Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 PM

56,967 posts, read 25,922,798 times

Advertisements

I almost couldn't believe what I was reading, I thought that they had the wrong country. This story was stunning in itself but far from the only case. A large majority were young girls and older men but most require the consent of the parents , a judge or both. Many states don't even have a minimum age, my own state is 14.

How can a 11 or 12 year old girl be allowed to marry, that is insane.

Quote:
When she was a scrawny 11-year-old, Sherry Johnson found out one day that she was about to be married to a 20-year-old member of her church who had raped her.
“It was forced on me,” she recalls. She had become pregnant, she says, and child welfare authorities were investigating — so her family and church officials decided the simplest way to avoid a messy criminal case was to organize a wedding.
“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Johnson remembers today, many years later. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/o...e-us.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,780,494 times
Many liberals actually support things such as this and an age of consent under 18, rapist Muslims, Hollywierd supports guys like Roman Polanski etc..... so the irony is that the NY Times is attempting to use this as an article to slam certain states just like they always do, but their base actually has no problem with any of it.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,270,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Many liberals actually support things such as this and an age of consent under 18, rapist Muslims, Hollywierd supports guys like Roman Polanski etc..... so the irony is that the NY Times is attempting to use this as an article to slam certain states just like they always do, but their base actually has no problem with any of it.
No they don't. Just stop this sort of nonsense. Where do you get this sort of stupid stuff from?

Spreading this sort of nonsense about people because they disagree about politics is disgusting. You should be ashamed.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM

These men should have ended up in jail, instead they end up marrying the victim. I can't fathom the logic.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
Florida...enough said.
Texas has by far the most marriages by minors followed by Fl and KY, but reporting is based on census figures.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:56 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,270,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Texas has by far the most marriages by minors followed by Fl and KY, but reporting is based on census figures.
Pew did a study on this. While Texas and West Virginia led the pack, it was not by a ton.

Child marriage is rare in U.S. but varies by state | Pew Research Center

Some allow 12+ to be married with parental consent, Florida stands out as the only one allowing any marriage no matter the age if the underage person is pregnant. So yeah, Florida is in fact one of the few places this can happen.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,548,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Oh, bull! No liberal I have ever met thinks this kind of thing is okay. Stop lying.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,655,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Pew did a study on this. While Texas and West Virginia led the pack, it was not by a ton.

Some allow 12+ to be married with parental consent, Florida stands out as the only one allowing any marriage no matter the age if the underage person is pregnant. So yeah, Florida is in fact one of the few places this can happen.
Another reason to avoid Florida! That's downright creepy.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Data varies due to lack of reporting, Tx and FL stand out because of large populations but other states have high rates like KY and ID.

The article indicated a clerk in FL refused to sign the marriage certificate because of the girls age, I wonder if Kim Davis the clerk in KY that refused to sign certificates for same sex couples did the same.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,719,650 times
This story follows the typical NYT pattern:

- Go out into the American hinterlands and find an example of rural white Christians behaving in an embarrassingly backward manner, even if, as in the highlighted case, it is something that happened many years ago.

- Use statistics misleadingly. In this case show the numbers of under-18 marriages while talking about elementary school age girls.

- Omit any reference to the true demographic nature of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies