Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:43 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainmachine View Post
The fact that bible belt evangelicals overwhelming broke for a wretch like Donald Trump shows that their interpretation of the Bible isn't literal either.
What does a literal interpretation of the bible even mean?

It's so wildly inconsistent, self-contradictory, and utterly nonsensical that one can draw pretty much any conclusion one wants simply by selectively choosing which set of contradictory statements one wishes to subscribe to.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:56 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
Why do people argue about things that cannot be proven?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainmachine View Post
The fact that bible belt evangelicals overwhelming broke for a wretch like Donald Trump shows that their interpretation of the Bible isn't literal either.
And what little lip service Trump gave the bible and Christianity was so transparent and ham-fisted. The support evangelicals gave Trump is testament to how distasteful they find the democrat platform and its identity politics, particularly as regards LBGT and other "non-biblical" lifestyles.

The bible believers knowingly made a deal with the devil. The few fundies who actually believe Trump is in line with their beliefs are woefuly ignorant.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Not anymore, thanks to Jerry Falwell the elder. The Trump White House and evangelical Christianity are one and the same.
Him and a million before him going back to the first tribal shaman. Religion has always been used as means of political control.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
And what little lip service Trump gave the bible and Christianity was so transparent and ham-fisted. The support evangelicals gave Trump is testament to how distasteful they find the democrat platform and its identity politics, particularly as regards LBGT and other "non-biblical" lifestyles.

The bible believers knowingly made a deal with the devil. The few fundies who actually believe Trump is in line with their beliefs are woefuly ignorant.
This is true. The evangelical support Trump had was because he offered the best chance supreme court justices who might overturn Roe v Wade and marriage equality. That's all that it was about. If it weren't for them, Trump wouldn't be President. I squarely blame evangelicals for Trump's win, not the other parts of his base who actually might have had legitimate reasons for voting for him.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:47 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true. The evangelical support Trump had was because he offered the best chance supreme court justices who might overturn Roe v Wade and marriage equality. That's all that it was about. If it weren't for them, Trump wouldn't be President. I squarely blame evangelicals for Trump's win, not the other parts of his base who actually might have had legitimate reasons for voting for him.
The association with evangelical Christians and conservative politics is overblown. I am a evangelical Christian and detest Trump. Most evangelicals I know do as well. The use of Evangelical Christian should be narrowed. Recall Luterans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians are Evangelicals and Afro Americans in the American Baptist and AME Churches are also Evangelical and vote heavily Democratic. Also Hispanics in Pentecostal and Baptist Churches.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Wonderful news, but I wish that it would trickle down to the black community.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The association with evangelical Christians and conservative politics is overblown. I am a evangelical Christian and detest Trump. Most evangelicals I know do as well. The use of Evangelical Christian should be narrowed. Recall Luterans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians are Evangelicals and Afro Americans in the American Baptist and AME Churches are also Evangelical and vote heavily Democratic. Also Hispanics in Pentecostal and Baptist Churches.
There are always exceptions.

Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians are not lumped under the "white evangelical" umbrella and yes, they are mostly Democratic. In fact, "white evangelical" and mormons are the only religious demographics that are overwhelmingly Republican (like over 80%). Catholics lean Republican but not near as much as white evangelicals. Mainline Protestants range from conservative to liberal but aren't really defined by their politics like white evangelicals are. Their left-wing equivalent would be your "Christian Left" churches like United Churches of Christ, Metropolitan Community Churches, Universalist Unitarians, etc.

White evangelical, by definition, are churches that believe in a "born again" philosophy, that encourage proselytizing, and interpret the Bible literally.

How the faithful voted: A preliminary 2016 analysis | Pew Research Center

Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God | Gallup

Is this an encouraging trend? We are moving more and more away from the desert religions of the Middle East?
I've known my share of hard core Jeezos & have never met one who, when pressed, literally believed there was a talking snake in the garden of even or that Noah scoured the earth to collect two of every animal, fish & insect on the planet to load upon his arc. I'm sure some exist, but I have yet to ever meet one.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I've known my share of hard core Jeezos & have never met one who, when pressed, literally believed there was a talking snake in the garden of even or that Noah scoured the earth to collect two of every animal, fish & insect on the planet to load upon his arc. I'm sure some exist, but I have yet to ever meet one.
I grew up believing that and all of my family and most people where I live do believe that. That's how it is in the Bible Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies