Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 01:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Oh, yes they are. Poverty, drugs and guns. They all go hand in hand. Only the locations differ.
Cities are incredibly safe these days. Like I mentioned in a previous post, gentrification is pushing the undesirable elements out of the area. Areas that may have warzones in the 70s and 80s are now home to programmers, doctors, lawyers, etc.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trump is already working on making rural areas better by booting the illegal aliens back where they belong.
Sounds like there will be a "huuuge" jobs boom for rural Americans who want to clean houses and pick grapes.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Sounds like there will be a "huuuge" jobs boom for rural Americans who want to clean houses and pick grapes.
And leave a similar legacy for their children.

I think that both cities and rural ares have their pros and cons.

But the OP's post is not an indictment of rural America. It is just a data driven view of the problems that face rural citizens (per the article cited).

If I were a rural denizen, I'd welcome the discussion and hope that it led to attention and maybe improvement. Personally, I live halfway between one of America's biggest cities and farm country. The view ain't half bad from here. Very low crime, excellent job opportunities, well informed neighbors and anything you want less than an hour away.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:37 AM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
The majority of tiny towns in rural areas has far lower crime than even the "lower crime" big cities. Look it up yourselves on citydata right here. So while there are problems, they are safer still overall than many nice urban neighborhoods. Even a nice urban neighborhood is often within very easy walking distance from a terrible neighborhood. Gangs and whatnot are not however going to bother driving 100 miles away into the "boonies" without a great reason.

Also, in order to make rural life "worth it", you better have at least a little bit of living off the land skills. If you treat a cabin in the woods like it's a highrise condo, staying inside on your computer until you need to go to the store, then it perhaps makes little sense to live there. You need to grow some food, can, hunt, fish, do home improvement etc to truly live country. You can get by with less income if you utilize the advantages of a bountiful land.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:38 AM

321 posts, read 183,041 times
I drove through the rural Midwest once. Talk about a cesspool. Entire towns where the residents collectively had fewer than 10 teeth, rusted out junk wagons, stray dogs roaming the street, boarded up storefronts with broken out windows, heroin addicts sprawled out on the cracked sidewalks spilling into the rain gutters - and these were some of the nicer parts.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
I drove through the rural Midwest once. Talk about a cesspool. Entire towns where the residents collectively had fewer than 10 teeth, rusted out junk wagons, stray dogs roaming the street, boarded up storefronts with broken out windows, heroin addicts sprawled out on the cracked sidewalks spilling into the rain gutters - and these were some of the nicer parts.
That is not unlike the drive I took from Punta Gorda to Orlando. Even with the windows up and A/C on, I needed a shower when I got to my destination. Not that Orlando is anything to brag about!

Old 05-27-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
That is not unlike the drive I took from Punta Gorda to Orlando. Even with the windows up and A/C on, I needed a shower when I got to my destination. Not that Orlando is anything to brag about!
The most disgusting rest stops I've ever seen were in Florida. Absolutely filthy. I've seen better public facilities in third world countries.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 AM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
I've been to some big coastal cities before. Man what a dump. Whole neighborhoods with graffiti every 5 feet and overgrown lawns choked with weeds and litter. Bums aggressively panhandling at every street corner wearing pee and sweat soaked rags. Gunshots, police and ambulence sirens sounding off at all hours of the night. Old brick buildings crumbling apart with strung out looking hookers and the stench of dumpster juice everywhere. And I was told that this was supposed to be the hip trendy part.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I've been to some big coastal cities before. Man what a dump. Whole neighborhoods with graffiti every 5 feet and overgrown lawns choked with weeds and litter. Bums aggressively panhandling at every street corner wearing pee and sweat soaked rags. Gunshots, police and ambulence sirens sounding off at all hours of the night. Old brick buildings crumbling apart with strung out looking hookers and the stench of dumpster juice everywhere. And I was told that this was supposed to be the hip trendy part.
Are you sure you weren't in St. Louis?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:20 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
All of you describing your life in the country is like hearing a horror story for me.

I bet you are all happy. That is great!!!! I'm happy you enjoy your lifestyle. I know you are happy for me too and wouldn't ever make a personal attack because I choose to live differently. Nah -- especially you people in the country -- you all are so warm and friendly and neighborly.
I do not understand why anyone cares where someone else lives. Why can't people just leave other people alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies