Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, plus the atheists they have their own religion after all.
Atheists are a bunch of jerks too. They're just more stimulating on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 09:00 PM

77,773 posts, read 59,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Better yet, ask a black person how they feel about the Right's bigotry!

Because believe me, I know all about the left's hypocrisy, but it ain't like you right wingers are tolerant, fair or trustworthy either. The right is a friendly bastion for lowlife snakes.
Neither is.

My buddys entire family in Philly is a bunch of racist, straight-voting democratic pricks.

I lived in Chicago for years and saw the same thing.

Hell, just recently a cop gunned down an unarmed young man, tried to cover it up with payoffs and the day the newspapers got hold of it with court orders finally filed charges against the cop.

Fallout? Super retired. Cop hired by union. New Super, career Chicago cop.

Darn republicans.

Trying to slowly get you to understand that the lesser of two evils towards black americans is a democrat and the difference is measured in word by meters and by deed in microns.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Neither is.

My buddys entire family in Philly is a bunch of racist, straight-voting democratic pricks.

I lived in Chicago for years and saw the same thing.

Hell, just recently a cop gunned down an unarmed young man, tried to cover it up with payoffs and the day the newspapers got hold of it with court orders finally filed charges against the cop.

Fallout? Super retired. Cop hired by union. New Super, career Chicago cop.

Darn republicans.

Trying to slowly get you to understand that the lesser of two evils towards black americans is a democrat and the difference is measured in word by meters and by deed in microns.
Lol...you think you understand the world, or better yet the nature of people better than I do? Think again.

I know who is who and what is what. I've been around the block. A lot. A whole lot.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Atheists are a bunch of jerks too. They're just more stimulating on average.
Yep. THey're generally smarter people that can't prove anything about their religion either.

My personal philosophy is that as long as you're doing you and not acting upon other peoples lives then I'm hands off.

Typically why I leave atheists to their beliefs.

Now, when they start making wild claims of superiority and the failings of religion then it gets sticky in a hurry.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Lol...you think you understand the world, or better yet the nature of people better than I do? Think again.

I know who is who and what is what. I've been around the block. A lot. A whole lot.
When I hear you talking about the right and left....I start to doubt that.

Keep in mind, if I ranked posters I respected the most out of this entire forum...you'd be #1.

So please consider this a friendly disagreement.

In fact, hell...I might be wrong, I certainly have not had some of the experiences others have.

Just saying that from my origination in a very small town....to a large very"liberal" city....I saw more racism in the latter.

That might be the real issue though, lots of racist democrats that really aren't liberal in urban areas. If you want to question me on this one, you know I have more ammo than the marine corp.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,531,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
The irony of you dismissing my point...

You are a liberal. I can't technically gauruntee that, but based on what you said earlier, you are 100% a liberal. Becasue that's what most conservatives in America are; liberals. Liberal values founded the United States. That's not some radical idea. John Locke is considered the father of liberalism... read a Two Treatise of Government then go read the various documents the founding fathers wrote and tell me you don't see the overlap. They were liberals.

At some point in American history, a group of liberals started calling themselves "conservative" because technically, that is the traditional American viewpoint and they valued things like Christianity. But they were technically liberal, even if they called themselves conservative. Compare American conservatives to conservatives... pretty much anywhere else, and they are extremely different. And this is becasue American conservatism is just a different name for liberalism.

All of the intellectual work on liberalism, all of their principles, lead to supporting free speech. If someone says they are a liberal but believe some viewpoints should just not be allowed, they aren't liberal anymore. Or, they are, but becasue their education has been reduced to jobs training, they don't understand what being a liberal is. If we want to be upset about these so called new liberals, we need to look at our priorities as a society and consider how we shape our education.
I agree with you that most conservatives I know are far more liberal than they'd like to admit, but the definition of liberal is way different now than what it was at the founding of this nation.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,210,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I firmly advocate for free speech. Some of these College kids need to get a grip. But I firmly believe the left is far more tolerant then the right. Conservatives can I remind you of the Dixie Chicks.
That may be true generally speaking, but even then, I don't know if this is entirely fair. It sort of depends on how we view the word tolerant. See, the word really just means "to put up with." In general, I think most people are actually pretty tolerant. The thing is, many blur the line between accepting and tolerant. To use a fairly specific example, liberals are generally more accepting of homosexuality, while conservatives are often tolerant. Few are actively hostile against gay people; they have a view that can be summed up as "keep it to yourself." Is it accepting? Hell no. Is it tolerant... sort of.

I think I said it earlier, or in some other thread where some buffoon mockingly talks about the "intolerant left," I don't necessarily view tolerance as a virtue. I think it's good civil behavior, but I wouldn't parade it around any more than I would chewing with your mouth closed.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,210,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I agree with you that most conservatives I know are far more liberal than they'd like to admit, but the definition of liberal is way different now than what it was at the founding of this nation.
Not really. Liberal principles still exist within both parties. We're made to believe they're radically different, but I really think they speak the same language. Liberals believe in things like equality and freedom, representative governments that recognize rights, and capitalism. That is both parties. Certainly, they define how you express these things different, but they're both fully part of the liberal tradition, and I think that's the more important take away.

I'm fine reducing politics down to what we currently view it as. If we want Democrats to be liberal and Republians to be conservative, that's fine. What I DON'T want is a society of people who don't understand what liberalism actually is. That is to say, describing the Republican party as 'classical liberal' should not be controversial and describing the Democrats as 'communists' should be laughed at by everyone.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:29 AM

29,176 posts, read 22,170,981 times
Tolerance is in short supply everywhere. The faster it goes, the less there is left, but in the end, we still all end up living together.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:14 PM

18,419 posts, read 15,130,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Damn straight we're intolerant. We do not tolerate bigotry. We do not tolerate misogyny. We do not tolerate depriving 23 million Americans of healthcare. We do not tolerate cuts to food programs for our country's children and seniors in the name of tax cuts for the upper 1%. We do not tolerate highly questionable acts - acts that may well be ones of treason - by the individual who holds the highest office in this land. We do not tolerate fear mongering and racism. However, conservatives now tolerate all these things and more in the name of party over country. The hypocrisy of the Republican party and YOUR president's core is nothing short of incredible. For the better part of my adult life, I have considered myself an independent. Unfortunately, the republican party has been on a long downhill slide since the Reagan era. The current lack of integrity and the vacuousness of the message from the right has caused me and many other Americans to affiliate with the democrats to get away from the stench emanating from the conservatives these days.

Fareed Zakaria makes himself a laughingstock with the following words from your link:

"American universities seem committed to every kind of diversity except intellectual diversity. Conservative voices and views are being silenced entirely," Zakaria said.

The CNN host said he found this attitude strange, especially given that these incidents occurred on college campuses that "promised to give their undergraduates a liberal education."

"The world liberal in this context has nothing to do with today's partisan language, but refers instead to the Latin root, pertaining to liberty. And at the heart of liberty in the Western world has been freedom of speech. From the beginning, people understood that this meant protecting and listening to speech with which you disagreed," Zakaria argued.

That means, he said, not drowning out "the ideas that we find offensive."

In addition, Zakaria noted what he called "an anti-intellectualism" on the left.

"It's an attitude of self-righteousness that says we are so pure, we're so morally superior, we cannot bear to hear an idea with which we disagree," he said.

Excuse me?

YOUR president's daily temper tantrums and childish tweets fill the social media and the rest of the Internet and the cable news stations every day. I'd hardly call that "being silenced entirely." What more do you people want? You may enjoy being brain washed, but the rest of us prefer to think for ourselves. YOUR president states that our constitution is "archaic" when he is not allowed by the courts to carry out unconstitutional acts. YOUR president is doing his best to muzzle the findings of science and scientists - from disemboweling the EPA to cutting funding for the National Institute of Health and every other area of scientific research. YOUR president "cannot bear to hear an idea with which he disagrees." When the free press reports what he and his partners in crime are up to, he calls it "fake news" and calls journalists "enemies of freedom." When a reporter is physically attacked by a candidate who didn't care to be questioned about healthcare policies, YOU people enthusiastically voted him into office in the state of Montana. For shame, Montana. For shame.

As for anti-intellectualism? It is the conservatives who refuse to fund education for our children, who object to low cost tuition fees at our state colleges and universities, who declare that science is a scam. Zakaria is ranting at the face in his mirror. Why should ANYONE want to listen to him or Betsy DeVoss or Ivanka Trump or - for that matter, Vladimir Putin?

The republican party is made up of millionaires and suckers. If you want to find out which one you are, check your wallet.
After hundreds of leftist rants, Zakaria does one episode that doesn't fit the left's narrative, and you are ready to throw him under the bus?

Actually, that's kind of apropos here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies