Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why?

Why should an employer waste their time and money on an employee who doesn't know what he or she is doing and who may or may not be trainable?

Well then stop whining that you can't find "qualified" people to fill your positions if you never want to be the guy that makes some "qualified" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
They do nothing. Zero. On the job training belongs to 1970s. Now it's simple: if I can't find the skilled workforce here, I will outsource, or bring in foreign workers. In any case, I'm not going to deal with "training", which costs me money.
Then along comes an orange menace .....

Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It used to be an option for a kid to learn a trade in high school like welding, a/c heating repair, auto repair, etc. Those high school free trade training programs were closed decades ago when the everyone must go to college craze went nuclear. Now, trade training schools are expensive. I wish the education system would bring back these types of options for high school kids. Most skilled trades businesses are begging for skilled trades people where I live. A sociology degree is a dime a dozen, however.
There have been several posts addressing this topic, so I'm quoting this one because it was the first that I saw.

Another poster had mentioned that high schools can send kids who are interested in learning skilled trades to career centers. I've seen that as well: either career centers, or dual enrollment with a nearby community college; often for free. Generally the kids who want to be welders, auto mechanics, electricians, HVAC technicians, etc., can do that, aren't looked down upon, and aren't the ones having issues finding jobs. I have a number of thoughts on trades for high school students, and I'll briefly outline them here. Schools in my opinion don't do a good job of introducing careers to students in general, college-bound or not. I also don't know about how to best establish a pool of interested students. A lot of 15-16 year-olds have no idea what they want to with their lives. Since skilled trades require motivated, intelligent workers, wouldn't it be best to target supposedly "college-bound" students as well? Also, skilled trades skew heavily male, so what can be done to get young women interested in them?

That being said, I think the bigger issue is that people who are willing to become truck drivers or uproot themselves to a new city are fairly motivated individuals. In prior years, many of those motivated individuals weren't educated. So 100 years ago, if you're in a depressed town, and you hear that the auto factories are hiring and move to Detroit, that took guts. At some point those jobs then became easily accessible to anyone nearby, and you had a different pool of people taking them.

Also, we all know that our sociology graduates are happily living in big cities and working in coffee shops while paying off their six-figure student loans.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well then stop whining that you can't find "qualified" people to fill your positions if you never want to be the guy that makes some "qualified" people.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
This is a corporate America issue they don't want to train anyone anymore and want "the other" company to do it. Also the hiring process at companies has become a convoluted mess due to HR departments. Then they have a whole 40 bullet point list of demands for a job that pays a measly 12 bucks an hour.

Stop bringing up foreign workers you naive people. Corporate America only likes foreign workers so they can pay lower wages.

How many times do I have to tell you this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It used to be an option for a kid to learn a trade in high school like welding, a/c heating repair, auto repair, etc. Those high school free trade training programs were closed decades ago when the everyone must go to college craze went nuclear. Now, trade training schools are expensive. I wish the education system would bring back these types of options for high school kids. Most skilled trades businesses are begging for skilled trades people where I live. A sociology degree is a dime a dozen, however.
The skilled trades are too nepotism based and they have a horrible hiring/training system. If they need people so bad then they need to learn how to attract people to the trade. Do they go to job fairs for example?

Back when I was younger and used to go to job fairs I don't ever recall seeing a stand with company reps looking for people that wanted to be trained in the skilled trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
American employers believe they are entitled to a labor pool of qualified workers, i.e. it's not the job of employers to train workers.

Japanese employers take the most qualified graduates out of school and train them to do what the employer wants from them.
Right and American companies want to take the graduate but not do any of the training whereas Japanese companies will... so this transcends the white collar fields and the blue collar fields both.

Corporate America is the problem as always..notice a trend?

Last edited by wanderlust76; 05-31-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM

727 posts, read 390,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why?

Why should an employer waste their time and money on an employee who doesn't know what he or she is doing and who may or may not be trainable?

Employers are not charities. If they're hiring, it's because they need someone to do a job. They're not hiring so they can coddle someone for a year only to conclude that hired someone who's hopeless, and now they have to get rid of that person and bring in someone else.
This is a very short sighted opinion. When I was hiring, I would look for the skills necessary to do the job and the candidate's willingness to learn. Talent often comes without experience. If I hired them, I would invest in educating them to do the job better. It's an investment because it pays off.

It also pays to provide a living wage, health care and retirement benefits. After investing all that time and money into my employees I want to reap the reward, not watch my investment walk out the door because I was a jerk or too cheap to pay them what they are worth.

I could have made several times over what I did if I paid what other companies like mine did and denied them benefits but that's not the way I'm built. The importance of the employee-employer relationships cannot be overstated. People are an investment, not a commodity.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
People are an investment, not a commodity.
Heretic! Burn him!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Amazon is hiring and they expect the employees to have an education.

Amazon plans to hire 100,000 U.S. employees over next 18 months | The Seattle Times
Amazon hired 100,000 in 2016 ( Obama did not tweet about it) and plans to hire 100,000 more this year. Most of these jobs are a part of "the burgeoning armies of lower-paid warehouse operators". Starting pay is around $12.30/hour. High school is the only education requirement. Applicants will, however, have to pass a criminal background check and drug testing.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
From the story, Cromwell Ind is near nothing. 30 mi NW or SE and they would have a much larger pool of workers.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
And on the flip side, people need to stop whining and crying that they can't find work with a decent pay if they are unwilling to get the training THEMSELVES. This hand holding crap needs to stop or they can starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies