Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I lived exclusively in rural communities. We have also been debt-free since 2000 which I suspect few that "flocked to the cities" can say.

Statistics are tricky and often say what the person making the study want them to say, much like polls.

Trump is already working on making rural areas better by booting the illegal aliens back where they belong. Much of the lack of "opportunity and prosperity in rural areas is due to illegal aliens flocking in, driving up poverty, etc. and outsourcing of manufacturing jobs. Also, agriculture has taken a big hit, since we bring so much from out of country without a tariff making it hard to impossible for our farmers to compete.

You can have the cities. The cities have a very mobile population making it hard to base statistics on anything of value.

Top 10 US Cities with the highest HIV rate: Top 10 U.S. Cities With Highest Rates of HIV Infections Guess that isn't so rural. Highest risk of cancer: The 15 Counties Most At Risk For Cancer - Business Insider Queens is not rural, is it? Brooklyn, NY?
well said. i have lived in big cities, and small towns, and even farming communities, and while i prefer the city i live in now, i also prefer the small town lifestyle. when i was growing up, my city was "the city with a small town attitude".

Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Rural areas have always lacked opportunity and prosperity. That's been true since 10,000 BC. That's why people flocked to the cities.
Go ahead and take the riffraff.

The only problems where I live come from the reservation.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:23 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
I live in an area that's about as rural as you can get. Draw a line from Denver to Albuquerque and pick the spot halfway in-between. That's where I am, 5 hours one-way driving time to a major city, the population of the town I'm in is 4400, but regardless it is still the largest town in my county.

I wouldn't leave this place unless you paid me a lot of money.

One phenomenon that is occurring that you may be unaware of is that older people, with either their own income source or nest egg, are moving into these rural areas, and most of these folks are doing just fine. Jobs may be disappearing, but the number of retirees alone will support and are supporting the infrastructure, grocery stores, small hospitals, etc.

I'm actually here, unlike the WSJ. I'll answer any questions you want to ask.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:23 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,100,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Rural America is a low density slum, yes.

But at least they aren't shooting each other, like in the urban ghettos.
No, they are just dying from drugs, depression, hopelessness and loneliness. Thy voted trump so they will get screwed with their govnt supported health care soon. Stupid does what stupid does....

Old 05-26-2017, 04:29 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,100,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Tell you what, you can take your big cities and... well, you know what I want to say. The area I live in may now have a whole bunch of jobs since it has gone from rural to metropolis, but I despise the place more each day. I can't wait until the day I can go to the "boonies." I have a little patch of ground in rural eastern North Dakota. The nearest town has less than two hundred residents. There has been negative growth since the nineteen forties. And I CAN'T WAIT to get there and the day that all I hear is the wind through the grass, a few birds singing, and a tractor out in the field a half mile away. If that's "very bad" give me very bad any day of the week.
That land of yours was stolen from some native folks. Don't be so smug.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Which rural areas? I ride and have worked as a groom with horses at shows all over and many of the richest towns I have seen are usually rural places and small towns. belle meade tennessee, horse country in northern virginia, there is a ton of wealth in small towns and rural areas in texas and florida.
No kidding. Around here, folks with money all have second homes in the country. They often retire there too. "Rural" is no longer cheap, it's expensive. I know dried up towns exist, guess it depends on where you live.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That land of yours was stolen from some native folks. Don't be so smug.
Who more than likely stole it from some other native folks.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
If I was part of a young family I would never raise my kids in a city. It's filthy, expensive, crime-filled, diseased and you care more about the idea of a decent environment than actually experiencing one except once a year maybe, when you go on vacation to visit trees, clean air, wildlife and open spaces.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,246 times
This area has always been a lot rural and a little bitcity, well if you call the largest town in the eastern 1/2 of a very large peninsula a city. Chippewa County is 2700 sq miles with about 40K people. Sault St. Marie is almost 1/2 of the total population.

The median income is 20K per year less than the state median, we have higher incidences of drug and alchohol abuse and high rates of domestic violence.

But if you are one of the lucky ones, you work for the Hospital or a government agency. We have, DHS, Corp of Engineers, Border Patrol, Department of Nat Resources, Immigration and Customs, a state university and so many more government jobs. Without them, this area would be an economic wasteland.

Transportation costs for manufacturing is probably almost prohibitive and greatly reduce even light manufacturing unless small items that can go UPS,etc. Even with I-75 running through the county we are still a 6 hour drive to Detroit area.

It is a great place to retire too.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
Oh, yes, conditions are dire in the boonies. Stay where you are, if you aren't already here, I mean there. Yeah, there. Where ignorance and fear abound.

rofl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.