Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Did they even come? Were they actually called?
That's the thing. Did this Republican guy spout off for nothing? Just for show -- just for the base.

And we all fall for it every freak'n time.

We all need to demand more from our politicians.

We don't need them to put on good shows so we can beat our chest and declare our superior and righteous we are.

We need politicians trying to fix things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,884,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Silly question. Were they actually illegals?
They were assumed to be since they were brown, that i.s how some peoples pea brains work.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 AM

448 posts, read 363,657 times
Good they are criminals. Deport the real deplorable s.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM

21,406 posts, read 10,485,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
On one hand, I understand why some would want to limit immigration, on the other, US immigration policy is historically racist. Apparently, all those immigrants pouring through Ellis Island and piling on top of each other in tenements weren't a drain on our system. We had no immigration laws whatsoever until non-whites started coming. The first immigration law in the country was literally called the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Immigration has always been central to the American experience, and for most of that time it was free and unfettered...open borders, if you will. Most of you are here, right now, because of open borders. But, of course, your ancestors did it the wi...I mean "right" way.
Do you think labor needs are the same today as they were in the 19th and early 20th Centuries? Then it took ten people to do the work of one person now in a lot of fields. Allowing Latin American countries to offload their poor (but often brilliant) citizenry on us has kept their countries in the crapper. They would be better off without the brain drain, and this generation of activists could probably effect some changes there if they would expend as much energy fighting for reforms there as they do fighting for open borders here.

I would love to see this entire hemisphere thriving.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 AM

21,406 posts, read 10,485,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They were assumed to be since they were brown, that i.s how some peoples pea brains work.
Actually, they were assumed to be because they had signs saying they were illegal and not going anywhere.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 AM

25,788 posts, read 16,422,799 times
Quote:
On one hand, I understand why some would want to limit immigration, on the other, US immigration policy is historically racist. Apparently, all those immigrants pouring through Ellis Island and piling on top of each other in tenements weren't a drain on our system. We had no immigration laws whatsoever until non-whites started coming. The first immigration law in the country was literally called the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Immigration has always been central to the American experience, and for most of that time it was free and unfettered...open borders, if you will. Most of you are here, right now, because of open borders. But, of course, your ancestors did it the wi...I mean "right" way.
Our population is at the high side of ideal right now.

Why would we want to keep bringing people in? There is nothing in the Constitution about perpetual immigration.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,506,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Silly question. Were they actually illegals?
There is no such thing as a silly question

Apparently there were illegals there.

Texas Lawmakers Trade Assault Allegations After One Calls ICE On Protesters : The Two-Way : NPR

GOP State Rep. Matt Rinaldi says he called Immigration and Customs Enforcement on the protesters, several of whom carried signs proclaiming "I am illegal and here to stay."

"He came up to us and said, 'I'm glad I just called ICE to have all these people deported,'" state Rep. César Blanco said at a news conference after the incident, according to the Tribune. State Rep. Ramon Romero recalls blunter language: "He said, 'I called ICE — f*** them.' "

At this point, Rinaldi says that Romero "physically assaulted" him, and that another Democratic lawmaker, Poncho Nevarez, threatened to "get" Rinaldi on his way to his car."

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:

Ya, it is a privilege to come here and be apart of the greatest nation ever.

It is not a right and we get to choose who comes and who stays out.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,506,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, it is a privilege to come here and be apart of the greatest nation ever.

It is not a right and we get to choose who comes and who stays out.
Other countries do this, right?
Choose who gets to come and stay out.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Actually, they were assumed to be because they had signs saying they were illegal and not going anywhere.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies