Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,129,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
ESPN has become way too liberal and its disgusting.
Almost all of entertainment has, with a few exceptions on the radio dial.
But I do agree with some of the other postings that ESPN's decline is more due to cable cord cutting, than with politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,039,292 times
ESPN is a Walt Disney company I believe, at least majority owned. So it shouldn't come to a surprise that is it far more liberal, all cable broadcasting is liberal actually.

In a time where there is more competition in sports viewing options, you would think a profit motivated company would be playing it safe. What does it tell you when a company seemingly ignores profits in pursuit of a political agenda? think about that for a minute.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 PM

8,867 posts, read 6,177,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
ESPN is losing subscribers because people like me are cutting cable, and not looking back. I haven't had cable in 12 years, and have not missed it since. Netflix and Hulu satisfy the majority of my visual entertainment needs, and if there's a game on TV, I'll walk down to a bar to watch it.

It has nothing to do with politics.
It has nothing to do with politics for you. For other people, ESPN's political slant may be a factor.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:44 PM

8,867 posts, read 6,177,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Its a combination of things ranked in order.

1. What you said, cord cutting.
2. Ridiculous TMZ obsession over whatever pet they choose to love at the moment (Manti Teo, Tim Tebow, Lonzo Ball. etc)
3. Infusion of politics into sports.
Football and basketball commentary is over-saturated with SJW nonsense. When I watch any sporting events these days I always have the audio muted. The media commentary detracts from the event.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:33 AM

23,549 posts, read 13,766,234 times
Quote:
ESPN is losing subscribers because people like me are cutting cable, and not looking back. I haven't had cable in 12 years, and have not missed it since. Netflix and Hulu satisfy the majority of my visual entertainment needs, and if there's a game on TV, I'll walk down to a bar to watch it.

It has nothing to do with politics.
Something like that.

As I have often said, when I grew up watching ABC Sports and they showed me sports from around the world and then during the day in the modern world and all ESPN shows me are talking heads with snippets of football, baseball, basketball and maybe hockey, I have become very disappointed about the whole 24/7 TV thing.

Twenty-four hours of sports in a world wide network? WHAT A JOKE!

Quote:
..........You have to make a very conscious decision to cancel cable - you can't just "get rid of ESPN" because, as mentioned above, it is baked into almost every single TV package out there. The drop in ESPN subscriptions is very likely correlated with a drop in cable subscriptions. I don't have the data, but I would be willing to bet a lot that the correlation between the two is VERY strong.
Or the decision has to be made for you.

As much as I don't watch television, before I moved to the country, I did a check about getting cable out here.

It doesn't exist. Apparently the cable companies install new coverage in areas by taking over the links of old ones.

So for whatever the desire I might have had for carrying on bad habits, The Gods decided, at least for me, that it should end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
........ESPN could be gay marriage advocating, pro choice loving, anti blm'r, pro israel crusaders and I wouldn't want to watch them if thats what was being discussed when I am trying to watch baseball highlights.
Well, that's part of the problem. If one isn't a prime time viewer, all they get are highlights.....and the message that if you are not prime time, they don't care about you.

In a world wide network with 24 hour coverage, that is really the stake in the heart. As I have often said, I don't care if my sports during the day are the sheep shearing quarterlies in Alice or the Bungi jumping finals in Tahiti; show me sports, not talking heads!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-28-2017 at 12:44 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 03:17 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,268,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It has nothing to do with politics for you. For other people, ESPN's political slant may be a factor.
So if people choose to tune out ESPN for some of it's politics, are they also tuning out sports in general that involves itself in politics, such as anthem protests, boycotting states that pass Religious Freedom laws, or bathroom bills? I guess sports will just be a sore eye for some, because in general sports and it's make-up has been drifting liberal on social issues for some time now.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:42 AM

736 posts, read 351,097 times
ESPN leftist politics isn't helping them, but I think their decline is more due to changed technology. Before the internet, people had to watch television to get the news about the game if you missed it, but now you can skip the commercials, bs, and go straight for the info on the internet. It's more efficient and faster. Why bother with commercials and useless commentary.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:46 AM

736 posts, read 351,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
So if people choose to tune out ESPN for some of it's politics, are they also tuning out sports in general that involves itself in politics, such as anthem protests, boycotting states that pass Religious Freedom laws, or bathroom bills? I guess sports will just be a sore eye for some, because in general sports and it's make-up has been drifting liberal on social issues for some time now.
You do have a point. I rarely watch sports for the reasons you mentioned. Besides, it's not like I gain anything or make money from these sport teams.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,268,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
You do have a point. I rarely watch sports for the reasons you mentioned. Besides, it's not like I gain anything or make money from these sport teams.
So I take it you were not much of a sports fan in the first place, and that is perfectly ok. I believe those that would boycott sports due to politics are not nor ever were really into sports.

It is like yesterday reading about Jim Bunnings passing. He held the position that every illegal immigrant should be deported, yet he did not boycott his past occupation when the MLB Players Association denounced the Arizona Immigration Law, nor did any true Baseball fan. It is simply a disagreement, and life goes on.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,176,206 times
The relevance of entertainment has diminished for our young people who are trying very hard to find their place in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies