is not so much a race issue as it is a culture issue.

Many American blacks have been raised in an entitlement culture. Many blacks, like those I work with have gotten beyond this and gone out and gotten good educations and jobs and all the trappings that come with affluence. For many however, there seems to be little hope and there is what appears to be an endless cycle of poverty.

My father, the cattle farmer put it simply, "they are at the bottom" when referring to poor blacks on the west side. And just to avoid you calling my dad ignorant he has bachelor and masters in agriculture and spent 2 years in Vietnam and was twice awarded a purple heart. My mother worked as a sociologist in the 60s and 70s in Gary before teaching special needs children in middle school before the days of ritalin.

So, what do we do to stop this cycle of poverty. Frankly, I am tired of my tax dollars being applied toward programs that don't work (and please don"t attack my family over farm subsidies we are the same page regarding ethanol as it has hurt my father as a cattle farmer, driving up his price of feed).

In NY there are a lot of Africans, Haitians, Dominicans and other Latinos (of all races) yet many of them are oppressed and discriminated at times and many are poor or on section 8 or welfare and are not ahead of the real traditional colonial USA descended black categorized Americans. And they are just about as American as everyone else after the first and/or second generations.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:19 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
These nutty posts remind me of David Brent and the black man's c*ck joke in The Office.

YouTube - The Office (UK) Racist Joke

the office "UK." lmfao.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 PM

It's a misguided belief that blacks are behind or struggling to get ahead. It's many blacks that are not of AA descent that are struggling but because they are often lumped into the AA category people wouldn't know it or distinguish the differences and the groups.

For example much of or most of the rappers and hip hoppers are of West Indian, Latin American, and even direct continental African descent.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 PM

It has nothing to do with race. It's about money and economics. It is also about how long you have been in the USA and where you live or how you as an individual behave and conduct yourself. The longer you have been in the host nation or nation that you and your generations and ancestors have remained in and/or were born in the more lazy you may become.

For example, look at the situation of Haitian immigrants and Haitian workers and laborers in Dominican Republic? They are often work hard to sustain a living for themselves and many often surpass black Dominicans that have been in the Dominican Republic since early colonial times. Of course there are many Haitians that are dirt poor in DR of course.

For example look at the case of the English speaking West Indians that came to Panama throughout the early 20th century. They often were hard working and had prominent positions and were economically and financially successful while local original native black Panamanians and just Panamanians of all races essentially, especially of the lower classes drowned in jealousy and resentment about and over how West Indians can just migrate and build their own successful communities and have access to jobs because of their status and English language. Many were doctors and lawyers and worked for the Panama Canal task commissions. Since native original colonial black Panamanians don't speak English they didn't have access to or want to do the jobs that foreigners were coming to Panama to do.

So you see this is a pattern you see in all countries. Although keep in mind that many immigrants and direct descendants of more recent arrivals and immigrants often times are or remain or even become poor too.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is how I see it. There is one segment of the Black population doing decently. There are more Blacks with college diplomas than ever before. More Blacks in the middle class. More Blacks with high incomes than ever before.

There is also another segment of the Black population that is poor, and with low education attainment. A segment of the population is involved in crime, and drugs.

The idea is to know there is more than one segment of the Black American population.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see it. There is one segment of the Black population doing decently. There are more Blacks with college diplomas than ever before. More Blacks in the middle class. More Blacks with high incomes than ever before.

There is also another segment of the Black population that is poor, and with low education attainment. A segment of the population is involved in crime, and drugs.

The idea is to know there is more than one segment of the Black American population.
This can be said of any race or grouping of people. It happens in all racial and ethnic groups all across the board.

Also keep in mind that not all blacks in the USA are of traditional colonial era descended USA African American descent.

There are many blacks in the USA that are not of African American descent. Keep that in mind.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:

75 percent of us are born out of wedlock.........

No dads or stable family structure...... how you start has a huge effect on everything..........

It is a fact that most children in this situation struggle in school, end up unwed parents too, in up in crime or gangs, drop out of school, use drugs and alcohol or early death. Horrible effects on black boys who have no role models......and black girls who need affirmation from their dad end up looking for it in the arms of the slickest dudes who don't know how to treat them.

There's your struggle.........a self-inflicted wound that we still wanna blame on the white man.

It's the hard truth that none of us wanna hear.

Race card aside......we are our own worse enemy.

Last edited by citizenkane2; 10-28-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies