Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:04 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

Nothing I can think of. I believe that life begins at conception, "abortion stops a beating heart" and PP even agreed to that. I oppose taking arms from American citizens, and support enforcing immigration law and securing the border.

Nope, have no use for the Democratic Party. They changed over the years. My family were devoted Democrats, but I know if they were living today, they would not support the Democratic Party. I remember the Democratic Party of President Kennedy, you know the one that asked "Not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." That was the Democratic Party that got my vote until this century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdA1ikkoEc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 02:04 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I voted for President Trump, but I'd like to see a single payer/universal health care system put into place. It'll never happen as long as insurance companies and the AMA can buy politicians at will.
100% agree. This Republican would like to shut every stinking Health Insurance Company down. Put anyone who makes more than 100K with a Health Insurance company on a boat and send them to Haiti. (or that island in the Bahamas where that concert was supposed to be).

We need them in our workforce like we need a bunch of gerbils....& they have similar skill sets.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't really believe in student loan forgiveness.
I don't think I've ever agreed with you gladhands. But I do now.

Wow...what a thread.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and statements like this is why some of us have trouble with the side that is so biased they don't see the other side of anything. You are the perfect example of this..
I don't know if it is a reflection of bias at all. Trump is very much not in line with many Republicans on many issues. Does that mean he is the true reflection of Republican/conservatism? There is definitely an evolution of positions in the party, and I understand where the commentor is coming from in that regard.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Here is my view on certain issues: I lean to the right for sure. I am pro life, but see reasons for abortions in rare cases: I believe 100% in equal opportunity, I don't believe in giving any preference to any race of group: I believe in gay rights, but don't like to see gay or any group flaunt their beliefs. I believe in a balanced budget as much as possible. Drugs, certainly pot should be legalized. Let people decide for themselves what bad habits they want to take part in. Lord know I drink enough wine for 3 of us. I do not do any illegal drugs and never would. Keep us out of unnecessary involvement in other countries affairs. control the borders, but have a work program. I have no problem with government assistance for those who truly need help, but 50% or those getting assistance should get off their butts and take care of themselves and their families.

Last but not least, I support the police 100% and i am in favor of the second amendment even though I do not and will never own a gun.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't know if it is a reflection of bias at all. Trump is very much not in line with many Republicans on many issues. Does that mean he is the true reflection of Republican/conservatism? There is definitely an evolution of positions in the party, and I understand where the commentor is coming from in that regard.
Thanks, this is exactly what I mean. As nearly as I can tell, many people right here on c-d voted for trump exactly because he is NOT the usual R.

For instance, I'd like to like the Trump who said that he thinks marijuana should be legal for medical uses. But that does not appear to be the Trump who is appointing the folks who are responsible for federal drug law enforcement.

AFAIK, the official R platform is still very strongly opposed to marijuana legalization. However, libertarian-leaning Rs are joining with Ds in supporting a package of bills introduced by the Congressional Cannabis Caucus, which would strengthen states' efforts to foster a legal marijuana industry.

So it would be fair to say that I like the Rs who support marijuana legalization in some form or other - but I don't think it would be fair to say that I like the general R position that opposes legalization.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Liberal here, my experience teaching public school convinced me the Dept of Education should never have been established and should be scrapped. States and local school districts should run their own public schools (but held accountable by the DOJ if they violate civil/constitutional rights). So although DeVos, like her boss, is a clueless incompetent idiot, I hope she runs the agency into the ground for good.

I'm not a fan of federally guaranteed student or small business or FHA loans or grants.

Social security survivor benefits need to be overhauled (reduced or phased out) - but very gradually so that people have ample time to plan.

IMO, there's way too much FDA overreach re prescription and OTC meds.

We're gun owners who support strict licensing and background checks for buyers and sellers.

Trump has no platform so these beliefs don't mean I agree or disagree with him, but they align with the beliefs of many traditional conservatives.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,171 times
Conservative, Trump voter, more Libertarian than main stream Republican.

Marijuana and honestly probably more drugs after that. It is insane, I mean insane that the federal government thinks I am so dumb that they need to tell me what I can and cannot smoke, eat, snort etc. Do propaganda, spend some money on research, maybe make rules saying Federal employees themselves cannot do it, don't allow marijuana sellers hide the ingredient or dangerously alter it, etc but don't wage a war over a plant. Seriously the Federal Government is in a drug war against a plant.

I also laugh when I hear a conservative talk about individual freedom, but yet has to tell me what not to smoke. LOL

Trump and the current Senate won't touch it. Hell a very liberal President Obama didn't touch it. I think it is a big deal. Wasted money is the big one but also just the idea of the Federal Government thinking I am so stupid that without them I will get high off of drugs until I die.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:43 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Because talk radio and Fox News tell you so? Every corner of the nation? WTF do you live?
I live in a big city in a conservative part of the country where the majority of the people in my community vote democrat....

Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I agree with the left that our wages are really low in comparison with how much the cost of everything has gone up.

The issue is that I do not agree with them how that is resolved. The left wants to force people to pay $15/hr for the lowest jobs out there.

I propose that we get rid of illegal aliens who drive wages down, we give Americans a chance at the job, first, before an H1B visa holder who will also drive the wages down, we secure our border, we do not give 'pathway to citizenship', we use e-verify, we prosecute those who hire illegals, and we get rid of the federal minimum wage.

Let it be up to each state to decide, not the federal government. It's been pointed out on this forum so many times I can't even count that there's over 1500 economies in this country. A wage that would be doable in one state will not work in another state. You can live ok, (not have anything extra) if you had 2 people in a house making Federal min wage in the state of Maine. You cannot live ok if you had 2 peole living in a house making Federal min wage in a place like NYC, or San Fran, or even Seattle.

So let the states decide. Let the people of the states make those decisions. Instead of relying on the Federal government for everything, elect people in your own state to do the job right...the job that will affect you and no one else in the country but you.

Frankly, I'd like to get rid of any mandatory min wage because I think once that is gone, those who won't pay won't find quality work and they will lose. The ones who will pay will find better workers and they will flourish. Unfortunately, the left doesn't want to let the free market work.

So yeah, pay is pretty dang low for a lot of jobs and it shouldn't be. But it won't be fixed by forcing everyone to pay an outrageous wage that is unaffordable for many businesses in many areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies