Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,575,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Causes are multiple. See below.

Incorrect. See below.

It's more complicated than that.

The causes of rural hospital closings are multiple. What follows are the SIX identified by Kaiser in excerpt form - read the lengthy report for all the details:
The real issues are poverty, demographics, competition, corporate decisions, budget sequestration, and failure to adapt.

Also, states which had not expanded Medicaid under the ACA, were more apt to experience rural hospital closings.

Lack Of Medicaid Expansion Hurts Rural Hospitals More Than Urban Facilities | Kaiser Health News
I think the key words here are "failure to adapt". The hospitals aren't the key issue here it's rural living as a whole falling out of fashion and functionality.

The same thing can be seen in rural places in Europe. In northern Sweden a lot of people living in rural villages etc are wondering why supermarkets, post offices and pharmacies etc are disappearing.
The simple answer is that when enough people and businesses move into the cities and leave the little towns behind as unproductive husks of former industries, these little towns lose their relevance.

The old welders, iron workers lumberjacks and whatnot need to re-saddle as something else, somewhere else. Industries die and new ones arise that's just the way economy works, and unlike the american automotive industry there is no bailout for failures.
Something goes for industries moving abroad, or taken over by low-wage foreign workers. it sucks for truck drivers that a polish driver will do the same job for a third of the pay, but all they can do is adapt.
Or that production of things move to low-wage countires like china, all the former factory workers can do is adapt and learn new professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,559,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
A state-by-state breakdown of 80 rural hospital closures

As more and more hospitals are built in urban cities, it seems like where Trump won in rural America many, many hospitals have closed the doors since 2010.

Since, there is very high Medicaid/Medicare usage in states that voted Trump. I wonder what happens when all these cuts go through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Lovecrowds, didn't you use to be a Trump supporter?

It was a pleasant surprise to see this posting, by this contributor.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,582,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Unless you are one of those folks you so apparently despise, you are in no position to determine their self interest. Only they are. And you inability so see this is why President Trump.
I don't despise them, where in anything I wrote you can infer I dislike anyone ????

Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,582,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They've closed due to rural depopulation due to the prevalence of larger and larger farms with more mechanization.
Well is that loss of smaller farms benefitting the rank and file ?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 AM

78,007 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well is that loss of smaller farms benefitting the rank and file ?
Just stating what has actually been occurring and I have no idea what you mean by "rank and file" because that's a term more applicable to say factory workers while small farms are basically small businesses.

Price pressure for efficiency (lower cost of food) is the main culprit that has pushed small farms out, they just don't have the economies of scale to compete.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:

As more and more hospitals are built in urban cities, it seems like where Trump won in rural America many, many hospitals have closed the doors since 2010.

Since, there is very high Medicaid/Medicare usage in states that voted Trump. I wonder what happens when all these cuts go through.
Soon, I hope. I cannot wait until they reap what they have sown.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
That's ridiculous. They vote against their self interest to support people who couldn't care less about them because they are depicted in a manner they don't like ?
Yes, that is what the poster said.

And they call OTHERS snowflakes.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:14 AM

16,873 posts, read 10,533,371 times
Get rid of "licensing " and see how fast health care costs drop and access increases.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,491,059 times
I am glad Obamacare is showing it ugly head and causing hospitals to close. None of this is Trumls fault. No Trumpcare has gone forward or been implemented.
Obamacare takes profit from companies and puts into government and lobbyists, big pharm etc.
But Dems will defelct, deny blah blah.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,892,085 times
Quote:

good news, rural people will now be able to go to bigger and more effective hospitals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies