Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are broad-brushing by focusing on the noisy minority of either party, this is not a "large portion of the party". You'd surely get that impression if you read this place or Reddit but CD in no way reflects the average voter out there. The title to your thread says as much - most people out in the heartland are practical centrists that want nothing to do with the extremist dogma on either the Right or the Left. Not only that, many people in this country don't think of themselves as Democrats or Republicans; they might vote either way depending on the needs of the day. Latest surveys show 40% think of themselves as independents, so that means that roughly 30% identify as a Republican and 30% Democrat, and even in that bunch, maybe 10% would swing to the other side in some elections. So I'd say roughly 20% dyed in the wool Republican, 20% Democrat. And of THAT bunch maybe a third are radicals. At the end of the day it's 10% of the population that are the rabble rousers making all the partisan noise.

The large portion are followers who will blindly follow their party leaders like sheep.
In this past election, the republicans and dems put up two ****TY candidates...and the followers blindly ate it up. Instead of challenging Trump or Clinton, they have blinders on and can't be reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:56 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are broad-brushing by focusing on the noisy minority of either party, this is not a "large portion of the party". You'd surely get that impression if you read this place or Reddit but CD in no way reflects the average voter out there. The title to your thread says as much - most people out in the heartland are practical centrists that want nothing to do with the extremist dogma on either the Right or the Left. Not only that, many people in this country don't think of themselves as Democrats or Republicans; they might vote either way depending on the needs of the day. Latest surveys show 40% think of themselves as independents, so that means that roughly 30% identify as a Republican and 30% Democrat, and even in that bunch, maybe 10% would swing to the other side in some elections. So I'd say roughly 20% dyed in the wool Republican, 20% Democrat. And of THAT bunch maybe a third are radicals. At the end of the day it's 10% of the population that are the rabble rousers making all the partisan noise.
Sorry, but I grew up in rural Texas and I spent many years living and working in Seattle. It's a large portion of both parties.

Also, 33% is a large portion IMO. This post makes no sense. You write several sentences about how it's not a large portion of either party only to admit that you feel 1 in 3 people in each party are off their rockers. That's millions upon millions of politically unreasonable people no?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Please cite that case where the IRS executed someone by blowing their brains out for not paying taxes...
Has someone been drinking too much of the Ben Shapiro cool-aide?

That republicans deny climate change, are obsessed with the 2nd amendment but don't give a crap about any other amendment, that they pretend to be representing working Americans while screwing them over, that they're usually anti-abortion like they "care so much about life", but then don't give a crap about keeping them alive after birth when it comes to funding healthcare.
Not secular enough.

That democrats are often liberal about immigration (I mean **** learn from our mistakes across the pond already), identity politics, relying on minorities and pandering to them...
Not secular enough.

Not sure where I fit in on the american spectrum, probably left when it comes to funding healthcare and education, being Pro abortions and gun-control
Right when it comes to immigration, free speech and allergy towards the identity crap.
I'm guessing this pouts me somewhere center left?
It's pretty hard-right by Swedish standards.
A lot of good posts on this thread but Swede's here is one of the best.

However, I would say "that they pretend to be representing working Americans while screwing them over" is a problem of both party establishments not just the Republicans. After all, what do you think Democrat's immigration policies do to working Americans, especially poorer Americans?

I think the real problem is that once a party wins the election, the extremists come out of the woodwork. It is happening with the Republicans right now. I cannot speak for others, but I did not vote for Trump because I want to gut the EPA and the environment, go back to big oil and build up the military while cutting everything else.

And so the pendulum will swing back the other way.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is violence not evil? Is forcing people at gunpoint to pay for other people's compassion not evil? Is feeling entitled to other people's legally obtained property not evil?

Please name one Democrats' policy that doesn't involve violence.
I think literally putting people at gunpoint overseas (wars) is evil.

Allowing corporations to slowly poison entire communities (pollution) is evil.

Allowing insurance companies to profit off the sick to the extent they do is evil - especially when Americans are forced at gunpoint to not explore alternative treatments (like pot, ayahuasca or psilocybin mushrooms).

Allowing cops to literally steal citizens' property at gunpoint (civil forfeiture) is evil.

Both parties are guilty of allowing these things to go on, but Republicans do so with more vigour.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
Republicans: the religious stuff and such an emphasis on defense. Defense is good, that's the gov'ts main job but come on. It's ridiculous.

Democrats: I'd probably be voting Democrat if they weren't so much against white males. All of the social BS, gays, LGBT

Old 05-30-2017, 03:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What violence do you speak of? Are you referring to consequences for breaking laws? Do you have a problem with the Constitution?

That's been known for thousands of years.
Slavery was constitutional before. Do you agree with that?

Yes, I am talking about the consequences of breaking the law. Just because you voted to create a law, it doesn't mean it's not evil. Using violence against peaceful people is pure evil.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As a centrist, what bugs you the most about either political party?

I don't know if 'bugs' is the proper term but the degree of blind faith people put in either party amazes me. I'd love to see a good (I) come along to give both parties the smack-down they so heartily deserve.

Me, too.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Honestly, I don't think Tim Kaine is that unreasonable. Had he ran on his own ticket and been able to make it through the gauntlet of far left identity politics, I think he's a Democrat version of John Kasich. I didn't like him in that VP debate because of his constant interrupting, but I think he would be a popular president for the same reason I think Kasich would have been a popular president, in that both of them are actually pretty reasonable. Only the far left or right would relentlessly hate on either of these guys.
Reasonable people are a dying breed. It's ridiculous and worse than children in a school yard. Kids are taught to get along--give and get--work together. It's what grown ups should be doing. Politicians play people and for their own egos mostly.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A lot of good posts on this thread but Swede's here is one of the best.

However, I would say "that they pretend to be representing working Americans while screwing them over" is a problem of both party establishments not just the Republicans.
This is probably true, also ty

Quote:
After all, what do you think Democrat's immigration policies do to working Americans, especially poorer Americans?
Well after decades of irresponsible migration policies in Sweden and growing up in a 95+% muslim neighborhood I know the problems more than well, especially with excessive Islam migration. From my point of view the problems doesn't directly hit the "workers" in the way most people think like "stolen jobs" for example. The main issues I see with this is that when they become to many it's like oil concentration reaching a critical concentration at which it emulsifies into isolated bodies of its own. Similarly these populations gather in parallel societies of their own, where rules start bending their way, often abusing the constitutional rights of the given country they have moved into to further their agendas. This leads to culture crashes, local crime spiking, bad school results and locally low productivity. They create their own divide from the rest of society and then blame authorities and overall society for their problems, adding to identity politics, rapefugee apologists and other retardations.

Quote:
I think the real problem is that once a party wins the election, the extremists come out of the woodwork. It is happening with the Republicans right now. I cannot speak for others, but I did not vote for Trump because I want to gut the EPA and the environment, go back to big oil and build up the military while cutting everything else.

And so the pendulum will swing back the other way.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Slavery was constitutional before. Do you agree with that?

Yes, I am talking about the consequences of breaking the law. Just because you voted to create a law, it doesn't mean it's not evil. Using violence against peaceful people is pure evil.
Well it's pretty simple if you don't want a government that collects taxes and enforces its laws I'm sure Somalia would be your paradise... of course when taxes are not collected by the government warlords take over and collect what they will instead, but anarchy is a special brand of freedom to some of you I suppose?

I'm still waiting for that statistic of yours on number of american people executed specifically by head-shot from the IRS btw

Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM

727 posts, read 390,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As a centrist, what bugs you the most about either political party?

I don't know if 'bugs' is the proper term but the degree of blind faith people put in either party amazes me. I'd love to see a good (I) come along to give both parties the smack-down they so heartily deserve.
I'd love for voters to revolt and vote all incumbents out.

We can't do a gradual change because every newbie coming in is instantly swamped with Ds & Rs who make certain the newbie knows become one of us or we'll make sure this is your last term.

Politicians have proven they can't police themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies