Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times

Advertisements

Alamo Drafthouse, located in Austin, Texas is showing a special screening on June 6 only for women, and those who identify as a woman. It would be interesting to see how they're going to enforce this.

Alamo Drafthouse Launches A Woman Only Screening of Wonder Woman.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Let them, it's Wonder Woman for Christ's sake. What dude cares that much about it?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
This is a business. Who cares if for one night, with such a movie, it's for women only? Is it the "identify as a woman" part that's supposed to be extra scandalous? Just stop going to Alamo Drafthouse if you (general) think it's that egregious.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
There's other theaters in town right? If so, no big deal...

Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Dust off the ol' stilettos and head to the show, then?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
If I identify as a woman for a night am I then appropriating a gender?

The thread about people in Portland getting mad a white people for owning a Mexican restaurant the makes hand made tortillas has me all confused.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM

477 posts, read 276,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Let them, it's Wonder Woman for Christ's sake. What dude cares that much about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There's other theaters in town right? If so, no big deal...
On the surface, I agree with you both.

But notice the gender exclusion at the forefront of the article. If it were a screening of say, 'Iron Man,' and the theater announced a showing for ONLY men, and not only that, but that ONLY men would be working at the theater during the showing, you bet your butt that women would be furious. It would be front page news with plenty of outrage and blah blah blah. Women would not react the same as you - just dismissing it as no big deal.

They'd be calling for the theater manager's head.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:17 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post

But notice the gender exclusion at the forefront of the article. If it were a screening of say, 'Iron Man,' and the theater announced a showing for ONLY men, and not only that, but that ONLY men would be working at the theater during the showing, you bet your butt that women would be furious. It would be front page news with plenty of outrage and blah blah blah. Women would not react the same as you - just dismissing it as no big deal.

*Shrug* If this establishment wanted to do a showing like that, I don't care as a woman. I'd go see Iron Man (I love Marvel films!) somewhere else if I had to see it that very night. It's especially non-newsworthy since it's only one night out of many movie screenings. Many events have themes during its duration.

In your situation, women are not being blocked from seeing Iron Man ever. They are not being blocked from ever seeing Iron Man at that location, even. Just that one showing at that one location. Same for this actual Wonder Woman situation.

Now, some women may get offended by your hypothetical Iron Man showing, sure, as are some men in this actual situation. I roll my eyes at them all.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
Exactly. If there was a male only movie night at a venue, feminists would be protesting and riot.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:

Women worldwide would breath a sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies