Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fair point, but if you read through the article there was another case in Texas which is equally shocking.
This... ?
Quote:
Lyndsy Duet, now a school counselor in Texas, told me that she was forced into a marriage at 17 after enduring a series of rapes beginning when she was 14, by a young man her conservative Christian family had taken into the house. Confused, shamed and helpless, she didn’t speak up — but her rapist did.
“He asked my parents if he could marry me,” Duet remembers. “My mom was crying, she was so happy.”

Duet felt powerless to resist her parents’ pressure — and it was eight years before she could flee what she says was a violent marriage. Once, she says, her husband threatened her with a chain saw, and it was only when she went to college on her own and proved a brilliant student (she graduated first in her class) that she was able to escape.
... is a pretty unremarkable story. It only sounds shocking because the word "rape" is used to describe the sex involved. But the chain saw is a nice added touch, and of course there is a lesson the NYT wants you to learn:
Quote:
“Most girls who reach out to us love their families,” Reiss says, “and their primary concern is that they don’t want their families to get into trouble.”
Loving conservative Christian families are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Check out the pew research link I provided earlier. The US average is 4.6 per thousand. California is 5.5, texas 6.9. North and south Dakota? 2.8 and 2.9. Oregon is 3.8. So its not a red or blue state thing. Nor a rural vs city (the dakotas are rural)
I assure you they think it is or this guy wouldn't have posted it, and the NY Times is famous for articles like that. It's more of a small town issue more than anything I believe as far as people marrying young that is. They even have a higher rate of 19 year olds marrying. As a single man we all know the last place you look for single women is a small town, they're always married.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
For most of history, in most of the world, marriage at the onset of puberty was/ is common stuff.

Delaware once considered the age of consent for a girl to be age 7. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall, while men debated this one.

The story in the OP's link happened 45 years ago, in 1972.

Only 10 states currently have laws prohibiting marriage under 16, no matter the reason or parental consent. Florida is not one of them.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
Florida...enough said.
Save your outrage, Oregon has the same rate as Florida.

The woman in the article was married in the early 70's, she's now in her mid 50's.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Many liberals actually support things such as this and an age of consent under 18, rapist Muslims, Hollywierd supports guys like Roman Polanski etc..... so the irony is that the NY Times is attempting to use this as an article to slam certain states just like they always do, but their base actually has no problem with any of it.
Just stop. No decent person, conservative or liberal, supports this.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:49 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight
These men should have ended up in jail, instead they end up marrying the victim. I can't fathom the logic.
Yes poor girl........... I HOPE THE GUY PAYS CHILD SUPPORT FOR HER UNTIL SHE IS 18!!

Sad

Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Many liberals actually support things such as this and an age of consent under 18, rapist Muslims, Hollywierd supports guys like Roman Polanski etc..... so the irony is that the NY Times is attempting to use this as an article to slam certain states just like they always do, but their base actually has no problem with any of it.
You have just self-identified as someone who enables child rape & forced marriage via the unsupported allegation that "liberals" do it too.

And your 'facts' are inane. No one "supports" Roman Polanski or defends him that I am aware of. Or "Muslim rapists". And many of the states that have an age of consent below 18 are red states.

Were you raised in a Skinner box on the Breitbart premises?

Don't complain about generalizing to Florida, after that bizarre rant.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This... ?

... is a pretty unremarkable story. It only sounds shocking because the word "rape" is used to describe the sex involved. But the chain saw is a nice added touch, and of course there is a lesson the NYT wants you to learn:

Loving conservative Christian families are the problem.
You don't think being forced into sex from the age of 14 isn't rape? A 14 year old being repeatedly raped in her own home and then forced into marriage to her rapist by her own family is an 'unremarkable story'??

Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You don't think being forced into sex from the age of 14 isn't rape? A 14 year old being repeatedly raped in her own home and then forced into marriage to her rapist by her own family is an 'unremarkable story'??
The woman doesn't even claim that the sex was forced. They're calling it rape because she was underage

Old 05-27-2017, 06:43 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The woman doesn't even claim that the sex was forced. They're calling it rape because she was underage
She doesn't say it was consensual either, and on the balance of probability where a 14 year old has sex with an older man and reports being confused, shamed, and helpless, I highly doubt it was consensual. It was rape. And its not a minor thing - she was made to marry her rapist, can't you imagine how that must have felt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies